Start by marking “Hitman Vol. 2: Ten Thousand Bullets” as Want to Read:
Hitman Vol. 2: Ten Thousand Bullets

Hitman Vol. 2: Ten Thousand Bullets

(Hitman #2)

Ex-military operative Tommy Monaghan's adventures as a Gotham City-based Hitman for hire continues. In HITMAN: 10,000 BULLETS, Monaghan uses his powers of telepathy and x-ray vision to survive an all-out attack on him and his friends. Then, a vindictive mob boss from Tommy's past puts a contract out on him. With his friends caught in the crossfire, Tommy must find a way to ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by DC Comics (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hitman Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitman Vol. 2

Start your review of Hitman Vol. 2: Ten Thousand Bullets
Sam Quixote
Jan 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first Hitman book a few years ago and didn’t like it much but decided to revisit it and give it another shot - maybe I initially read it wrong/wasn’t in the right frame of mind? After all, it’s Garth Ennis writing a character who’s essentially DC’s Punisher and Ennis’ Punisher was fracking awesome! But no, I was right the first time: Hitman is complete drivel!

In Volume 2: Ten Thousand Bullets a mob boss wants Tommy dead so hires a hotshot assassin to take him out - no prizes for gues
Mike
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This trade contains Hitman #4-8 and Hitman Annual #1.

The stories here stand well enough alone and vital information is provided so a reader could start here without too much trouble. That said, characters and event from earlier issues appear so it's best to go back to the beginning.

Ten Thousand Bullets opens with the four issue titular story. It begins with a shot of Tommy thinking about how bad things have gotten so quickly, then we rewind a bit to see it all happen. Tommy's actions start to c
Christopher
The next volume in my 2015 comics reread list. :)

I'm trusting Wikipedia to be accurate about what issues are actually in this volume.

The main arc for this volume involves Johhny Navarone being hired to kill Tommy. Tommy then runs into his old marine buddy and the arc becomes a nice "let's murder all of them before they murder us" plot. It's a lovely time.

After that arc, we have an issue where all of the hitmen who gather to play poker tell stories of the closest time they came to dying. It's fin
Quentin Wallace
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

This was a really good volume. We have the usual Ennis craziness with the main story, and there's also a Final Night crossover issue that isn't bad. My favorite story was the long Annual one. It was a tribute to the old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, and it was great.

Really entertaining series.
Tiara
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this even better than the first one and can definitely see the story setting itself up for something big. Tommy is an awesome protagonist. He's unbelievably down to earth for a character who has powers.

His circle of friend are loyal, and even when they get a little out of hand, they still seem to be there for one another. Natt is a great addition to the circle as that best buddy who doesn't questions your actions, but will have your back no matter what. He's a cool, copacetic character.
Bill
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This continues to be a fun, albeit extremely violent, read. The actual "10,000 Bullets" arc was darker than previous stories but stronger for it. A story is better when there are consequences even though the reader may not enjoy those consequences.
JW
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Garth Ennis find his stride, and Tommy Monaghan and his buddies find their voices in this second Hitman collection.

A pleasant touch of (relative) normalcy in a world chock full of super-this and wonder-that.
Koen Claeys
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Liked this much more than volume 1.
Corwyn Matthew
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loads of fun. Dark and gritty characters and concepts, and the goofy but expressive art to match. Ennis and Mccrea are Tabasco sauce and tequila: an uncomfortably good time.
B
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Yeah, man, I don't know. This is all just fine. It's not that funny. It's not that engaging because the main character can just shoot everyone all the time.

It's fine.
Teo
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 2 collects "10,000 Bullets", "The Night the Lights Went Out" and "Coffin Full of Dollars".

