Start by marking “Dimanche and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Dimanche and Other Stories

Dimanche and Other Stories

A never-before-translated collection by the bestselling author of Suite Française

Written between 1934 and 1942, these ten gem-like stories mine the same terrain of Némirovsky's bestselling novel Suite Française: a keen eye for the details of social class; the tensions between mothers and daughters, husbands and wives; the manners and mannerisms of the French bourgeoisie; questions of reli
Published April 6th 2010 by Vintage (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Dimanche and Other Stories, please sign up.
Helen The name of this story is "The Ball", but it is not included in the book "Dimanche and Other Stories". I have read it in the book "David Golder; The…moreThe name of this story is "The Ball", but it is not included in the book "Dimanche and Other Stories". I have read it in the book "David Golder; The Ball; Snow in Autumn; and The Couriloff Affair" (ISBN 0307267083 (ISBN13: 9780307267085). I am sure you will enjoy all these stories, each of them is a little jem.(less)

Start your review of Dimanche and Other Stories
Ali
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Persephone publishes a number of collections of short stories – and they are generally the kind of short stories I love. Dimanche and other stories were all written in the 1930’s and 40’s but not published in English until 2000. This is a truly wonderful collection, beautifully written, atmospheric stories, breathtakingly observed, some are almost like short novels in themselves, and peopled with memorably complex but very real characters.
Short stories as I have said before are very difficult t
Schmacko
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Continuing my obsessive reading of Irène Némirovsky, I picked up a collection of her short stories, Dimanche (Sunday). These brief writings—mostly from the 30s and early 40s—have just recently been translated from Némirovsky’s French into English. Here, in ten short tales, we get a clear sense of a writer coming into her own style and voice. Although she doesn’t quite tap the emotional depth she did with her unfinished 1942 masterpiece Suite Française, it’s easy to sense her growth and the shapi ...more
Isabelle
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: french
Each one of those ten stories was an absolute gem; I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite among them. Nemirovsky's world is so distinctive, with its atmosphere of loneliness, disconnection and bourgeois aloofness. I felt like I was visiting an old friend I had not seen in a while, and I picked up where we had left off, smoothly and effortlessly.

classic reverie
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What is it that attracts us to certain authors & others we shy away from? The more I read by Irene Nemirovsky the clearer it becomes why she so attracts me to her stories. If you remember earlier this year I read her unfinished book "Suite Francaise", which I had heard about over at the reading thread. I was extremely interested in this immigrant of France during the Russian Revolution at a young age. She was born 1903 to a wealthy banking family in Kiev but during the Russian Revolution the ...more
Tuck
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: europa, short-stories
masterful short stories mostly set in paris before and in beginning of wwii. an interesting aspect is most of the dialog is interior and in quotes, and what little is "said" out loud to each other is banal, duplicitous, rote. seems all her characters can reason and communicate with THEMSELVES, but loath and disdain others, even their own lovers and family. just wonderful art and stories. just imagine if she had survived the nazis.
Diane
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books-read
Dimanche and Other Stories is a a wonderful collection of (1) short stories, written between 1934 - 1942. The author, and her husband died in Auschwitz, but their two you daughter survived, protected by a teacher, friends of the family in various safe houses. Some of her writing was tucked away in a suitcase and saved, and then published many years after her death.

The stories in this collection take place in France before and after the war. Most of the stories centered around family,
Ericka
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was beautifully written in its simplicity. Nemirovsky weaves the lives of various social classes during pre-war conditions together, illustrating class differences, but simultaneously showing that these differences are irelevent in the course of human living. Highly recommended.
Sskous
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
another penetrating set of small studies by Nemirovsky. very fine reading.
Bryan
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The writing here is so gorgeous I probably ended up reading the entire book twice. Beautiful and terribly sad.
Sasha Martinez
Oct 02, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2010
The stories in the collection display the same depth of character in Suite Française — people caught in the war, people caught in their own lives despite of the war: socialites, politicians, children, farmers, artists. And Némirovsky once again displays how she can be both ruthless and lovely with her characters, her stories.

