Start by marking “Edible Landscaping” as Want to Read:
Edible Landscaping

Edible Landscaping

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  424 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Since Rosalind Creasy popularized the concept of landscaping with edibles a quarter-century ago, interest in eating healthy, fresh, locally grown foods has swept across the nation. More and more Americans are looking to grow clean, delicious produce at home, saving money and natural resources at the same time. And food plants have been freed from the backyard, gracing the ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Counterpoint (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Edible Landscaping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edible Landscaping

Amy
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plants-flowers
Very interesting! I learned a lot about what's edible and what's not, what works well in small spaces (even containers) and what works best if you let it spread!

There are sections in the back that that talk about each plant detailing the effort it takes to grow, what zones the plant grows best in, a thumbnail description of the plant, how to use (in the kitchen, in the landscape), how to grow (climate, exposure & soil, fertilizing, watering, pruning, pests & diseases, and harvesting). Th
Kristal
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In an effort to grow our own food, I quickly became interested in the concept of edible landscaping. And after reading a few other books on the subject, this one seems to be the bible of the subject. Jammed packed with everything from how the concept was started, where to buy what you need to get started, mouth-watering photographs and so much useful information that you will need several readings to absorb it all. I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn how to create a garden o ...more
Veronica
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OK, I think I have read this book 20 times since it came out in November. This is a must have for anyone wanting to garden, thinking about gardening or you just want to slobber over Rosalind's beautiful edible yard and photos of vegetable gardens. More than that, she provides all of her years of experience in this book with great ideas, tips and how adding pots of herbs and veggies can get you started. This is an excellent book to add to your gardening trove and one you will be visiting often.
Susan Tweit
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think I wore out the 1982 edition of Rosalind Creasy's Edible Landscaping, which revolutionized my thinking about garden design: Rhubarb as an accent in perennial beds? Tulips poking up through lettuce? Strawberries edging front walks? Why not? No reason, really, except that I had grown up, as most gardeners do, segregating food plants in the working garden and never imagining they had a place in the decorative garden, much less that the decorative garden could be edible.

While the original Edi
Megan
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
This is a solid book. I've read a number of other edible landscaping books now, and most of them have been severely disappointing -- a few pretty pictures and little substance. Here, finally, at last, I had a useful tome.

The pictures here are lovely, of course, but the best thing about this book is after reading Creasy's accompanying text, I feel like I understand how these gardens were put together, and how to apply those principles to my yard. The book does lean toward formal landscaping (as
Stacy
The must-have reference book for those interested in edible landscaping. Creasy begins by sharing her story of having too shady a backyard to grow a vegetable or herb garden, so she decided to demolish her front lawn and come up with a landscape using plants that are both edible and attractive.

Her career as a landscaper took off from there and she has now designed edible landscapes all over the US. She points out the irony of useless lawns, and the habit of many homeowners throwing away leaves
Audrey
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book focuses on keeping an edible landscape aesthetically appealing more than maximizing food production. I have read a few other books on the subject and this was by far the most thorough. It isn't a beginning gardening book, but if you know your way around a hoe you should be good.

Pros: An in-depth look at edible gardening. An Appendix with plant RATINGS on how easy they are to grow based on the amount of maintenance they need, and such. Information about some unusual fruit and vegetable
Po
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having checked the original version of this book (written 30 years ago) from the library multiple times, I was excited to hear that an updated version was being published. Roz Creasy knows her stuff. Unlike some veggie gardening books, she makes a point of discussing design. She has nice photos of other edible landscapes for inspiration and includes plan views of several gardens to give you a feel of how things are laid out.

