Start by marking “Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1)

Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  2,150 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
Blanco County, Texas: It's the week before deer hunting season, as close to a statewide holiday as you get in Texas, and the locals are getting restless. Game Warden John Marlin has his hands full with poaching complaints coming in faster than he can write out-of-season tickets. Then a call of a different sort comes in. A man dressed up in some sort of deer costume has bee ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published September 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Buck Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buck Fever

Glenda
Aug 04, 2012 Glenda rated it did not like it
Shelves: rejects
I did not read this book past the first chapter. Thank goodness, it was a free Kindle book. Beer drinking,profanity, belching, hunting deer out of season..not my cup of tea. If those things interest you this is the book for you. To each his own. Too many books left for me to read to waste time with something so out of my element.
Mary Mathews
Jun 04, 2012 Mary Mathews rated it it was amazing
A comic mystery in the vein of Hiassen,Evanovich, and Kinky Friedman. I admit it. I am a Texan and I like to read novels set in Texas. Rehder's characters ring somewhat true to people I have known.I enjoy any book that can have a line like "...but what does a stripper know about stealing a deer?"
Beth
This story is based in my home area of the Texas Hill Country, so I was pre-disposed to want to read this book!
It was chock full of stereotypes: The bumbling rednecks, the slimy sheriff, the greedy land baron, the South American drug dealers, the honest-but-under-appreciated lawman, and the lovely nurse that captures our hero's heart. Yep, this story had them all. But I still liked it, mainly because of the humor and the fast pace. It never got boring, but I had a few small issues.
I c
Katy
May 11, 2009 Katy rated it liked it
This is a mystery by an Austin TX author. He sets his stories in Blanco County, which happens to be where Bob and I have a home. I enjoyed the book. He managed to keep his plot moving and his characters bizzare, which makes for a fun read. I liked the local touches, although I can see where you might need to be from the area to really get into it.

The story involves deer hunting, drug smuggling, and good-old-boys vs slick political types. Fun stuff for a quick read.
Lori
Sep 26, 2007 Lori rated it really liked it
This book was so funny in spots, I live in Texas and it reminded me of people I have met.
H R Koelling
Mar 18, 2011 H R Koelling rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
A pleasant novel with great characters and a fun plot. Not really an exceptionally comical book, but it had it's stabs at humor: "If you think I'm taking a rifle to a quarter-million dollars' worth of animals, you're nuttier than a squirrel's morning crap."

There are a lot of well developed and memorable characters in this book, some of which were pretty funny. I'm always a sucker for a pair of drunken hicks scheming for a better life who think days filled with Milwaukee's Best and beef jerky ar
Mona
Jul 16, 2008 Mona rated it really liked it
If you like absurdity you have to read Ben Rehder. His books poke fun at both extremes of the hunting industry, gun control/NRA, environmental issues, religious extremists, crooked politicians, you name it and he skewers it. His main character is John Marlin, a game warden in Blanco County, Texas. The comic relief is provide by Red and Billy Don, who work only when they have to and spend full-time poaching, drinking and trying to figure out how to impress women and hit it big with one scam after ...more
Greg Rothenberger
Jan 05, 2012 Greg Rothenberger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Carl Hiassen or Tim Dorsey
Shelves: mystery
I had never heard of this book or the author before, but I found it on Amazon for the Kindle, and the description sounded kind of interesting. It was free, so I decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did.

This is the first in a series of Blanco county, Texas mysteries. It involves deer hunting season, deer ranching, drug smuggling, and just general corruption. In some ways, it reminds me of two of my favorite authors: Carl Hiassen and Tim Dorsey. Like Hiassen and Dorsey, Buck Fever is filled with h
Lara
Jun 18, 2015 Lara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was very well written, fast moving mystery. It is not a style I really enjoy, but I thought the author did a great job with keeping a sizable cast of characters clear, keeping things moving with relatively quick 'visits' with different characters, and building in just enough back story along the way to make the characters come to life.

