Start by marking “Trial By Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)” as Want to Read:
Trial By Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)

Trial By Fire (Ali Reynolds #5)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  2,953 Ratings  ·  283 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance’s sleuth Ali Reynolds is back for another thrilling adventure as she strives to grant a dying woman’s last request—to find the people who nearly killed her.

Ali Reynolds is back in the thick of it in the latest adventure in the New York Times bestselling suspense series. Taking on a media relations position with the Yavapai Count
Published December 1st 2009 by Touchstone (first published November 9th 2009)

Gloria Bernal
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is so "today." How can you not love a novel that features a 70-something yr old Nun whose lifeline is her iPhone and knows how to use it to outsmart a bad guy? Even her Bishop is techy. Loved it! In this case, the main victim of attempted murder by arson is a woman, pulled naked and burned over 50% of her body, left to die at the scene, but she doesn't...yet she can't remember anything or talk. I found this part of the book totally engrossing, reading from the burned victim's point of ...more
Sarah Anne
This book had surprisingly little that happened in it. There were no suspenseful moments, until one bit around the 70% mark, and I figured out the killer early in the book. Despite these flaws I enjoyed the book because I enjoyed the characters. I've liked the other Ali Reynolds books more as far as I can remember, but for everything this one lacked, it made up for in simply enjoying the characters.

And Sister Anselm was awesome.
Stacy
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, and Jance's books are so hard to put down.
Violeta Petrovska
Како што ветив, книгава ја прочитав покрај прекрасните плажи на Скијатос, оценката се должи на фактот што имаше многу личности, па ми се мешаа малку со брановите, поздрав Марија, уште еднаш ти благодарам за прекрасниот подарок, посебно за посветата!!!!
Judd Exley
Mar 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell if the author is a stuck-up wealthy bitch and her characters (and the hero) are modeled after her, or if she's taking the piss and secretly wants us to fkn hate Ali Reynolds.

Either way, hate her I do.

There is so little to like about this character that I can't even begin to list her flaws. Suffice to say that she'll never fail to mention if somebody's got designer clothing or furniture, or if somebody's hair or makeup is crap, yet everything in-between is NEVER mentioned.

In fact, ma
Bruce Snell
This is the 5th book in the Ali Reynolds series by J.A. Jance. It is worth noting that this is the best book of the series thus far, although Jance recycled many ideas previously used earlier in the Joanna Brady series. Ali is hired by the county sheriff's department as a Public Information Officer, and runs into problems with the officers who won't accept her and even more problems with the receptionist - themes taken directly from Joanna Brady. And of course, in keeping with the general theme ...more
Jeanie Jackson
This is probably my favorite of the more recent books. I hope to see more of the Angel of Death soon. I have enjoyed watching Ali grow as a more self-confident person.

The sheriff asks Ali to temporarily take over the role of Media Specialist, but seems uncomfortable with having her around. When a badly burn woman in found at the scene of apparent eco-terrorism, she assigns Ali to the burn hospital to deal with the media invasion.
When the patient advocate ask Ali assistance in keeping an eye one
Gerald Patrick
I actually read this book while away from home and hadn't had a chance to add it yet. I can see by others it received some rather high review marks but for the life of me I don't know why. Given that this is my first involvement with Jance, her characters and/or style, I'll hedge my remarks.
While the story was intriguing enough, she never really developed the two officers the story started around. It seemed to me she plucked characters out of mid-air as needed and left a lot of unknown's. I. E.
Juli
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Ali Reynolds novels. This is a new series by J. A. Jance and I feel it's the best by far.

I've been reading Jance for years and years. I've read all of the J. P. Beaumont and then all of the Joann Brady series and they're great. Jance tends to be more convincing with a strong female main character than Male. I often times find J. P. Beaumont to be a little too wishy washy for a man.

Jance gets it all right with Reynolds. She'll hit a chord with many women because she was fired for being
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a couple of books in this series now, and it's still entertaining, although I'm kinda looking around this apartment and thinking that we ourselves could use an extremely resourceful butler. I mean, we're not accidentally stumbling into a mystery to solve or nothin', but surely that's not a prerequisite for a butler. Is it?

Kay
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I hadn't been so busy the last 3 days and didn't have the time to read [although I now wish I had skipped last night's baseball game because this book is certainly better than it was!!!]. So most likely if I had read it in my usual 1 or 2 days I would have rated it 4 stars.
Anna Cazale
I was a bit disappointed.

