Start by marking “The Forever Street” as Want to Read:
The Forever Street

The Forever Street

Berek, a young penniless Jew of eighteen is struggling to make a home of Turk Place, a desolate street that, in 1873 Vienna, was little more than a Gypsy encampment. But Berek believes fiercely in his own power to forge miracles. Taking the caretaker's daughter as his bride, Berek is confident he can thrive on faith. When a mysterious piece of stone comes into his possessi ...more
Published June 2nd 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 25th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Forever Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forever Street

Johan
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have a copy of this book authographed by the author. I got it on the occasion when he visited Vienna and read some pages from this book. I think still, after many years now and many books about the subject, it is one of the best books I read about the social changes that happened in Vienna during the 19th and 20th century, the upcoming nazisism in Central Europe and all the tragic consequences.
Heidi
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have really enjoyed Frederic Morton's books over the years, but I could not bring myself to put more time into this book and gave up after 343 pages. It just dragged on and the characters were all strange in so many ways. It was really more like South American magical realism than something European. I'll stick with Morton's non-fiction.
Asha Zarr
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shocking, poignant, Beautiful.
Shira
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Very interesting and nice connections in time forged between the origins of the stone, and 'Black' Mustafa (I guess he would seem 'dark' to the residents of Vienna, even 400 years after the seige, with very nice descriptions of the minarets...), the Prime Minister, and the current life of the city, again seeming to be under seige from dark forces.

Definitely bears another reading next year.
Florian Kogler
Apr 24, 2016
Romana
Oct 22, 2016
Dec 04, 2014
Frederic Morton (born Fritz Mandelbaum) was a Jewish Austrian writer who emigrated to the United States in 1940. Born Fritz Mandelbaum in Vienna, Morton was raised as the son of a blacksmith who had specialised in forging imperial medals. In the wake of the Anschluss of 1938 his father was arrested but later released again. In 1939 the family fled to Britain, and the following year they migrated t ...more