Start by marking “Helen Keller: Toward the Light” as Want to Read:
Helen Keller: Toward the Light

Helen Keller: Toward the Light

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  326 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
From the age of a year and a half, Helen Keller could not hear. She could not see, and she did not speak. She lived in a dark and lonely worlduntil Annie Sullivan came to teach her. Annie traced letters and words in Helen's hand, and made Helen realize she could "talk" to people. Eager to make up for lost time, Helen threw herself into her studies. She decided to teach oth ...more
Published October 15th 1980 by Yearling (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Helen Keller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helen Keller

Laura Verret
Helen Keller is one of the most well-known characters from American history – and deservedly so. Her singular determination to overcome her handicaps teaches us all a lesson in fortitude and courage.

Her Life.

Helen Keller was born on June 27, 1880 to a pair of doting parents. She could see. She could burble and giggle. She could toddle around the house bringing joy and sunshine to those around her. That was before she caught the fever. After her illness she could still stumble around her great pl
Helen Keller by Stewart graff is about learning about the history how helen Keller life was and how she changes the perception of disabilities
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it

I have been thinking about this book for quite some time, but I knew I would get nowhere by typing in "Helen Keller." I knew if I did that, I'd get 400 results (hyperbole) and probably wouldn't have the time and patience to wade through all of them to find the one I was looking for. Also, if there was no image of the cover of the book, I'd never even know if I came across the book I was looking for.

Today I was looking on another person's page and saw she has a kids/young adult bio of Hele
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helen Keller is a non-fiction book by Stewart and Polly Anne Graff. It's about the life of the famous, Helen Keller, who grew up both blind and deaf.
Her parents didn't think she would be fully functional because of her loss of sight and hearing, but then they found Anne Sullivan, who would change Helen's life. Anne Sullivan taught Helen that she was just like anyone else, and being blind and deaf wouldn't stop her from being successful.
I love how the book told about Helen's feelings and her
Kelsea Breedlove
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Helen Keller, is an inspiring story about a young girl who can see or hear and seems completely helpless to the outside world, but with great determination tackles everything in her path and proves to everyone just how capable she truly is. In your classroom one could use this when talking about health and how people are all made differently. You could have your students write down things that makes them different from their peers and then have them discuss how those differences make them unique ...more
Samantha Lindsey
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a biography about a lady named Helen Keller. Helen was blind and deaf. Initially, it was so hard for her to function in the world. She found determination and started to become skilled in so many things. She wanted to prove that she was capable and able to do things normal people could do. She did just this. She was a talented and determined lady. This would be a great way to bring in history in the classroom.
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read a biography for a book report and my mom recommended reading about Helen Keller because she read about her when she was young. This book told a lot of interesting facts about Helen, who was blind and deaf. Her teacher was Anne Sullivan and they were friends for Helen's whole life. Helen lived to be 88.
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think everyone should know about the life of Helen Keller. Her life story in itself is very inspirational and teaches perserverance. This book is well written for children as well as adults to understand some of lifetime achievements in everyday life to national accolades.
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite's as a kid! I have read this and many other Helen Keller books AND movies and never get tired of her. I probably learned from her to never give up on anything, even if I have to suffer to get what I really want.
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book (and a lot more Helen Keller books) for my book report on Helen Keller and I thought it was really interesting. I like how Helen Keller always stuck to what she wanted to do and never gave up. She was a really interesting person to do my report on.
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She was a blind girl who felt that she was in a different world because she was blind and deaf.
Zoë Katherine Littlefield
The book was interesting because it told us about Helen Keller and her growing up in Alabama and about how she grew up to be very famous even though she was deaf and blind.
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
A very brief overview of Helen Keller's remarkable life. My daughter really liked it, and she wants to read more about her.
good book, something to read quickly
Jennifer B.
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was obsessed with the story of Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan as a girl, and still am, really.
Samantha Jayakody
hellen keller was an amazing person
Marina Ever vidal
the book is so good and is kind of sad i loved it so much i read it two times

Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Simple read. Always an inspiring person to learn about.
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this book purely for nostalgic purposes. The first time I read it I was 6 or 7, and I remember loving the part where she runs into the kitchen and starts to grab warm chunks of a freshly baked cake. Reading it as an adult of course I was blown away by how intense her life was, but I also thought it was cool how they showed the practicality of it all; how she had to continuously find jobs and ways to support her livelihood, and herself. Definitely a great book for a child to use fo ...more
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chosen as a christmas present for my granddaughter. I wanted to read it first. What remarkable women who are very inspiring
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book it was nice and educational :)
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Love this book but Idk where to click so i can read it it would be really nice if someone tells me the steps
Brittany Quigley
written in a chapter book
tells the story of Helen Keller without just listing facts
students could easily follow a story line and would be intrigued to follow along
Jan 15, 2011
Oct 22, 2012
  • The Story of Harriet Tubman: Conductor of the Underground Railroad
  • Gulliver's Travels
  • Helen Keller
  • Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution
  • If You Traveled on the Underground Railroad
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • Helen Keller
  • Wilbur and Orville Wright: Young Fliers
  • Still More Two-Minute Mysteries
  • Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • Miracle at the Plate
  • Spot Can Count (Color): First Edition
  • A Picture Book of Harriet Tubman
  • Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf: With a Fully-Orchestrated and Narrated CD
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Madame Amelia Tells All (Amelia's Notebooks, #10)
  • Sadie and the Snowman

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99