Start by marking “I Heart You, You Haunt Me” as Want to Read:

Girl meets boy.

Girl loses boy.

Girl gets boy back...

...sort of.

Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows n
Published October 27th 2009 by Simon Pulse (first published January 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I Heart You, You Haunt Me, please sign up.

Sky well it is pretty adutish, I'm 13 and I'm reading it with no problem. It is really sad, I mean really SAD!! I cried for a day, my friend couldn't go…morewell it is pretty adutish, I'm 13 and I'm reading it with no problem. It is really sad, I mean really SAD!! I cried for a day, my friend couldn't go to school because She couldn't talk through the tears. If you've ever lost someone you love you really sympathize. I'd say it depends on how much you've been exposed to. I'm fine. (less)
Kira K It's a book about a girl that is haunted by her boyfriend, I bet you'd like it

Sara ♥
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
August 22, 2012

Again, it was SAD, but it was a lovely story about how a teenage girl might deal with the grief of losing someone she loved. :)

March 3, 2009

4.5 stars. It was REALLY good. I'm glad I bought it!

It was a lovely (SAD) story about a girl, Ava, whose boyfriend, Jackson, has died, and how she deals with her grief and guilt over his death. Plus, the entire book is written in verse, which I loved. It was just a really nice, sweet story that ended on a positive, hopeful note.

I asked my husb

Something behind me.
Something familiar.
Hauntingly familiar.
I glance behind me,
but I don't see anything.
Or anyone.
And then,
when I look in the mirror again,
I see,
for a split second,
not just me,
but someone else.
Jackson."

can I just say that i adore the cover. it's more lovely in person. it has this soft, velvety feel to it that i just so love <3

i read this over a year ago but, I'm going to go off what i remember. Maybe I'll re-write this when i get back home and giv
Zulema
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books that I have ever read. I absolutely love this book. I am the kind of person that enjoys reading about love & friendships. If you like those kind of books, then you should read this book in particular. This book is about a girl named Ava. She is 15 years old and her boyfriend has just died. She keeps blaming herself that she is the one that killed him when it really wasn't her fault. Eventhough her boyfriend is dead, he comes back. Well, sort of. He comes back sp ...more
Tatiana
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: YA book club pick
Shelves: ya, verse, 2010
Call me naive, but I have always thought that writers choose verse over prose for their works to create something aesthetically pleasing, meaningful, evocative, highly emotional - all that with a bare minimum of words.

Apparently, these days novels in verse are written to appeal to reluctant readers who have no patience to read books with descriptions, character development and rich story lines. Or rhymes.

They
ways.

Well, I am
Kristi
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally got my hands on a copy of this book! I’ve heard so many good things about it, I couldn’t wait to read it for myself. I was a little worried about how it would work out telling a story in verse, but I loved it! Even without using a lot of words you were still able to feel the intense emotions Ave was having.

If you haven’t heard what this story is about yet, I’ll give you a brief overview. The story starts as Jackson’s funeral. Jackson was is Ava’s boyfriend. Throughout the story Ava is
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse
I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder is a story filled with love, grief, and guilt. Once again, Lisa Schroeder broke my heart into pieces. But this book actually broke my heart with a bit of disappointment as well.

I was not going to review this book, but Lisa Schroeder deserves much better than a blank page with three stars. The issue is mine. It happens, much like in real life, we can’t like and connect with everyone or every character. Hell, the world would be a boring place if we did!
Mayra
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: what-a-letdown
This just seems like a fifteen-year-old girl's journal. It's not special. It has nothing new.
I honestly thought her idea about writing a book, which is usually in prose, using verses was amazing! I thought it was going to be tricky to write a whole story like that. But really, it seemed like she wrote that in a day.
It's just phrases clipped at some point and joined together in what I think are supposed to be stanzas. What's the amazing idea in that?
There is simple writing, but this is just too
Janie
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok, it was a fast read & story line not that incredible. A one time read.
Oh Hello Sandra
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you believe in ghosts?
What if the person you love the most dies?
Of course you’d feel devastated, distraught and depressed.
But what if he comes back?
Would you be happy that he kept his promise to be with you forever, even as a ghost?

Ava’s boyfriend Jackson died because of a dare and she blames herself for it.
Driven by guilt she shuts everyone out of her life.
She thought she lost him forever.
But then Jackson came back.
When she looked at the mirror, the saw a glimpse of Jackson behind her and sh
Michael
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
It took me about forty-five minutes to read this book. That's the fastest I've ever read anything.

