Start by marking “A Rule Against Murder: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel” as Want to Read:
A Rule Against Murder: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel

A Rule Against Murder: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #4)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  29,731 Ratings  ·  2,398 Reviews
"What happened here last night isn't allowed," said Madame Dubois.
It was such an extraordinary thing to say it stopped the ravenous Inspector Beauvoir from taking another bite of his roast beef on baguette.
"You have a rule against murder?" he asked.
"I do. When my husband and I bought the Bellechasse we made a pact....Everything that stepped foot on this land would be safe.
Published January 20th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Rule Against Murder, please sign up.

Denise I wouldn't characterize it as fun. More sober than fun. The mystery is intriguing as are the characters, some more fully developed than others, but…moreI wouldn't characterize it as fun. More sober than fun. The mystery is intriguing as are the characters, some more fully developed than others, but the continuing characters in the series continue to be developed and interesting. (less)

Erica
Previously on Goodreads, my review for book 3

You know?
These are really growing on me.
Thanks, Mom!

So, here's a stupid conversation I had with my mom last week while we were sitting in the waiting room between doctor's appointments.
Me: "Oh, hey, I'm listening to the next Louise Penny book."
Mom (perks up): "Which one?"
Me: "It's either the fourth or the fifth. It's the one that takes place in the lodge out in the wilderness and there are snotty rich people there while Gamache and his wife, Rene Mari
Phrynne
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Number 4 in the series and I actually enjoyed it a little less than the first three. It may be because I listened to this one on audio and I found the narrator annoying - he had a lovely voice and a beautiful French accent but he read in a kind of staccato, the words jumping out instead of flowing. Or it may be because the book itself was a little weaker than the earlier ones.
Armand Gamache was his usual charming self and this time his charming wife was very much in evidence too. It was a good t
Mona
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Enjoyable Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery

Book Four of Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series, "A Rule Against Murder", unlike the previous books, is not set in the picturesque Quebecois village of Three Pines (although the protagonists do pay Three Pines a visit).

Instead, most of the action occurs at the Manoir Bellechasse, a luxurious and remote Quebec Inn (patterned on the real Hovey Manor).

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the homicide division of the Montreal Surete and his wi
Anirudh
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anirudh by: Neena
I began reading this book with high expectations. It had received a lot of praise and high ratings. So naturally I was eager to unravel its mysteries. But unfortunately, it was a letdown. I am not sure whether the author was trying to write a crime thriller or a family drama. I would not call this a thriller, as there is no thrill. None what so ever. There were a few good points and a lot of bad points which made me give this book 2 stars. SPOILER ALERTS!!

POSITIVE POINTS

1. Setting. The protago
Richard Derus
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm mad at Louise Penny because of book #5 in the Three Pines/Chief Inspector Gamache mysteries, and I want to take it out on her now, but in fairness I just can't. I loved this book as much as I expected to. I thought that moving the action out of Three Pines would make me grumpy, but instead it made me feel, more than ever, that I want to live in Three Pines because Manoir Bellechasse is close for those times I need to get away from the hectic hustle and bustle of Three Pines (snort).

The Gamac
Carol
Seems I've never wrote a review about the 4th in Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. Oh well, there's plenty of other reviews. I do remember liking it as Three Pines is like coming home.
Margitte
Chief Inspector Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie, are celebrating their thirty-five-year wedding anniversary by staying at Manoir Bellechasse for a few days. The rich, cultured, respectable Finney family, an old- or no money family, living in a meritocracy, graces their presence in this remote auberge. One of the family's members desrcibes the family as “seven mad Morrows in a verchère”. The matriarch was now a Finney, but was actually still a Marrow in many ways. So much so, that she wanted a s ...more
Jim
One of the wonderful things about a Louise Penny novel is that it is not just a whodunit. The reader needs to figure out how it was done ... as are Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team. In A Fatal Grace the victim was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village. In The Cruelest Month the victim dies during a séance. The author delivers another murder most unusual in this story.

Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary at
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

A wedding anniversary celebration for Armand and Reine-Marie and a family reunion at Manoir Bellechasse for the Morrow family bring Louise Penny's familiar characters back to beautiful Three Pines and along with the characters comes a murder.

The Morrow family is known to not have much love for each other. When a marble statue is brought into the pristine landscape, questions are raised about why it is there. A thunderstorm brings a tragic surprise to mar the statue's meaning.

A RULE AGAINST MURDE
Maya
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Когато четох дебютната книга на Луиз Пени Убийството на художника, си признах, че в първата й третина се чудех защо си го причинявам и едва после я харесах достатъчно, за да продължа със серията. Оттогава, в следващите две книги от серията за инспектор Гамаш Пени ставаше все по-добра, за да стигне до тази книга, която е... не се сещам за друга дума, освен великолепна.

