Start by marking “The Practical Naturalist” as Want to Read:
The Practical Naturalist

The Practical Naturalist

Inspirational, informative, and educational, "The Practical Naturalist" is perfect for anyone interested in learning more about their surroundings and looking at their world in a brand-new light. This edition shows readers how to experience the wonders of the world and what creatures live in each habitat.
Published May 17th 2010 by DK

To ask other readers questions about The Practical Naturalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Practical Naturalist

Shannon
Aug 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People with 7 year olds.
Shelves: science
This book has fairly good information about being a naturalist for kids.

Except for one thing! They suggest that you take your cell phone with you to record what you see. : < If you take your cell phone to record what you see to the places where I watch birds, and it rings and scares the birds, don't be surprised if I rip your cell phone out of your hands and destroy it.

Take a camera. Take and note book and pencil! Take you eyes! Leave your cell phone at home!
Alaina
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is just the ticket if you want to learn more about the natural world around you, but don't want to read a graduate-level work on ecology. This is a fun book to have on the coffee table. A quick flip through one or two pages is rewarded with helpful or interesting facts and illustrations and photos.
James
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
Skimmed through the book. Not very practical more of a tour of different habitats around the world. Lot of general information but very good pictures for a DK book.
Marie
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
>The Practical Naturalist contains information about the natural world around us. It features some introductory material (including a supply list for adventurers) and is then sectioned into habitats. Further breakdowns are used when needed. The book has hundreds of labelled photographs as well as plenty of text to describe aspects of the area. It’s designed to give readers a better understanding of nature and to get them involved in observing it more closely.

This is an absolutely gorgeous bo
Jodi
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nature, science
This was a fascinating book; it's sort of a mini nature encyclopedia. I learned several new things from it, yet it's basic enough for a young student. It has an abundance of vivid photographs (and they're labelled so you know the name of the bird/plant/shell pictured), and all sorts of different habitats and ecosystems were described.

Note: this book is [naturally] written from an evolutionary worldview. Some passages must be taken with a grain of salt/reworded for the discerning parent/teacher w
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. For being a person of the Earth, nature, animals and even insects, I thought this was one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It would be perfect for children while studying certain subjects, like animal species, or different rocks. You name it, this book contains it!
A fabulous book, that any parent would love their children reading!
James
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice guide and handbook to exploring natural habitats. Enjoyed reading for the most part. The editors never missed an opportunity to blame global warming or climate change on humanity. Outside of that the pix and straight forwardness of the writing were wonderful. This book would be ideal for parents and children.
Trista
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really makes me want to go outside and explore. Great for young readers interested in learning about nature and wildlife! Obviously, it's no scholarly textbook. I really enjoy flipping through this book and learning about different habitats.
Ietrio
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
It could have been nice, but the author is trying to fit too much in too few pages so he has almost nothing, but from most categories. And the graphics are below average the way they are stuffed into the pages.
Elizabeth
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
This is a wonderful book for children and adults. Our #2 loves to draw and paint and this is the perfect book to inspire her. Also, Chris Packham is a pretty amazing dude- he produces wildlife programs for National Geographic and has traveled the world to explore different habitats.
Laura Gilfillan
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Beautiful pictures. Snippets of interesting information. Made me want to get out and explore the natural world. Too bad it's winter. I don't do winter well. Best suited for kids, but enjoyable none the less.
Jess
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a great book for a 9 year old- just enough info to get them more exciting about the outdoors. For me, I need something a bit more specific
Brigette
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
okay for a beginning naturalist's guide, but pretty basic.
Amy
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
not a fan of some of the page-photograph layout
Mahmoud Souliman Alsharqawy
May 03, 2012
Dasha
Apr 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Chris Packham is a British naturalist and TV presenter and is well known for his many BBC television series since the days of The Really Wild Show through to Springwatch. He is an award winning photographer and writer, whose career has revolved around promoting public awareness of wildlife and conservation for more than 25 years. He continues to be a part of pioneering natural history television, ...more