Start by marking “The Weapon (Dan Lenson, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Weapon (Dan Lenson, #11)

The Weapon (Dan Lenson #11)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
As a member of TAG Charlie—an elite team of active-duty sailors, SEALs, and civilian analysts—United States Navy Commander and Medal of Honor winner Dan Lenson must defuse emerging naval threats around the globe. The deadly Skhval K, an unstoppable rocket torpedo designed to destroy U.S. aircraft carriers, definitely qualifies.

When the Skhval-K is demonstrated at a Moscow
Published December 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Weapon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weapon

D.w.
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
I am beginning to think that Dan Lenson is stuck. That he is never going to get promoted and that this lack of upper advancement really means that we are going to struggle to see any mission worthy of our hero over the next several books.

Poyer has given us a hero who is one of the few that showcases what an officer who wears black shoes should be doing in the modern world. With so few competitors, we then should see a great deal of Lenson. But we don't see as much as we see some of those who hav
Kayeb
May 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started this one a few times and read it in part because I was out of other books. It was ok ,but like may spy-ish kinds of books, the ins and outs are just plain too convoluded to me, and the descriptions of equipment etc don't raise a picture in my mind, so I really don't know what they are often talking about. In some books, I don't mind that so much because I enjoy the rest of the book development, but this book really didn't grab me on much of any level. Not an author I would go out of my ...more
Ben Babcock
Military thrillers aren't among my preferred genres, so take this review with a grain of salt. If you're a fan of David Poyer and his Dan Lenson series, you'll probably like this book better than I did.

I found many of the details too esoteric for someone like me, and I don't fancy joining the US Navy just to find out what some of those acronyms mean. Similarly, especially near the end of the book, Poyer has way too much fun describing how to operate Juliet submarine. The amount of jargon might i
Nick Brett
This is the 11th in the Dan Lenson series, I’ve read the first one and this one, I don’t seem overly disadvantaged by not reading them in order.
These are military thrillers, featuring a main character that, while driven, is not an all action hero. At the point of this book Lenson is leading a small and elite team that consists of both military types and civilians. Some nice character dynamics between the different types of approach and personalities and this remains true for the whole book, with
Paul
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

I have enjoyed David Poyer's novels and was looking forward to this one. I am disappointed. The Weapon seems hastily written, and more of a potboiler than previous Dan Lenson adventures . . . it almost reads as a serial, with cliffhangers at the end of every other chapter. Promising subplots (Lenson's relationship with his politically-connected wife, his promotion status & future with the USN, the menacing SEAL who's begging to turn out to be some sort of bad guy, et
Bettie
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly technical but if that's your thing, then this book is a feast. Astonishingly detailed and observant writing about the real feeling of the machinery and the action. Also brings to the reader the nature of the suffering endured by loyal military in action. I have had the benefit of having lived in the region where the climactic chapters happen and so could visualise and feel (and smell) quite a lot of the external matter. It was very well described.
Bradley
Former Naval Officer David Poyer send his hero, Cmdr. Den Lenson, USN, out for an 11th naval adventure. Every now and then, I need a technothriller to cleanse the pallet. Poyer writes some of the best. I've read just about all of his work. Unlike many, his people are 3D and not just puppets to drive along the plot.
TheIron Paw
Only ok as a military techno-thriller (maybe better as a James Bond type movie). I found this novel to be too much written to a formula and quite predictable (we all know what becomes of characters who do not have a full name).
Johnny
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback
Lensen's luck...tiplical Navy politics...
William Lovejoy
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
World Class

As always, the author delivers a fine story. The detail and the characters are terrific, and the suspense just will not end.
Peter
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poyer seemed a bit out of his element with this SEAL-focused story, but the last third of the book is great.
Marianne
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this series. Dan Lenson is a real hero. The scrapes he gets in!!!
Gerry
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love this series
Nooilforpacifists
Don't strand Dan on land.
Jim
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Turgid. I know the formula is that anything that can go wrong, will, but this just drug on and on.
Doug
May 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
I've read his books before, and this is another in his series with his flawed hero Dan Lenson. I think I more enjoyed the early works. This one kind of wore on me.
Warren Cross
Entertaining story!
Steven
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: level-blue
Poyer never disappoints. Dan Lenson is trapped in an Iranian submarine this time with a crew of six others and no air. Get me outa here!
Bob Spiker
Ron
rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • Sentinels of Fire (World War 2 Navy)
  • Terminal Event:  A Novel
  • Retribution (Kirk McGarvey, #18)
  • Cauldron
  • Day One
  • Voyage of the Devilfish
  • The Other Side Of Paradise
Aka D.C. Poyer.

DAVID CHARLES POYER was born in DuBois, PA in 1949. He grew up in Brockway, Emlenton, and Bradford, in western Pennsylvania, and graduated from Bradford Area High School in 1967. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1971, and later received a master's degree from George Washington University.

Poyer's active and reserve naval service included sea duty in the Atlan
More about David Poyer...

Dan Lenson (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Med (Dan Lenson, #1)
  • The Gulf (Dan Lenson, #2)
  • The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3)
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5)
  • China Sea (Dan Lenson, #6)
  • Black Storm (Dan Lenson, #7)
  • The Command (Dan Lenson, #8)
  • The Threat (Dan Lenson, #9)
  • Korea Strait (Dan Lenson, #10)