This novel follows a teenager named Ava, a girl mourning the death of her boyfriend, Jackson. About thirty pages in, we find out that Jackson can (somehow) communicate with Ava, by opening/closing cupboards, turning on the CD player, lighting candles, writing on bouncy balls (?), etc. But, of course, he can't materialize himself to where Ava can see him.

And that's basically what goes on throughout t
Heizen
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book is a good . It can make you cry , there are so much sad things that happened in the story. I really recommend this to my friends who likes Romance/anything about love.
Danielle is rad
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to cry. How can you read this book and not want to cry? I wanted to go back in time and save Jackson for Ava. You could feel her grief, her pain, and her sorrow. I HIGHLY recommend to anyone who wants to feel heavy emotion through a book. It was so heartbreaking but breathtaking. I finished in an hour and that's because I couldn't put it down, I needed to know what happens next, and I found out. I loved this, and now I want to cry.
Yona
description

I just can't have words to describe this book. I've never thought verses can have such a power in expressing all this feelings with so little words.

The love in this book is one great love, the love in which the happiness of you beloved means everything it is more powerful than life or death.

Jackson and Ava loved each other so strongly, they were like two soul mates, happy when trey are together until one day all of this just ends. But Jackson returns, his love for Ava is so strong, he wants her
Kat
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A "verse novel", meaning that the author took some bad unoriginal prose and arranged it in choppy verse format to make it look like poetry. I am usually generous with my stars since I try to read YA stuff with teen interests in mind as well as my own, and this would indeed be a half-decent "quick pick" for teen girls, but personally I thought it was pretty awful. It does read quick, though...I read this during my lunch break with time leftover to eat a sandwich, which is good because I wouldn't ...more
Madeleine
While i wasn't expecting to be blown away by this book, i definately wasn't very swayed. I knew picking it up that it would maybe kill an hour or two and that's really all it did. There were some cute moments but mostly i was confused, bored, or quite frankly, annoyed. i was never a fan of the main character and even jackson got irratating by the fact that he is SO FREAKING PERSISTANT. This is another book that treats teen years like the be-all and end-all, that their budding love excuses him no ...more
Fiona
THAT'S IT??! THAT'S EFFIN' IT????!!!!

What a crappy book.
So I just wasted my time & effort reading this.

Okay. Still, it was a toleratably sweet story, but there was nothing really special. Also, it wasn't sentimental as I thought it would be. Plus, near the end, it feels like something REALLY BIG will happen, but nothing did. It's just the climax, then end. Just like that. No falling action, what so ever.

It was scathingly dry and it didn't really grab my attention. 1 star rating because most
Doug Beatty
Apr 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
This was a horrible novel, written in verse about Ava Bender and her boyfriend Jackson. Apparently, when going out to a secluded teen hotspot, Ava dared Jackson to jump into a pool from a ledge and he ended up hitting his head on a rock and drowning. The ghost of Jackson begins to haunt Ava by turning on the CD player at random times, showing up in the mirror, haunting her dreams and sometimes slamming cupboard doors. Ava cannot tell anybody about this and feels guilty and starts spending her ti ...more
Annalisa
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse
I've always wondered if I would like a novel in verse or if the poetry would be distracting to the story. I still don't know the answer to that. While Schroeder wrote this novel in verse, it doesn't read that way. There is no rhythm to the lines (I'm not talking about rhyming but iambic pentameter or something to make it read like poetry). It just reads like sentences cut in the middle and about halfway through I got tired of pausing so many times in a sentence when there is no reason for the pa ...more
Kristina Čechová
Jedinečný styl psaní Lisy mě několikrát během čtení rozplakal. Hlavní hrdinkou je Ava a její zesnulý přítel Jackson, který se - jak je vidno už z coveru knihy - objevuje po boku své přítelkyně jako duch. Zprvu je Ava šťastná, že ji její Jackson neopustil ani po smrti, ale jak dlouho se tohle dá snášet? Jak dlouho se dá snášet vídat a dotýkat se svého přítele jen ve snech, jak dlouho se dá vydržet poslouchat jeho hlas jen ve své mysli? Jak dlouho tohle ŽIVÝ člověk dokáže snášet, když sám postupem ...more
Madison D
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. Honestly, this is the best poetry book that I have ever read. I give this book five stars because it is truly amazing.
Misty
meh...
will revisit

[later:]
still meh.
Review to come.

