Start by marking “E Is for Ethics: How to Talk to Kids About Morals, Values, and What Matters Most” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Now in paperback, E Is for Ethics—an indispensable parenting tool to help instill a sense of morality and fair play in young children.

At one time, schools in America offered instructions on character development and ethics. Today that’s no longer the case, and many parents often feel at a loss over the seemingly daunting task of teaching their children to be good, moral ci
Published December 8th 2009 by Atria Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about E Is for Ethics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about E Is for Ethics

Kathie
May 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Pre-K through mid-elementary age children
Recommended to Kathie by: Laura Bowman
Good, short lessons for kids. The questions at the end are great for highlighting the important parts of each lesson and helping kids see how the lessons relate to their own lives.

Some of the lessons could have a more universally relatable story. One example is Respect. The lesson ended up being about respecting other cultures, which is important, but may have been better as its own chapter. I would have liked to see more of an everyday situation.

I checked this out at the library and found it at
Abby
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not what I expected and my child is too young for the stories now. I am wondering if these are any 'better' than what I remember - Aesop's fables and the Bible. I thought it was a book for parents on how to teach ethics. Instead, it is a book with little ethical stories followed by discussion questions. It has a nice cover, nice artwork and is high quality - but the content is lacking.
Aubrie Wade
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth Choice Book-

I think this book is really helpful. Every night, my family and I used to read a story and talk about it. I found this book in my bookshelf a few nights ago and decided it would be a great book to talk about.

First of all, I think that the foreword is hilarious.
Second, the book was well written with questions to talk about at the end and quotes. The stories are relatable and great real life problems.
Third, I wish that I had read more of these as a child. If you are a parent
Asha Carlos
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like me, wonder how to instil good morals and values in your kids, then E is for Ethics is the right book for you. I personally enjoyed reading this book by Corlett who calls himself the POD (Plain Old Dad), he reminds each one of us how important it is to instil good values in children. Corlett shares his experience bringing up his two children as well as 26 short but easy to understand stories different values in a story form for parents to read to their children. At the end of each sto ...more
Jenny
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just started reading this to the boys at night before they go to bed. There are 26 stories that help you talk to your children about Honesty, Understanding, Forgiveness, Courage, Tact, Preserverance, Politeness, Loyalty, Gratitude, Truthfulnes, Fairness, Acceptance, Patience, Sincerity, Citizenship, Integrity, Kindness, Responsibility, Effort, Empathy, Charity, Helpfulness, Generosity, Willingess, and Respect. We should finish in 26 days, the author(not LDS) designed this book to be like FHE l ...more
Blake
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
I read about five of the stories in this book. The writing didn't resonate with me as much as I would have liked, but the format is quite good. There's a value, or virtue, discussed in each short chapter that helps children understand what the virtue is. Each chapter shares a story about the virtue, provides famous quotes, and some discussion questions. So, I'd like to give it a go with my students. Maybe I'll decide to upgrade my rating after trying it with them.
Tim Sormin
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
Some situations don't quiiiiite fit the word they're supposed to illustrate, in my opinion, but I think it's a fantastic facilitator of discussion. Some of the situations are challenging for adults to suss out, let alone kids, but I actually like the fact that there isn't always an obviously correct answer to these ethical quandaries. I have NOT tried any of these with my kids yet, but I plan to when they're just a bit older.
Kathleen
A series of short (two pages) stories in which a brother and sister face ethical dilemmas. Should they tease the new kid? Fight over toys? Cheat in a game? Each story has discussion questions and a recap of the issue at hand (fairness, tolerance, etc). T & C LOVED this. We originally read it during family meetings, but they begged for it at bedtime too. Checked this one out of the library, but would definitely buy it.
Irene B.
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read about this book in the Washington Post and borrowed from library. Very useful for teachers. Buying two copies for use at school. Stories related to positive values with questions for children about what they would do in the situations that arose.
Lara
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was perfect for the ages of my kids. This book had them all thinking creatively and asking great questions, two things I really value.
Pam
very good short stories to read to your children to generate discussion
uses all the words we use for head heart and hand and most of 8 keys too
Philip
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic little book to help children work through so many of the issues they face and will continue to face through out life. My kids love it and I will admit I love it even more.
Traci
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very intersting.
Joel
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's important to run through experiences before they happen with children as a sort of behavioral innoculation. This seems like a good guide.
Owen
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book would help kids to express their feelings and learn about honesty, understanding, and forgiveness.
Rebecca