Start by marking “You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #8)” as Want to Read:
You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #8)

You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #8)

When Benny Southstreet, a small-time hustler with a big-time gift for constructing crosswords, accuses Cora of stealing one of his creations, it’s clearly a case of mistaken identity…until Cora’s own attorney files a plagiarism suit against her. To add to the enigma, when Benny is found dead, the police charge Cora with his murder!

At the heart of the matter is the not-so-l
Published October 31st 2006 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled

Catherine Cruz
Feb 25, 2015 Catherine Cruz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 4 out of 5 just because, to me, some characters are just to annoying to overlook! But as always, love it!
Ferne
Mar 10, 2017 Ferne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very light reading. A fun read. My first read by this author.
Elaine Roberson
A fun series with great characters, the puzzle lady always delights. Cora is back with a brand new mystery that contains great clues and wordplay and always new puzzles to solve.
Robyn
Feb 21, 2017 Robyn rated it really liked it
Cute book -- a mystery that includes crossword puzzles at the end of every chapter. I didn't bother to complete them, but one could. :)
Sherrie
Oct 11, 2009 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
"You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled" by Parnell Hall
(from back cover)
When Benny Southstreet, a small-time hustler with a big-time gift for constructing crosswords, accuses Cora Felton of stealing one of his creations, it's clearly a case of mistaken identity.....until Cora's own attorney files a plagiarism suit against her. To ad to the enigma, when Benny is found dead, the police charge Cora with his murder! Not only does all the evidence point to Cora, but someone seems to want her dead. The
Kate
Jun 19, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
To be fair, I didn't finish this book. I'm just not as interested in this series as I was at the beginning. It suffers from "Murder, She Wrote" syndrome- too many murders for such a small town. I will probably get around to finishing it based on the positive reviews I've seen here but overall I think I'm done with this series.

Amended review:
I powered through and finished this book, and actually really enjoyed the plot. My issues with the series still stand. First, there are too many murders co
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2009
The Puzzle Lady is back and dealing with stolen chairs, charges of plagiarism, and being framed for murder. And to think she was complaining about being bored. I was impressed with how everything was tied together in the end. My only real complaint here was that the witty banter between characters I normally love had too much of an angry tent to it for the first half of the book. Still, there were plenty of laughs. Now, if only Dennis would die soon I'd really be happy.

Read my full review at Car
Megan
Jun 07, 2007 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the latest mystery in Hall's "Puzzle Lady" series, which is more of a "hard-boiled" mystery series. It is as amusing as ever, and comes to a satisfying, surprising conclusion.

The only thing that bothered me about it is that the "Puzzle Lady"'s niece has an abusive ex-husband, against whom she has a restraining order, but she doesn't bar him from the house, and she has a lot of contact with him. In real life, she wouldn't let him anywhere near her, especially since he was physically abusi
Claire
Jan 09, 2014 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
So silly. This read is just something light and fun. But I must say, you can really tell that this is a male author trying to tell a tale using a female voice. The main character, Cora comes across of a cross between an old, feisty, but funny old bitty and a crusty old, off-color old man. It in interesting conundrum. I think that I am hooked regardless.
Mary
May 29, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
I haven't finished, but really don't want to. It sucked me in at first but after the first 30ish pages I'm not interested. I don't really have a desire to finish it. If it was the only book I had, I would finish it, but I since I do have others I'm putting it down and saying enough.
Nancy
Sep 10, 2008 Nancy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of cozy mysteries and crossword puzzles
This book, as well as the others by Parnell Hall, combine my two favorite subjects: mystery and crossword puzzles. Admittedly it is "light reading," but Hall's characters never fail to elicit smiles and even chuckles all the way through.
Diane Heath
Apr 10, 2014 Diane Heath rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This time Cora is accused of stealing a crossword puzzle from Benny Southstreet. Then Benny turns up dead and Cora' s fingerprints are on the gun. How she gets out of this mess while stealing chairs, breaking into barns and getting shot at makes fir a fun read
Janet
Jul 12, 2012 Janet rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Book was a gift. It took less than a day to read. The sleuth is a badly behaved older woman who is improbably tolerated by the police and various property owners where she breaks in to snoop. She reveals her findings, ala Hercule Poirot but in a crude way, in a town meeting.
VJ
Mar 02, 2013 VJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Rating a four-star just because it made me laugh. A lot. The writing is witty and punny and sometimes laugh out loud hilarious as I am picturing the scenes in my head. This author is really good at descriptions. I've read a few of these books in the past and I'll read more in the future.
Laurali
Feb 21, 2015 Laurali rated it it was ok
This isn't a bad cozy mystery. I haven't read this series in quite some time, but it runs fairly true to course with the other books. This one has a few more twists, but you can see most of them coming.
Becky
Aug 04, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
It's Cora's turn to be in trouble--oh, she's been in trouble before!

Be sure to have graph paper or access to a copier as there are a few crossword puzzles to solve (this goes for all of the Puzzle Lady Mystery books!)

Lisa
Nov 14, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Puzzle Lady novel. It was fun and I will probably try to read more of them. The Puzzle Lady character was very entertaining. The mystery itself was not heavy and that made it a quick read.
Jan 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Another great adventure with Cora Felton that had me laughing out loud!
Paula Montgomery
Clever twists lead to a successful ending with Cora, The Puzzle Lady, in the clear. Crosswords figure in the plot and the ending wasn't readily apparent. It was a good easy summer read.
Kim Nardi
Jul 11, 2011 Kim Nardi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the Puzzle Lady books. I didnt like the last one either. Series is going down hill.
Brenda Sharp
Mar 24, 2016 Brenda Sharp rated it it was amazing
This was a great stumper with the puzzles that were in the story...took me much longer to fill them in...Love Cora as always
Dale
Jul 29, 2009 Dale rated it really liked it
# Book sale book cute need to read others in order
Suzanne
Dec 02, 2011 Suzanne rated it liked it
More convoluted that most of these stories, with a few unbelievable connections thrown in at the end. Always entertaining to see what Cora will think of next.
Patti
Aug 21, 2012 Patti rated it really liked it
Another one of the Puzzle Lady books. In this one Cora is sued for plagerism by a man who writes poetry. When he ends up dead, Cora is set up as the main suspect.
Karen
Oct 14, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
hysterical
Miste
Sep 12, 2008 Miste rated it liked it
This series of books cracks me up. I think the Puzzle Lady is a hoot. Love the series.
Feb 02, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: gift
Gave it a shot (gift from mom) and it was mediocre as expected.. some funny moments but just not for me.
Geoffrey Gelb
Geoffrey Gelb rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Gheeta
Gheeta rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2010
  • Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Knockdown (Home Repair Is Homicide, #14)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • A Whisper to the Living (Porfiry Rostnikov, #16)
  • Statue of Limitations (Den of Antiquity, #11)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Three Odd Balls (Cue Ball Mysteries, #3)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • The Ghost Pirate's Treasure: Mystery of the Jaguar Warrior (Paranormally Yours, #1)
  • Zombies of the Gene Pool (Jay Omega, #2)

Puzzle Lady (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #1)
  • Last Puzzle & Testament (Puzzle Lady #2)
  • Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady #3)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady #4)
  • With this Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady #5)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #7)
  • The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady #9)
  • Dead Man's Puzzle (Puzzle Lady #10)
  • The Puzzle Lady vs. The Sudoku Lady (Puzzle Lady #11)