I was disappointed and surprised when I read book number five when I thought I had read the entire series and was waiting for the next book to come out. The plot was a bit weak and I was glad when it ended.
Carrie
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, auido
Ok, I really liked this book. I liked that it started out slower and that Ali wasn't as "stupid" as in some of the other books. Her new job was interesting and the book showed the truth of how people don't pay attention to their surroundings, like in the waiting room.
Bryan
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jance J.A. writes interesting plots, with intriguing characters. This is my 5th book in the series, as I work through them in order.
Hedi Seefeldt
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good
Marlene Chabot
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked Jance's writing style. Even though I don't live in Arizona, Jance's description of towns etc. make me feel I'm familiar with them. I happened to pick up this Ali Reynold's mystery after reading Fatal Error. I would suggest you read it first. It will clue you into what Reynold's will do next. There are many characters in this novel but the main ones will come through if you hang in there. It's a unique story. Ali Reynolds, once a journalist now mainly living on her wealth she in ...more
Sandy
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a J.A. Jance book before...this was given to me by a friend.

A quick read and enjoyable. Ali Reynolds was asked to accept a temporary job for the Yavapi County Police Department as a public relations representative. With in the first few days she is called out to a fire at a housing project under construction in Camp Verde. The fire is arson and an unidentified woman was found in the flames. She is rushed to the burn unit in Phoenix and Ali is thrown into the middle of the arson tu
Monte Brogdon
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't too sure going into this book. I almost gave up on this series, but this one brought me back in. It follows Ali Reynolds, a former LA anchor and blogger, as she takes on a new job as Yavapai County Sheriff's Office's new media relations consultant. Working with the police, she gets pulled into a case filled with arson, art theft, and attempted murder. This book completely does away with cutlooseblog, Ali's signature blog, and it was hardly noticeable. I felt it made the story better. Al ...more
Syd Perry
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh, this one was as good as the first one. The Catholic church gets involved and they are awesome characters. Ali takes a new temporary job that puts her in danger and shows off her extraordinary ability to take care of herself and others. New love interest emerging, suspense, Ali's humorous parents and delightful "butler" and a great story that kept me wondering to the very end. I'm so happy to have found this series.
Lewestover
I accidentally jumped into the middle of this series. As with other J.A. Jance books I've read, the author gives enough back story about the main characters to make the volume stand on its own without much trouble.
The character of the Death Angel intrigued me. xcI'm sure to be reading more of this series.
Bobbi Foster
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ali becomes a media representative for the Yavapai Sheriff's Department. Her first on-screen press release is a fire in which a naked woman was discovered in the house, severely burned. Ali goes above and beyond trying to find out what happened to her, and is almost killed herself. Very good book, and hard to put down.
Megan
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ali Reynolds is growing on me. I like the Arizona Ali better than California Ali at the start of the series. Arizona sounds so small and desolate in these books. Perfect mystery to start summer vacation with.
Judy Evenson
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast read and now I know how Ali and B hooked up in the first place
Tina Grile
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-to-read
Was a very good story - difficult at first with burned victim, but well written. Like the characters
Janet
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started ok, slowed down a lot
Barb
Jul 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish - got bored with it. Not as good as other Jance books.
Dave Nichols
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder
An interesting new character introduced, a nun. And Ali gets more serious with 'B'. Not quite as good as previous book; but still a nice read.
Barbara Mitchell
When I went to the library this week, I just couldn't resist picking up a new-to-me J. A. Jance and this one is as good as, if not better, than all of the others I've read. It's the fourth novel in the Ali Reynolds series.

As usual, Jance grabbed me with the first page which begins, "She awakened to the sound of roaring flames and to searing heat and lung-choking smoke. Maybe she was already dead and this was hell, but why would she go to hell?"

The woman realizes finally that she is alive because
Sandie
The adventurous life of Ali Reynolds continues with Trial by Fire. For those who have traveled through the Sedona/Prescott,AZ area the terrain covered in the book will seem familiar. While some aspects of this offering are a little "boilerplate" other elements are innovative though ephemeral.

When Ali is recruited by the local sheriff to act as the departments temporary Media Information Officer she accepts the job and becomes embroiled in hostile situations she had not anticipated (both inside
Kara Jorges
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not Ali Reynolds’ first mystery to solve, but it was the first book in the series that I’ve read. I found it typical JA Jance, which is not a bad thing. She has a tendency to start out in a rather folksy manner as the story revolves around the day-to-day minutiae of the main characters before it really gets going. Well before I ever start to wonder what the point is, though, I am always completely gripped by the mystery, and this book was no exception.

Ali is kicking back and enjoying th
  • Weapon of Choice
  • The Midnight Road
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • Winter Wind
  • St. Nick
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Straight Flushed (A Hot Pursuit Novel, #1)
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)
  • The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)
  • Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon, #13)
  • Whack of the P-Rex (The Notebook of Doom, #5)
  • The Murder Wall (DCI Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning
  • Letters From Home
  • Mourning Dove (Ella Clah, #11)
  • Scare Me
  • Locked In
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Ali Reynolds (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)
  • Web of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #2)
  • Hand of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)
  • Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)
  • Fatal Error (Ali Reynolds, #6)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)
  • Clawback (Ali Reynolds, #11)