Start by marking “Strays” as Want to Read:
Strays

Strays

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Here is a novel of profound wisdom and amazing insight. This story belongs to any woman and every man who has ever struggled with their destinies. Heralded by the Humane Society of the United States as revealing journey about the importance of animals and our enviornment to our whole existence both spiritual and physical and pitched as Conversations with God meets Dr. Doli ...more
Published October 15th 2009 by Dupuis North Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Strays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strays

Orbs n Rings
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A spiritual and powerful life-changing journey into the consciousness.

STRAYS revolves around the life of the main character Jane, who is having feelings of frustration, failure and disappointment after being laid off from her job as a staff writer for a newspaper in Atlanta. Feelings of loneliness also surface as she wonders about her current relationship with a controlling boyfriend named Dan. Jane decides she needs to rethink her life and soon after she is in route from the grocery store with
Cathy Winch
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really touched by this book, although at first was a bit leary about "talking animals". I swear I will never look at a spider the same way! I loved how the author took wonderful Native American stories seemlessly interjected them into the plot; and I especially loved the story of how dog became man's best friend. I found the author's style easy to read, the humor delightful, and the wisdom imparted profound. There were so many inspiring little reminders about who we really are and what our ...more
Lisawag
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've ever read. Very spiritual, highly recommended!
PJ Swanwick
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Novel's insight is highly accessible, but only mildly entertaining

3.5 stars: As a parable, this story of a city girl who flees to the mountains and discovers the wisdom of the earth is an easy, interesting introduction to spiritual insight. However, Jeanne Webster's "Strays" fails to deliver the key to a good novel--a compelling plot.

Story: Laid off from her first job as a staff writer for an Atlanta newspaper and stuck in a dysfunctional relationship, Jane retreats to a cabin in the Smokey Moun
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This book was full of life lessons. Jane seemed young to be having an existential life crisis, but the lessons she learned would be great for everyone to know.

There was a simplicity of characters that was quite remarkable. There was Jane and the dog. Everyone else appeared in only a scene or two and played very minor parts. The entire story revolved around Jane and her inner transformation.

While it seemed a bit unrealistic that Jane would undergo such drastic change in less than a week, her jour
Bill
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an amazing book. It is very inspiring as an introspective exercise in taking a good hard look at one's choices in life. In incorporates animal life and our interrelationship with all the other creatures on the earth. If you have ever thought you were "lost" in some part of your life, this is a good book to help one refocus on what is really important and what is not.
Avary
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
"The Shack" without Jesus. While I could accept talking with animals and plants, it was hard to accept a 24-year-old feeling her life was lost because she hadn't figured out what her purpose was. No really new insight into life.
Recommended highly by Barbara V
Sandy
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Gives great encouragement and insight to the nature around us and our meaning or purpose and how we use out mind as words to bring good and bad into our lives. Very thought provoking.
Georgina
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think this book hits home with it's readers. You find yourself taking that journey with her on a voyage of self discovery. Great read!! I loved this book. This is one I will re-read I am sure multiple times.
Jeannie
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of The Shack, and was every bit as good.
I, like some of the other reviewers was leery about the talking animals in the beginning, but they grow on you.
I will never look at a spider the same again.
This is a very reflective book, and will have your searching for answers.
Karen
Oct 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I admit I skimmed this after it became too tedious to read with all seriousness. The author is dealing with some BIG IDEAS here, but it is not well written.
Alison
James Thomas
Aug 27, 2015
Diane Jacqueline
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Was pleasantly surprised. Very good book, love the spiritual aspect. Well written.
Siri Ved Khalsa
rated it did not like it
Jan 16, 2016