Превъзходен баланс между интрига, психология на образите, атмосфера, преплитане на сюжетни линии, и всичко това описано с такъв б
Jeff Grosser
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been lucky enough to read these wonderful mysteries during the time of year when they take place. The descriptions are so warm & cozy that I feel like I am right there with Chief Inspector Gamache, and we are working to solve the murder together. The next book in the series, The Brutal Telling, appears to take place in the fall so I will read it then.

I was also able to learn a couple of things in this book: 1) Count your blessings. 2) Never use the first stall in a public restroom.
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been hooked on Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series since I read her debut novel, Still Life. Yet, as great as the novels have been, A Rule Against Murder still somehow manages to top all of the previous ones.

As ever, Penny plots out an interesting murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the end. However, what truly will delight the reader are the secrets revealed about Peter Morrow's well-to-do family and one about Armand Gamache himself. The theme of when to remember
Patti
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patti by: Robin Agnew gave me an ARC--thank you!
I just want to hang out with Armand Gamache. He is such a calm, practical person to be around, and you just know that he'll figure out who did what and why. In this entry into the series, Armand and his wife, Reine-Marie, are spending their anniversary at their favorite lodge, not far from Three Pines. While they there, a family reunion is going on also, with a family that seems such in name only--they are related to each other, but there is no affection displayed or even seemingly felt among th ...more
Paula
Louise Penny is a master in the murder mystery genre. A Rule Against Murder, the fourth in her Chief Inspector Gamache series, takes us places in the minds of her characters like no other writer out there.

The setting for this book is different from her usual Three Pines. The Gamaches are at a resort in the wilderness celebrating their anniversary. Here we get to meet the Finneys for a family reunion, and an interesting one at that. We meet a family full of abuse and cruelty for themselves and e
Connie
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-cd, 2014
I have listened to this series and Inspector Gamache is the perfect companion for my commute. This one took the reader away from Three Pines and I enjoyed the many glimpses into Gamaches life and even his demons. Each one is getting just a bit better as these characters have become more familiar to me, almost like good, comfortable old friends.

The murder in this one left me guessing right up until the reveal....and no guess was correct. Not the who or how. I love when the light bulb comes on a
Amy
I just finished Book 4 of the Three Pines Mysteries, featuring the sublime Inspector Gamache. The narrator for these books, Ralph Cosham, is just excellent. He has the perfect manner, inflection and timber of voice for the characters and general narration, not to mention his excellent French, of which I don't speak a word! If I could get all of these audiobooks from my local library, I would listen to this entire series.

It was refreshing for the murder investigation in this book to take place ou
Mandy Radley
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing about returning to work after the holidays and then going away for the weekend seriously impacts on your reading time. However I have finally finished number 4 in the Armand Gamache series, thoroughly enjoyed it, and didn't guess whodunnit. Bring on number 5.
Bettie☯
Description: It is the height of summer, and Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, an isolated, luxurious inn not far from the village of Three Pines. But they're not alone. The Finney family -- rich, cultured, and respectable -- has also arrived for a celebration of their own.
The beautiful Manoir Bellechasse might be surrounded by nature, but there is something unnatural looming. As the heat rises and the humidity closes in, some surpris
Moira Fogarty
See, the problem with setting this mystery at Manoir Bellechasse, a vacation resort in the wilderness, is that I go to Three Pines for a mental vacation already. Taking me on vacation from my vacation spot just annoys the heck out of me. I don't want a big house with a fancy chef and bugs, full of annoying guests! I want a cozy village with a B&B and regular townfolk. I wished I was at the Clogging Competition instead of hanging out with the totally irredeemably godawful Finney clan. I did n ...more
Rita
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this one as much as the previous ones. It seemed much darker and it included a family that you love to hate. The Gamaches are staying at a beautiful lodge near Three Pines, of course, to celebrate their anniversary and, surprise, a murder takes place. It's a member of this rich, constantly bickering family. A couple from Three Pines show up, Clara and Peter Morrow, because Peter is a member of the awful dysfunctional family. Peter and the rest of his family are all suspects becaus ...more
Mackey St
I must admit that Louise Penny is quickly becoming one of my very favorite mystery writers. Her Armand Gamache series is one of the best I've read. In "A Rule Against Muder," Chief Inspector Gamache and his wife are celebrating their anniversary at a cozy, wooded inn. They are not alone, however, as a rather obnoxious family is also at the inn celebrating a family reunion. Before the week is out, one of the family members is murdered and Gamache goes from guest to Inspector.