Review:
When Ava loses her boyfriend Jackson in a horrible accident, she feels like her world is going to end. She blames herself for his death, she shuts herself off from her friends and her life, and spends her time wishing she had Jackson back. And then, suddenly she does. Whenever she's alone, Jackson comes to her. He haunts her, speaking to her in her mind, touching her with cold ghostly caresses. Ava is so happy to have him back, but she kn
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Ava is grieving the loss of her boyfriend, Jackson, who died in a freak accident. She is carrying around a huge weight of guilt on her shoulders. She feels completely responsible for his death and cannot move on. She doesn’t eat, doesn’t sleep, and doesn’t function in normal everyday rituals. Her family and friends are worried about her but she just can’t let go of Jackson. Everything she does, sees, hears reminds her of him. Then Ava sees Jackson’s ghost and starts to feel his presence on a day ...more
Karin
Ava loves Jackson and Jackson loves Ava. Her life has improved greatly since she met him and they started dating. So when Jackson dies unexpectedly at a school party she is devastated. Even the simplest things like getting out of bed and eating seem beyond her abilities. Her feeling of guilt over his death weigh heavily on her and prevent her from beginning the healing process.

During one of her darkest moments she feels a brush of coldness against her skin. Hope fills her up as she thinks it co
Arlene
I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder is a quick read written in verse that packs a powerful punch with just a few words. The story is about love, loss, grief and recovery. I never thought such a complete story could be developed with so little writing. The book contains all the right elements of a great read including a dramatic plot, vivid setting and well developed characters that carry you through the story seemingly quickly and dramatically.

The book is about a girl named Ava that lose
Brooke
Not a great deal to say about this one. It wasn't at all what I expected, the story or the feel, and I'm assuming that has a lot to do with the fact that it was written in verse.

The characters were very simple, and there wasn't really any complexity to the plot. It was a quick read, but I didn't really feel anything major about it. Towards the end my heart strings were tugged a little, but it was really too little too late.

That being said, it was a cute read, and there were some strong emotions
Kyle
Seriously, don't waste your time on this verse imposter of a novel. Putting regular ass sentences in stanza format isn't verse. And if you're still going to do that, at least put it in a creative format.

Otherwise, flat characters, the writing itself isn't very good (I always expect beautiful writing from verse novels - what can I say, Ellen Hopkins has set the bar very high), the "romance" is creepy and stupid, it's boring and unmemorable, and deserves nothing more than 2 stars.

And that's that.
Amelia. . .♥
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
0MG!!! This is the best romantic book EVER! It's so sweet, and so sad, and so wonderful! You HAVE to read it!!!
Whitney Atkinson
i'm a sucker for these books written in verse because they're so quick and to the point but still so rich and they stick with you. another AMAZING book by lisa, i'm becoming addicted.
L.P. Logan
All the stars!

This book slayed me....and then managed to put my heart back together.

I LOVED it!

Recommended to everyone!
  • You Are Not Here
  • Love and Leftovers
  • What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know (What My Mother Doesn't Know, #2)
  • Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It: False Apology Poems
  • Aleutian Sparrow
  • The Weight of the Sky
  • The Clearing
  • The Deathday Letter
Lisa Schroeder is the author of more than twenty books for kids and teens. Her latest young adult novel is ALL WE HAVE IS NOW, and the latest novel for 8-12 year olds is KEYS TO THE CITY, both with Scholastic. She lives in Oregon where she spends her time reading, writing, baking yummy treats, and hiking with her family.

twitter: www.twitter.com/lisa_schroeder
facebook: www.facebook.com/lisaschroede
More about Lisa Schroeder...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • A Severed Wasp: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
“Come with me,' Mom says.
To the library.
Books and summertime
go together.”
262 likes
“When you meet someone so different from yourself, in a good way, you don't even have to kiss to have fireworks go off. It's like fireworks in your heart all the time. I always wondered, do opposites really attract? Now I know for sure they do. I'd grown up going to the library as often as most people go to the grocery store. Jackson didn't need to read about exciting people or places. He went out and found them, or created excitement himself if there wasn't any to be found. The things I like are pretty simple. Burning CDs around themes, like Songs to Get You Groove On and Tunes to Fix a Broken Heart; watching movies; baking cookies; and swimming. It's like I was a salad with a light vinaigrette, and Jackson was a platter of seafood Cajun pasta. Alone, we were good. Together, we were fantastic.” 236 likes