These stories show a progression after a rather mediocre start, both in writing and the art. Especially the last story arc - dark, dirty, and heartfelt - which is the direction the later volumes will take with most stories.
Jonathan Briggs
Apr 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The last time I reviewed a Garth Ennis book, I wrote that Ennis is a talented writer given to laziness and pandering to the LCD. Case in point: "Hitman." Ennis wrote the series concurrently with his (for lack of a more accurate term) masterpiece "Preacher," and every idea that was too stupid for "Preacher" (oh, and believe me, there was no shortage of stupid ideas in "Preacher") wound up in "Hitman." In "Ten Thousand Bullets," Mobster Moe Dubelz offers half a million dollars for the head of Tomm ...more
Corto Maltese
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is the second volume in Ennis' first take on ridiculing super heroes. And boy, he knows how to pick his victims.
The hero thats getting dragged through the mud here, is maybe not instantly recognizable to everyone, but if you've been into comics in the 90ies, when Image just started out, you have to applaud him, since they never came more ridiculous than Jim Valentino's Shadowhawk who gets the Ennis/McCrea treatment in this volume - troughly enjoyable. In those early days Image didn't put ou
Cale
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
It still amazes me that this was within the DC Universe proper. Garth Ennis' Tommy Monaghan is a vicious violent criminal who lives by a code, true, but within that code is an awful lot of violence. This collection is a kind of depressing story as another hitman targets Tommy, and several bystanders get lost or pushed away in the process. It's a well told story, with Ennis' trademark style and dialogue (and he manages several military tales as well). There's also a Final Night story that is very ...more
Gavin
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The 2nd Volume of Ennis' Hitman has a little more depth to it than the 1st, probably because we have a little bit of info about him now. This volume also ends up bringing in new characters while saying goodbye to others, which is a nice way to change up the dynamics. The storytelling seems a little more interesting to me here, and the final story, which is a tribute to The Man With No Name Trilogy, is just great fun. Worth a read if you are into this, it's no surprise that Marvel later had Ennis ...more
Matt
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. Man. And this is where Hitman starts to hit high gear. Natt comes in, Ennis makes some decisions about the long-term shape of the book, McCrea's art starts to get tighter.

And oh, man. Oh man oh man oh man. That scene in the bathtub. Second most heartbreaking scene in the entire series (you'll see what the most heartbreaking thing is soon). Such excellent work.
Mhorg
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous. A darker arc has Tommy facing another great Hitman after a hit he's completed has repercussions. At times funny, others sad, this second arc really gets the cast moving and is definitely worth reading.
Lavell
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is goofy.sometimes stupid,always funny,bullet-filled. It is Hitman. Being a hitman in Gotham city is a lot to ask,especially with the Batman around. It is told from a different prospective,well if you want a laugh.
Khairul Hezry
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hitman gets rid of the bad guys once and for all.
Krystl Louwagie
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out a little slow and simple, but was pretty dang interesting by the end. Not quite on the level of Preacher or 7 Brothers, but still good in it's own right.
Sam Poole
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-to-read
Bonkers, hyper violent, excessive, satirical, funny....some great issues, especially #8 and re annual. Not perfect and honestly almost too gory. But good
Michael
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Living a violent life has violent consequences, and Tommy finds that out in this selection of stories. Sad, violent stuff, but plenty of humor and action too.
Christian
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Hard boiled
Joey Heflich
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like Jon and Bob, but as hitmen.
Timo
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I did not take long for mr. Ennis to find his fluent way to handle Hitman. Better than the first collection.
One Flew
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot better than the first volume, which was quite a disappointment. It still lacks depth and is miles away from Ennis' Preacher series, though I'm beginning to enjoy the series.
Non
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Garth Ennis. Not as good as Preacher, but still pretty fantastic.
Jdetrick
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A stronger outing than the first trade, but I'm still not a fan of these characters. I can see the skill in these stories, but they're just not for me.
Rob

• John Constantine, Hellblazer Vol. 1: Marks of Woe
  • Indian Summer
  • Daredevil Legends: Yellow
  • Batman, Volume 9: The Tyrant Wing
  • Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
  • Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay
  • Batman: The Black Mirror
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more

Hitman (8 books)