In the stories “Brotherhood,” “The Spectator” and “Mister Rose,” we’ve got entitled characters, those who feel themselves untouchable by the war. And in the bottom line
Stephanie
Jun 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Readying Nemirovsky is like having a bottomless stomach, paired with a bottomless supply of chocolate ice cream from Paris' Berthillon cafe (walk over the pedestrian bridge from the back side of Notre Dame and your first cafe on your right is Berthillon). You never want her books to end. She has just the right combination of smooth richness and sweetness, with a touch of bitterness.

"Dimanche" ("Sunday") is a set of dix (ten) short stories. Some work much better than others. All deal with class,
Austen to Zafón
I thoroughly savored this book of short stories from before & during WWII in France, which is something for me since i usually tear through books too quickly to truly savor them. But the writing was so careful and beautiful, and the stories so poignant, they refused to be rushed. Némirovsky was born in the Ukraine in 1903, but moved to France, went to the Sorbonne, and wrote prolifically until her death in 1942 in Auschwitz in 1942. And I'm thrilled she did because I look forward to reading ...more
Jenna
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A solid collection of stories about familial commitments and betrayals.

In the title story, a mother and daughter each mistakenly imagines the naivete of the other. In several stories--especially "Those Happy Shores," "Brotherhood," and "The Unknown Soldier"--characters find uncanny similarities between their own lives and those they might have otherwise considered the enemy. The dawn of World War II is evident in "The Unknown Soldier," "Mr. Rose," and "The Spectator," and is especially interest
Barbm1020
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I loved this book because it's so French! Having enjoyed French literature as a college student years ago, it was bittersweet to revisit the bittersweet days of 1934 in France, and the touching depictions of women young and older, as they approach their need for love and their view of one another and of the men in their lives. Each seems to think that others are happier. So true to life. Then the war comes. Lives are lost, damaged, families suffer, fragile relationships are destroyed by the desi ...more
Christine Comito
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enamored of Nemirovsky. I especially liked the Fraternite/Brotherhood story, about the successful businessman who meets an old Jew with the same last name and the old Jew tells the man they are surely related, from the same poor town in Russia, and he must've come from poor stock because why would a successful person leave? The businessman is skeptical, but is certainly struck by the coincidence.
Other favorites include The Spell, about the girl in the Ukraine, and The Spectator, about
Rosemary
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: persephone
Irène Némirovsky was a French writer of Ukrainian Jewish origin, born 1903 and died 1942 in Auschwitz. She was well known in France during her lifetime, publishing several novels and many short stories. She is best known now for the unfinished multi-part novel Suite Francaise which was discovered and published in 2004.

The stories in this collection are mostly gentle studies of characters and relationships. Often there is not much in the way of plot and drama, even though death may be involved
V.S. Kemanis
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this collection in my car on the way to work. Narrator Cassandra Campbell is exceptional and lets the story speak for itself, adding just the hint of an accent or inflection when necessary to let you know who's speaking. Némirovsky writes the kind of story I love, very rich in depth of character, extremely subtle, full of psychological suspense and secrets that creep up to reveal themselves. Amazing that stories written 70 years ago feel so true, the emotions so relevant. "Don Juan ...more
Rebecca
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't like short stories, because I like a full book to develop story lines. But I decided to make an exception for Irene, since I loved so many of her other books. The short stories weren't as passionate as Suite Française, the unfinished work giving her a lot of attention these days. However, each short story peers into the human mind to see how it works, which is fascinating. Her characters are always so fleshed out, and this is no exception. I recommend it to everyone, whether you' ...more
Lorri
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The ten stories in Dimanche and Other Stories, by Irene Nemirovsky, are vivid images of life, set primarily in France. From the bourgeois and their social status, to the Holocaust horrors, Nemirovsky’s perspective on individuals coming to grips with their situations is compelling and startling.

