Start by marking “Principles of Microeconomics” as Want to Read:
Principles of Microeconomics

Principles of Microeconomics

Mankiw's Principles of Economics textbooks continue to be the most popular and widely used text in the economics classroom. PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS, 4th Edition features a strong revision of content in all 22 chapters while maintaining the clear and accessible writing style that is the hallmark of the highly respected author. The 4th edition also features an expanded ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 568 pages
Published January 27th 2006 by South Western Educational Publishing (first published July 28th 1997)

Amit Mishra
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I strongly prefer this argument that academic writing is really difficult. You don't have the creative freedom to do something new. In the case of economics, it is more restricted.
However, you can simplify things and present them to the readers. And Prof Mankiw has done the same. His language is lucid and pretty easy that can be understood by any student. It starts from basic and provides us with lots of information and goes in-depth analysis of a certain topic as well. The section For Your Inf
Ali
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
First 22 chapters of Mankiw's Principles of Economics contains this book. I couldn't find any reliable information about differences of these two books when choosing which one to read so I felt obligated to share it.
Cameron
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
FANTASTIC Text Book. Mankiw explanes principles in an incredible way. Reading this book gives the reader the lexicon and understanding needed to proceed in additional economic reading and a framework to develop strong articulate opinions on economic outcomes.
Matt
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read an economics textbook and this is a good one.

Most of the big concepts are simple to understand but incredibly powerful. Things like opportunity cost, comparative advantage, importance of incentives, dead weight loss, etc. they can help you understand how we might fix some of the big problems in both society and within our own lives.

This is not exciting reading but I think it’s important reading.
Christina
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Principles of Microeconomics is still as easy to read as Principles of Macroeconomics, there's a lot of copying and pasting from one book to another for the first eight chapters. This textbook also skims a lot of important topics and is very, very heavy on the laissez-faire free market belief when Microeconomics is supposed to be exploring other types of markets and regulating markets.
Shamwil
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Bookreadingnarcissist
The author does a fine job of laying out each topic and new idea in a succinct and understandable way. I enjoyed how he didn't insert his opinion into the discussion, but rather stuck with the facts, reason, and evidence. My only problem with it is that he sometimes repeats himself, and it gets annoying. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in studying economics at the introductory level.
4/5
Julian Jawad Ahmad
This is basically a textbook, which I read in a University course, Introduction to Microeconomics. It has explained the concepts with plenty of real-life situations, examples--easy to relate--which helps and make it more easy to read. Adequate numbers of mathematical problems are included to understand the topic. The course was an easy one, so I give credit to the book.
AliK
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
with all it's complex features, our economical system will always dazzle us all. with this book at hand you surely are prepared and ready to tackle all the misconceptions and biased opinions when look at economy's phenomenons. an undergradute go to.
Martin Perez
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Extremely clear, anecdotal explanation of Economics. Makes very distant concepts tangible to the unexposed first year college student.
Emtiaz Hossain  Hritan
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Book for the beginners....I have never read a such simple book.
Christina Mcneice
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for the class, basically just read the book and aced the class.
Kali
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent textbook! Has everything you need and nothing you don't need. Teaches the material in a very easy to understand way. Got 95% in my econ class because of it!
Ricardo
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really great book! After reading it, you'll understand better how society works from an economic perspective.
Lexivore Hudon
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Pretty good book. My professor used it to present the information in a way I understood.
Adam
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty readable book covering a lot of the major topics, but I still didn't particularly enjoy it because it is intended to be a first-year course in Microeconomics and seems to leave out any Calculus-based analysis and many other topics that I consider to be core Microeconomic concepts like production and labor, and more elaborate studies in Game Theory. I suppose such a course is acceptable for students who cannot handle difficult subjects, like business majors. And so I still gave i ...more
John Borthwick
This was one of the text books I had to read for an "Economics for Public Finance" in my policy program. I took macro in undergrad and read some text books on my own on economics thereafter so that is what I have to compare Mankiw to. This book deserves a review and 5 star rating because, while it's still just a general economic concept text book, it does its job incredibly well. Mankiw's style is extremely clear and he does a much better job than other text books in making the conceptual both e ...more
John
Jun 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: economics
Lays on the laissez-faire free market stuff very very thick. Mankiw makes some fairly basic fallacies of equation (e.g. his ideas on net job gains from breakdown of trade barriers fail to differentiate between types of jobs -- such as programming vs. Wal-Mart checkout clerk) but generally a decent economics book that nicely explain why many commonly held economic beliefs are uninformed knee-jerk mistakes.
Heather Leung
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was assigned to me by my college now class .
But I must say, for a textbook, this was actually not a bad read.
The language was not extra serious and it gave many examples that helped me understand different concepts because it was easy to relate too.
I think this would be my favorite textbook I ever read .
Judith
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, economics
I had access to an online version through Aplia and I read that too. The writing style is excellent and the layouts are nice, but I would have liked the formulas to be explained better. I had to review other books and ask friends for help on early homework probs. So if it's been a few years (or ahem, ten) since you've done algebra or calculus, get yourself a companion guide.
Bob
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it
On the plus side this is a fairly well written and easy to understand textbook about a less than thrilling topic. On the down side, the author was an economic adviser to George W. Bush. This shows in his ardent belief of supply side economics and his cursory attention to equity. The book's online problems are helpful.
Leonardo
May 28, 2018 marked it as to-keep-reference
Shelves: micro2
...the Principles of Microeconomics by Harvard professor Greg Mankiw has an excellent chapter titled “Income Inequality and Poverty,” but it is separate from the earlier chapters...

Inequality Pág.15
Sandra
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
As far as text books go... this text book explained the principles very clearly, with useful modern Canadian (where applicable) examples, things I could relate to. It had visual reminders all through the book when one of the principles was mentioned. I passed.... The book works :-)
Courtney
May 07, 2007 rated it liked it
I wouldn't ordinarily put a textbook on here, but I've been using this one to teach myself, surprise surprise, the principles of microeconomics. So far, I find it easy to grasp and strongly grounded in reality.
Fouad Jaber
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
similar to Samuelson but a bit easier and better illustrated. my only criticism is that although id expect a micro book to be inclined towards laissez faire, but this book was a bit too inclined, it presented saving as always a positive aspiration and neglected many market failures.
J.
Pretty Good textbook, made introduction to Economics acessible.
Linda
Nov 12, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
may you allow me to read this microEconomics. our lecturer prescribe the Author for us.
Katrina
May 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If this is book is an introduction to microeconomics then I'm Captain Picard.
Andrea
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tempted to read it again...
Chris Gunnell
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A good summary of Microeconomics (that I read because I want to take the AP test...)
but it was pretty good and not as biased as it could have been...

• Americans in Waiting: The Lost Story of Immigration and Citizenship in the United States
  • Women and the American Experience
  • Introduction to Business [With Booklet]
  • Microeconomic Analysis
  • International Relations
  • Game Theory for Applied Economists
  • The Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets (Addison-Wesley Series in Economics)
  • Atlas of the World
American "new keynesian" macroeconomist. From 2003 to 2005, Mankiw was the chairman of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisors.He has since resumed teaching at Harvard, taking over the introductory economics course Social Analysis 10. More at Wikipedia.