Start by marking “Last Standing Woman” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  291 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A powerful and poignant novel tracing the lives of seven generations of Anishinaabe (O)bwe/Chippewa).'...an impressive fiction debut....skillfully intertwines social history. oral myth and character study...." Publishers Weekly.
Published November 26th 1999 by Voyageur Press (first published December 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Last Standing Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Standing Woman

ElphaReads
(originally reviewed at elphareads.tumblr.com )

As many of you know, I have made it my mission this year to read more books from more diverse experiences and backgrounds. I think that it’s important to get multiple perspectives on the world we live in, and one way to do that is via reading. When I was looking for books written by and about American Indians, I found a title by former Vice Presidential Candidate Winona LaDuke (she ran with Nader back in the day). She also happens to live on the Wh
Allicia
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I related to the main character and the events that unfolded throughout the storyline. It has become one of my favorite books. I was surprised when reading this to find that Winona LaDuke, in my opinion, is a very good fiction writer. She has mainly written non-fiction books on indigenous cultures and societal effects, that it was a nice change to see this side of her writing ability. I fully recommend this book!
Ryan Mishap
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-novels
The wonderfully told story of White earth and its people from the 1800's to 2000 and beyond. Well done, informative and entertaining tale of the cycles of life, from near annihlation to rejuvenation. This is a great novel.
Karen
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. A wonderful addition to anyone's library, especially if they are interested in American Indian Stories. Wonderful read.
Hillary
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most powerful books I have ever read about shared history and tradition as it passes through generations and their connection to themselves, their community and the land changes.
Melle
Jan 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Minnesotans, historians, and humanity
Recommended to Melle by: Ginny Carney
Shelves: indigenous, minnesota
The story of the Minnesota Anishinaabeg told through multiple perspectives over several generations -- thought-provoking local historical fiction.
Tiffany
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is both heart-breaking and beautiful, and it makes great use of the traditions of storytelling. Love that Winona.
Melanie
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Informative and powerful, if not the most aesthetically pleasing.
Amy
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I live in MN and think the world of Winona LaDuke. She has done such important work. I should have read this book years ago. The White Earth Reservation is necessary to our state and I had no idea about the history of the region - which turns out to be complicated and goes way back into the late 1800's. I also think this is a familiar story for many reservations in the country. It is technically a novel but based in fact. I had the honor of meeting her several times and read her updates online. ...more
Loren
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the time you'll spend reading and rereading

The Last Woman Standing tells the story of one tribe of Native Americans. While the first few chapters confused me and left me wondering what one had to do with another, when they avidly wove together, it was like seeing the pieces of a patchwork quilt become a whole.
Grace Janssen
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Winona’s style of writing. She take you through the history of White Earth and shows how the past is still with us today.
AimlessLady
This was a really great read. I loved how the characters from the past tied in with the characters of the future. I hope she writes more novels.
Laura (booksnob)
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-press, 2012
With a memorable cast of characters, Last Standing Woman chronicles the history of the people from the White Earth Reservation in Minnesota. The story begins at the borderlands of the Dakota and Anishanaabe with a woman, a woman who was drawn to the border, the Last Standing Woman. The event that occurs is the Dakota Conflict of 1862 in Mankato, Minnesota and it results in the largest mass execution in the U.S. and the removal of the Dakota Indian tribe from Minnesota lands.

Taylor
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book follows generations of Chippewa, or Anishinaabe, people from their first meeting with white people to the present. It really illuminates how people are still people no matter when or what kind. It was fairly heart breaking as it covered many tragic stories and instances, but also made me feel very close to the characters at the same time as the spirits who truly encountered what she wrote about.

One really interesting theme was when she writes about the tornado saying "both the making
Catherine
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Last Standing Woman is a fictional history of the White Earth Idian Reservation in northern Minnesota. Its author, Winona LaDuke is a tribal member and was Ralph Nader's vice-presidential running mate in his bid for the White House. The story spans several generations and is sometimes disjointed in ways that makes it hard to know who it is you're reading about and where they fit into history. There is a geneology that is helpful in sorting this out. That aside, what gives the book value is its a ...more
Ken Yliniemi
This is set in the white earth Indian reservation where I grew up and is the tragic history of Winona LaDuke's family and family history. I did enjoy this one a great deal, but also found the writing a bit poor at times. It all worked well though and in the end was a good read much to the fact it was history where I grew up on the 'rez.
Christina
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Following the trend of much Am. Indian lit, this book spans generations and multiple perspectives. There's much focus on strong Native women, from origin stories to modern activist women.
Gerry
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A history of Native Americans in Wisconsin area, from their own viewpoint -- very interesting reading, and shameful to realize how these people were mistreated, “given” limited reservation areas, and then had even that stolen from them by land-grabbing speculators.
Brian Murphy
Though it took me awhile to become invested, I am very glad that I stuck with the novel through the end. LaDuke defies the typical conventions of a novel and incorporates the land as a integral part of the 5-generation narrative.
Gloria
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a very informative book about the anishinaabe (Ojibwe) people who live primarily on the White Earth reservation in Minnesota. It is fiction, but points to many real life incidents regarding the oppression and destruction of this Native American people.
Jeannie
I never heard this side of Minnesota history before! What a loss.
Lynn
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this account of MN Native American history. Absolutely loved the book. I enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book better than the last quater.
Great Minnesota read.
Ann Tracy
started out strong, but got slow half way in. liked how it was all set in my homestate of mn, but i couldn't go on.
jeanie
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read.

I do not know as much about Native American history and culture as I'd like. I enjoyed reading the stories of the people of White Earth.
katie raitz
  • Waterlily
  • Every Day Is a Good Day: Reflections by Contemporary Indigenous Women
  • The Summer of Black Widows
  • A Map to the Next World: Poems and Tales
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Night Flying Woman: An Ojibway Narrative
  • Native Americans and the Christian Right: The Gendered Politics of Unlikely Alliances
  • Books and Islands in Ojibwe Country
  • The Way to Rainy Mountain
  • Wisdom of the Elders: Sacred Native Stories of Nature
  • The Hiawatha
  • Walking with Grandfather
  • Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith
  • Walking the Rez Road
  • Crow Dog: Four Generations of Sioux Medicine Men
Winona LaDuke is an Anishinaabe Native American activist, environmentalist, economist and writer. She ran for vice president of the United States Green Party in the 1996 and 2000 Presidential elections. She is currently the Executive Director of Honor the Earth and the White Earth Land Recovery Project. She has authored the following books: Last Standing Woman (1997), All our Relations: Native Str ...more
More about Winona LaDuke...
“.. both the making and the unmaking were essential parts of life & necessary to keep the balance.” 5 likes
“By snowshoe, canoe, or dog team, they moved through those woods, rivers, and lakes. It was not a life circumscribed by a clock, stamp, fence, or road.” 4 likes