I love that for each plant she includes sections on how to use it in th
Kristina Seleshanko
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once you understand the concept of edible landscaping - simply planting edibles in among ornamentals in your landscape - you might think a whole book about the topic is really a waste of paper. But Creasy proves that idea false in this classic gardening book. Not only does the book contain a large section devoted to plants suitable for suburban and urban edible landscaping - including many varieties you might not have heard of, but which are smaller and well adapted to edible landscaping - but i ...more
Crystal Stoll
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pioneer of edible landscaping, Rosalind has a ton of good ideas and great pictures to help you plan your own landscape. We are destroying our earth, and need to start taking it back. Farmland wastes top soil, water, and costs too much in terms of subsidies, chemical application, oil-based fertilizers, etc. There are more small residential lots than farm acres. We can curb our destructive habits as humans by producing more food by our homes. This would take less chemicals, less gas for transporta ...more
Andrea
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
There is a lot of information found in this book. The author discusses how to prep the soil, how to make a plan and design your yard and then she goes into detail on how to grow different types of plants. She also goes into detail so that you can be successful with your yard. For example, she informs you on pests and diseases to be aware of, what zones the plants grow in, how to use them, how to grow them, how to harvest, and where to buy them. I'm impressed with the amount of information she in ...more
Holly
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was a little too thick for my liking. What I wanted was a photo of plot and then a breakdown of the zone where this arrangement would work, materials, cost, time to complete, and instructions. There were a few of these projects scattered throughout the book, but I wanted a book of projects. On the plus side, I'm feeling pretty motivated to start composting and if nothing else, I think the author would appreciate that she motivated me to do that.
Janie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I think my expectations might have been too elevated. I heard this is the one true book for anyone wanting to rely on any amount of land for any sort of food production.

The gardens are very pretty, and the appendices are somewhat useful.

I can't figure out who it's for. Maybe I don't know enough to make use of it; maybe I knew too much to find it enlightening. I wouldn't recommend it as a resource for harvest, zones, guilds or companion planting, perennials, annuals, or general design.
Manintheboat
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Beautiful! So many garden books are remiss in covering multiple climates. She covers most of the US and provides helpful plans.
The list of suppliers in the back had some places I've never heard of. Covers basic plants and I learned about new plants.
A perfect gardening book. One of the best I've ever read.
Deodand
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like other books if it's kind, this one suffers occasionally from too many aspirational photos of millionaires' yards. It also contains the most helpful advice on the subject of gardening for aesthetics and harvest. So, I liked it for its practical side.
Andrea
Apr 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
While it's nice to see a book devoted to growing edibles in a pretty way, this book has almost nothing about how to achieve that goal. Only a couple of planting guide points and almost nothing about an integrated landscape.
Angela
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So completely inspiring. My favorite gardening book ever. This is what I am trying to do with my yard. The plant encyclopedia is huge and varied, but I still recommend trying to find recommendations that are very specific and local for your region, especially for fruit trees.
Nick Woodall
Awesome book! FULL of pictures, which really helps in formulating your ideas and making them come to fruition in your plans. Lots of good solid information regarding the edibles themselves. Rosalind hit a homerun with this book!
Catherine
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-farm-garden
An unbelievable amount of useful information packed into one book. Covers all types of edibles, where to buy, how to plant, care for, and harvest them. Oh, and how to design your landscape so that everything works together and looks great. Is it spring yet?
Blakely
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! Anyone who would like to incorporate more fruits or vegetables into their yard, but do so in an attractive manner should read this. I originally got this book from the library but I like it so much I plan on purchasing it (and I very rarely buy books).
Slee
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the guide you're looking for.
Cindy
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
excellent read and good ideas
Annie
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got some good ideas for my garden from this book.
William
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive treatment of the subject.

Lots of good color photos.

Good section on soil.
Sheri Bauer
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love the landscaping ideas. The encyclopedia of plants is very helpful.
Karen Holt
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite garden book!
Katie
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Plenty of good discussion and excellent pictures. This is one I will go back to to think about using edibles to bring beauty to a yard.
Leah
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Inspiring book if you: a) live in a warm climate b) don't have bunnies/critters in your yard. Creasy provides great ideas, but they are not feasible for my climate & critter population.
lisa
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-ideas
Amazing design and planting ideas.
Jamie
Nov 27, 2010 marked it as to-read
Just read about this in today's Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn
  • Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • The Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production Using Deep-Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • The Self-Sufficient Gardener
  • The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty from Brandywine Cottage
  • How to Make a Forest Garden
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
205072
Rosalind Creasy is a garden and food writer, photographer, landscape designer, lecturer and consultant. She is the author of several books, including The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping, Cooking From the Garden, Edible Gardening, The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping and Edible Landscaping. Her writing has also appeared in national publications such as the Los Angeles Times and Gardening How ...more
More about Rosalind Creasy...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99