Start by marking “Prison Ship” as Want to Read:
Prison Ship

Prison Ship

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
He has one choice: to flame out-or simply fade away...

Framed for attempted murder against his superior, Commander-now convict-Jacob Steiner receives one last chance at redemption. As the captain of a Penitentiary Assault Vessel, he'll lead a desperate crew of thieves and murderers behind enemy lines in exchange for their freedom.
Published December 29th 2009 by Ace (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Prison Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prison Ship

Neil
This was an okay book. I picked it up on a whim at the library. I am glad I only checked it out instead of purchased it. Kinda reminded me of 'dirty dozen' in space, except there are about four dozen inmates as opposed to just twelve. Maybe a sci-fi version of the dirty dozen spliced with the sci-fi version of high noon [like, maybe, outland, or something].

It's war! The galaxy is in flames! Humanity has divided into two groups fighting for supremacy and a third group wanting to stay on the sidel
Marcelo
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Military sci-fi fans who aren't very demanding.
Recommended to Marcelo by: Found it on a heap of second-hand books for sale
"No bars. No cells. No escape." The three phrases on the cover say it all: you're about to get back to the testosterone-laden macho stories of 1980's action movies.

In «Prison Ship», Michael Bowers' debut novel, we meet Commander Jake Steiner, a disgraced United Space Systems officer unjustly thrown in jail for standing against the traitorous Admiral Jamison, who'd sent Jake's warship, the USS Valiant, into a trap. Jake then accepts command of the Penitentiary Assault Vessel, a thirty-year-old wa
Joseph Simons
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book I read was Prison Ship by Michael Bowers. What I liked about this book was the ease of understanding what was going on. The language was generally simplistic making it not too hard to read. The story line was very exciting at times and made me want to continue reading which is important to me. What I did not like about this book is that it could've been a bit longer to have a more developed story line. At points of it i wished the author went into more detail and used more descriptive ...more
Christine Ricci
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Allan Caplan
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kobo, sci-fi
This book was... alright. 1000 years from now, when aliens descend and check out the planet this won't be on their list of masterpieces.

The authors writing style is odd. When I started reading Prison Ship I kept checking to make sure this wasn't book X in some series. There's a lot of "back story" that it seems like you are just dumped into the middle of.

Over all, if you're looking for a nice quick easy campy book in between reading Reynolds and Hamilton, this is an alright grab (just make sure
Warren Watts
Apr 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I can't believe this book ever got published. I honestly think a 9th grade high school student could have written a better novel. I can't understand how an editor could have read the manuscript and approved it for publication.

If I had paid the $7.99 list price for this book I would have been mad. I picked it up for a buck on the clearance rack at Half Price Books and I still feel cheated.
Sgkiser
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
It's one of those books that it's bad enough to be enjoyable. Bad science, 2D characters and enough WTF moments that you might sprain your neck shaking your head.

Back in the Golden Age of SF this would have been called a pot-boiler.

If I recall correctly, my copy was placed at a Book Crossing drop off point.
Nathan Avery
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
When you read 'Prison Ship', you are getting exactly what you expect. There is a ship.. in space.. and there are prisoners on it. No new material is presented here, and the story feels pulled from a cheap syfy channel movie, but its enjoyable for what it is.
Christopher
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
A really underwhelming and poorly executed novel that never quite decided what it wanted to be. Is it a space opera? Is it a prison story? Is it military sci-fi? Is it a redemption story? Who knows and after 328 pages of narrative schizophenia, you don't really care.

Nicolas