The tale is too full of people I don't like for me to really like it. And, while I'm not a fan of this type of writing (it reminded me a bit of Tim Dorsey's
☯Emily
Feb 07, 2013 ☯Emily rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to ☯Emily by: Goodread Cozy Mysteries
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2013
Is Texas considered part of the Bible Belt? After reading this book, you probably will answer no. There was not one person who I would consider a "nice, law-abiding" citizen. Everyone had a vile mouth. The book was filled with violence, although the author did not go into graphic detail. Many people have read this book and thought it was humorous. I must have lost my sense of humor because I found very little to laugh about. I guess most people would think Red and his friend, Billy Don, were hum ...more
LJ
BUCK FEVER – G+ - if it’s your kind of thing
Ben Rehder – 1st book
County game warden John Marlin and Sheriff Herbert Mackey lock horns when two dumb-and-dumber poachers accidentally shoot another idiotic guy wearing a deer costume. The poachers also wound a particularly rambunctious big-antlered buck, which just happens to be Marlin's former pet. Elsewhere in the county, a body is discovered beneath a shoddily repaired bridge, and a slick, drug-dealing Colombian comes looking for a game, ranch-ow
D.L. Williams
Feb 14, 2014 D.L. Williams rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, the authors first (nominated for Edgar award). It was a funny read, good twists and turns, really good characters and “accents” throughout the book. Some of the activity was unbelievable, but at the same time I thought it just might happen that way. There was a lot of hunting, lots of drinking, and quite a bit of illegal activity. Added up, who wouldn’t have fun while hunting, drinking, and committing crimes? A fun Texas romp.
Rachael Mcdonnell
Jan 29, 2011 Rachael Mcdonnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, FUN, FUN read. Loved it-kicks off the series-HaHa it's #1. The others I've read in the series have ups and downs but they are all enjoyable. I have a bit of a crush on the Ranger.
I lived/worked in the area for a chunk of years and it's fun to have places I know about in the story. (a side benefit for me....) But if your in the Hill Country the stories will give you an extra giggle and if not then you will want to come visit.
Karen
Oct 14, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-states
It's the beginning of deer hunting season and John Marlin, the game warden of Blanco County, Texas will be very busy keeping ahead of the poachers. Marlin is finding that all is not well on one the ranches where deer hunting is a very lucrative sport, too lucrative.
This book had everything Drug Lords, dirty cops, romance and a couple of humorous rednecks that just want to make as much money as possible.
Susan
Sep 05, 2007 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was an unlikely read for me. A book about deer hunting...dead deer are not my cup of tea. But, a friend recommended it and I was pleasantly surprised. The premise was amusing enough and the characters were quirky enough to make me plow through it eagerly in a couple of sittings. Apparently, it's part of a series. Not sure if I'll read others - it stands alone just fine.
Beth
Sep 30, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
A coworker recommended this to me because she thought it was really funny. Well, apparently I have a different sense of humor because I didn't find it that funny. It was a good mystery so give it a try!
Chris
Jan 20, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
As many people have mentioned on here, this is a quirky series filled with quirky charaters. You have to be a fan or humor about southern, redneck, deer hunters and you will appreciate this cozy quick read. Blanco County is a strange place and it lends itself well to this mystery.
Glenn
Oct 12, 2008 Glenn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Carl Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey and Bill Fitzhugh
Shelves: humorous-novels
First in a series of books by Rehder that center around a game warden in Blanco County, Texas. Includes a cast of wacky characters, including a couple of rednecks that provide a lot of the comedic elements of this mystery.
Stephanie
If you live with a hunter, you gotta read this book.
Ben Rehder is both a heck of a nice guy and
a VERY FUNNY writer. Ben deserves every bit of success
that comes his way in life.
Sharon
Jan 16, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
If you are a fan of Carl Hiaasen you will probably enjoy this book, essentially a Texas version of that genre.
Bob
Aug 11, 2011 Bob added it
very good book..a lot of characters to keep track of
Sue
Sep 07, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
Funny mystery. Sort of like Hiassen in Texas. Good series
Whitney
Dec 27, 2009 Whitney rated it it was amazing
the classic redneck mystery. Loved it!
Gretchen Pruett
Jan 30, 2009 Gretchen Pruett rated it liked it
Listened to the unabridged version - other than the narrator having a little trouble with Texas pronunciation, loved this book.
Katy
Jul 26, 2009 Katy rated it really liked it
Another Blanco County story full of redneck humor....
Susan Moore
Apr 08, 2009 Susan Moore rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I live in San Antonio and have driven through Blanco on 281 several times. It is a very different place than the city and he captures that fact well.
Karen
Jan 28, 2016 Karen rated it did not like it
The description of this book sounded like it might be a fun, different kind of book. Different is right. Rude, crude. No way I can finish this, because I can't unread what I've read.
Michael
Sep 18, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
crazy
Roberta Marro
Apr 19, 2009 Roberta Marro rated it really liked it
Oh, yeah. This is the other one I read.
Carole
Nov 13, 2008 Carole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: texas-mystery
Ol' boy has a flare for the bent funny...a relieef in these times.
Buck Fever—any questions? 2 14 May 20, 2014 02:18PM
Buck Fever—any questions? 1 8 Sep 02, 2011 06:49AM
  • A Dead Red Cadillac (A Dead Red, #1)
  • Take the Monkeys and Run (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Big Leagues (A Cat McDaniel Mystery, #1)
  • Antler Dust (The Allison Coil Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Tutti Frutti (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator, Book 5)
  • Key Lime Blues (Wes Darling Mystery, #1)
  • Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • The Cart Before the Corpse
  • London Broil (Wendy Darlin Tomb Raider #2)
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Nobody's Perfect (Dortmunder, #4)
  • Deadly Gamble (Charlie Parker #1)
  • Cut, Crop & Die (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)
  • Heartshot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #1)
  • Nursing a Grudge (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #4)
  • Highway 61 Resurfaced
  • Mastered by Mavericks (Doms of Destiny, Colorado #3)
Ben Rehder wanted to become a writer ever since he was dropped on his head as a toddler. As he grew into a young adult and the vertigo gradually dissipated, his passion for literature grew. Ben longed to craft the type of soul-stirring prose that would touch people’s lives and help them explore new emotional horizons. But he went to work at an ad agency instead.

Throughout his rewarding and fruitfu
More about Ben Rehder...

A Blanco County Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bone Dry (A Blanco County Mystery #2)
  • Flat Crazy (A Blanco County Mystery #3)
  • Guilt Trip (A Blanco County Mystery #4)
  • Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)
  • Holy Moly (A Blanco County Mystery #6)
  • Mind Game
  • Hog Heaven (A Blanco County Mystery, #7)
  • Stag Party (A Blanco County Mystery, #8)
  • Bum Steer (Blanco County Mysteries Book 9)
  • Point Taken (Blanco County Mysteries Book 10)

“THURSDAY NIGHT, PHIL Colby lay” 1 likes