Nemirovsky is brilliant at evoking the feelings and thoughts of the varied class statuses, and how they interplay with each other, in the daily norm of life. The bourgeois, in the end, realize how their w
Don
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
20 in 1934 Paris older one was alone loss useless doomed, inheritance led to every possible money loss with your character marriage was disaster, all the daily struggles that unite couples more strongly than love, a man’s life exists when wife takes hold thereof, nothing binds more than natural struggles as in youth, something overpowering about a woman who wants to be loved, what women wants God wants, never mock body face lovemaking, what in heart in mind to actions, go with God, artists live ...more
Patty
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: readin10
This book is a collection of ten stories writtn between 1934 and 1942. Like her others writings, Nemirovsky has a keen sense of detail. She is able to describe the manners and mannerisms of the lives of men and women in wartime France in a few pages that leave you knowing that person. The tensions between mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, are not contrived but seem natural. I think I could read Nemirovsky again and again.
Alison
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it

I am usually not a big fan of short stories but I really enjoyed this book. It was a interesting look at the upper class in France before the war. The bulk of the stories focus on relationships and they way we lie and hurt each other. The last couple of stories look at the beginning of the war and the impact on France. The author was killed in Auschwitz in 1943, the end leaves you wishing you could read her reflections on the rest of the war.
Diane
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just love the writing of Irene Nemirovsky and these short stories are just as wonderful as her novels. While some stories were definitely more interesting than others, Nemirovsky is a master at drawing characters and setting the atmosphere. I am always saddened at remembering how her life ended and what has been missed because of that.
Maddie
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Némirovsky is talented in her ability to look at an issue or event from many perspectives. This talent is wonderfully showcased in this collection of extremely human characters as they react to the upcoming/occurring WWII.
Stacy Jensen
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another lovely selection from Irene Nemirovsky. Those who are fans of Suites Francaise will appreciate the depth and richness to be found in her characters. Ten short stories with different themes, some poignantly about the war that would soon take her life. I highly recommend.
Jodi
May 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written collection of ten short stories, Némirovsky's Dimanche evokes France during the '30s and '40s in such a way that I can almost see Parisian life bustling as it must have been during that era. I can't get enough of her writing.
Bob
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
An excellent book of short stories that take place between 1934 and 1942. The stories examine family life and social class in France during this period of time. Through Nemirovsky's writing you feel are actually in the story settings with the characters and a part of their lives.
Christine
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really appreciate Nemirovsky's ability to create these short portraits of people from this time period. Some of the stories stood out to me as exceptional, and there were a few I didn't care for. Overall, the book was a good read.
Jenny M
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a newly-translated collection of Nemirovsky stories. As with Suite Francaise, I was astonished by her ability to write reflectively about the early years of the war contemporaneously as events unfolded.
Laurie
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good - this series of short stories is dark, but each is thought provoking. Best when not treated as a fast read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Miss Ranskill Comes Home
  • The Making of a Marchioness, Part I and II (Emily Fox-Seton #1-2)
  • El corazón helado
  • The Shuttle
  • Guard Your Daughters
  • Diary of a Provincial Lady
  • Miss Buncle Married (Miss Buncle, #2)
  • London War Notes, 1939-1945
  • The Country of the Pointed Firs
  • La voz dormida
  • El camino
  • A Child's Christmas in Wales
  • Miss Buncle's Book (Miss Buncle, #1)
  • And the Band Played On: The Titanic Violinist & the Glovemaker: A True Story of Love, Loss & Betrayal
Irène Némirovsky (born February 11, 1903, Kiev, died August 17, 1942, Auschwitz, German Occupied Poland) was a Jewish novelist and biographer born in the Ukraine, who lived and worked in France.

“Where do we find happiness? We pursue it, search for it, kill ourselves trying to find it, and all the time it's just here...It comes just when we've stopped expecting anything, stopped hoping, stopped being afraid.” 6 likes
“How tolerable misfortunes appear when they affect only other people! How strong the human body seems when it's another man's flesh that bleeds! How easy it is to look death in the face when it's another man's turn!” 3 likes