As with most of Penny
Claire H
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Brilliant. I have finally found a replacement for P.D. James - someone who writes mysteries that are as rich and deep and literate, as gifted at viewing human character, and as high-calibre with building the whodunit, but without the thread of haunting despair that runs through all James novels, particularly her Dalgliesh mysteries. Both writers plunge the reader immediately into a richly layered world, and both explore the surprises, the dusty and ugly corners, the twisty labyrinth of the human ...more
Patricia Fraser
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second of Louise Penny's Gamache series I've read...each is a stand alone, but there may be merit in reading them in order as the character development is wonderful. Her writing is intelligent and frequently laugh-out-loud funny. I find her descriptions of small events make me appreciate simple things.

Not all her sentences are lengthy, but the following quote is one I wish I'd been thoughtful enough to write. She's speaking of someone escaping from an argumentative, caustic crowd of relation
Milena
Много харесвам Пени и въпреки че е клише, тя наистина става все по-добра със всяка следваща книга. Липсваше ми Ивет Никол, но сигурно ще я има в следващите книги ;)
Roman Clodia
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps the most Christie-esque of Penny's books that I've read so far: the dysfunctional family in an isolated hotel where one of the members is murdered in an impossible way. Luckily, Armand Gamache is on hand to unpack the clues and navigate the currents that underlie this fractured family.

It's perhaps good to have a small break from Three Pines and the tensions in Gamache's professional life, but Penny's deft characterisation and effortless narrative drive don't let her down.
Mary Ellen
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I'd really like to give this book 2 1/2 stars. I ended up giving it 3 because I enjoyed the main character, Armand Gamache, very much, and his wife, Reine-Marie, almost as much. (I think I'd like her better if her name weren't Queen Mary...) Gamache reminds me of a French-Canadian Guido Brunetti (for those who don't know him, check out Donna Leon). Or maybe Guido is a Venetian Armand Gamache. Anyway, they are both dedicated, experienced, prudent, happy at home, and eaters and lovers of lots of g ...more
Barbara
I didn't love this as much as the other Gamache novels. Nevertheless, it features many of the things we love about Gamache. He is noble, and dedicated to the art of finding murderers. In this novel, he is at a resort when a murder occurs. It is a resort he has long visited with his wife. At the center of the story is an exceedingly unpleasant family. Penny portrays the self absorbed character of this way brilliantly. Gamache is at the end a hero and has solved the mystery by paying careful atten ...more
Nanosynergy
Inspector Armand Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie celebrate their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse - an isolated inn about a mountain away from the village of Three Pines. Staying there also are the wealth and dysfunctional Finneys having their family reunion. When one of the Finney family is murdered, Inspector Gamache investigates.
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio, 2017
I am hooked on Louise Penny and I'm so happy that there are many more Inspector Gamache novels in my future. This fourth novel takes us out of Three Pines - - which is for the best because I was really starting to wonder how such a small provincial village could have so many murders. I've been doing the audio version of these books and so far they are all read by Ralph Cosham. It's very comforting to hear his voice when I come back to this series.
Tea and Loss 1 13 May 21, 2017 03:02PM
The Three Pines: A Rule Against Murder / The Murder Stone #4 1 12 Jan 18, 2017 09:19AM
Around the Year i...: A Rule Against Murder, by Louise Penny 1 15 Jan 09, 2017 03:07PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #44 A Rule Against Murder 1 5 Aug 11, 2016 10:27AM
Who is Beans Father. 1 36 Nov 29, 2015 05:16AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #65 - A Rule Against Murder (Gamache #4) by Louise Penny 1 2 May 04, 2015 04:08PM
  • Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • The Dark Vineyard (Bruno, Chief of Police #2)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • Death in a Strange Country (Commissario Brunetti, #2)
194243
LOUISE PENNY, a former CBC radio journalist, is the #1 New York Times and Globe and Mail bestselling author of thirteen Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novels. She has been awarded the John Creasey Dagger, Nero, Macavity and Barry Awards, as well as two each of the Arthur Ellis and Dilys Awards. Additionally, Penny has won six Agatha Awards and five Anthony Awards, and has been a finalist for an Ed ...more
More about Louise Penny...

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)
  • The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #11)
“But you want murderous feelings? Hang around librarians," confided Gamache. "All that silence. Gives them ideas.” 88 likes
“We're all blessed and we're all blighted, Chief Inspector," said Finney. "Everyday each of us does our sums. The question is, what do we count?” 32 likes