Start by marking “The Virgin's Secret (Harrington Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Virgin's Secret (Harrington Brothers, #1)

The Virgin's Secret (Lost City #2)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  866 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Even the least sensible woman knew, upon meeting his gaze, that here was a man who was more than he might at first appear, who might steal the heart of even the most resistant woman. But oh, what a lovely theft!

Adventurer Nathanial Harrington would never steal another man's discovery. And he'd never be so dishonorable as to tempt an untouched woman into his bed . . . eve

Paperback, Kennebec Large Print Superior Colletion, 503 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Large Print Press (first published April 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Virgin's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Virgin's Secret

Jul 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Victoria Alexander's books, her books are usually a smart, sophisticated historical romance. So I was really disappointed that "The Virgin's Secret" was so slow. I felt like way more time was devoted to the mystery of the Montini Seal than was given to developing the romance.

Gabriella Montini's half brother was killed trying to find whoever stole the ancient seal that could have been the high point of his career. Gabriella vowed to find the seal to retore his name in the antiq
I must confess: I am not a huge fan of archeological/adventure-type stories in my Regency/Victorian romances. Spies, yes. Treasure hunting and made-up countries/myths/legends/treasures, no. Still, aside from that, a relatively good story. (Although, it is part of a series, I believe I have guessed the "real" villains, to be revealed in the third installment. *sigh* I shall have to suffer more treasure-hunting, but I do enjoy the brother Quinton Harrington so I get to read his story, at least.)

Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of reading The Virgin's Secret after the sequel, Desires of a Perfect Lady, but was absolutely gripped by it from the beginning. The plot of the antiquity hunt weaves beautifully with the love story and the characters are really intriguing - intelligent, attractive, beautiful AND sympathetic. The story is also well-written, and the continuity between this and the sequel is solid - if you read either book, you'll enjoy them, either separately or as a series. I absolutely can't ...more
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So this was my book from last year's Dirty Santa exchange. I have to say, pretty boring, for a romance. It all focused around Gabriella's quest to restore her brothers good name over a stolen artifact, and one of the suspects of its theft takes her in and helps her recover it. Of course they fall in love, but that happens barely halfway through, and the rest is about the artifact and finding Gabriella's family, blah, blah.
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a Victoria Alexander novel in so long, that when I saw this book, I had to pick it up. And was a very good read.

Gabriella Montini's brother, Enrico Montini, had a seal that he discovered during one of his adventures, but it was stolen before he died, and Gabriella decided that it was up to her to find it and present it to this society. But after breaking in the Harrington manor, after Lady Regina's coming out ball, that she found herself working with Nathanial Harri
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading The Perfect Wife and this book is the great grandchildren from that story. The Harrington's.

Nathaniel Harrington and his brothers were close in age and friendships. As children they played as all types of adventurers, pirates or like their great grandmother, smugglers.

They grew up and Sterling became the Earl of Wyldewood. Quint and Nate went on adventures. Finding artifacts and for Nathaniel, mostly covering up for Quint.

At their sisters coming out ball Nathaniel notices
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-challenge
I had read the second in this series before this book and had to pick this one up! I am so glad I did! Nathanial, one of the Harrington Brothers, LOVES history and finding it. When his path crosses Gabriella, Nathanials honor can't let her go on her quest with out his help and protection. While they try to prove Gabriella's brother had a seal and that it was stolen, they discover their true feelings for each other. I loved the twists in the plot, the pace was perfect and made the story even more ...more
BJ Rose
Disappointing! A weak 3* - I expected to really enjoy the antiquities aspect, but this time it didn't work for me. The death of Gabrielle's half-brother became the story, and the non-resolution of that will be the reason I continue with the next book, which I hope is better than this one.
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun as always
Gabriella Montini does not trust Nathanial Harrington. Son of an Earl, Nathanial's family might be the ones who stole her brother's archaeological find and ruined his reputation. On a quest to find out the true saboteur Gabriella has to decide just how far she is willing to go.

Overall interesting story. I liked how Nathaniel was not afraid of Gabriella's intelligence and applauded her for it.
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
The Virgin's Secret is the first book of the new Victoria Alexander series, Harrington Siblings. Imagine Indiana Jones in the late 19th century, and you have the Harrington brothers: Sterling, Quintin and Nathanial.

The book has the usual Victoria Alexander humour and fast pace. But it also has likable characters. I enjoyed both Gabriella and Nathanial, they both unconventional to the times. They were attracted to each other since the first moment the met, but they fought their feelings. Each wit
Given the time period and the lack of rights for women I realize that the respect my heroine is going to get will be minimal. But it was REALLY hard to swallow in this book. Gabriella has so much potential, and it's painful to see her have to throw it all away. I hated how she was left in the end - even if she did get the guy, none of her life long dreams come true, and he's not helping her to realize them.

What I really wanted Gabriella to do is say, to hell with all of you, and take her piles o
Julie Eichelberger-Ford
Victoria Alexander has a talent for incorporating intrigue, murder and witty repartee to create a love story that will have you laughing, crying and cringing all in the space of a few pages. This is the story of a lost city and artifacts leading to it's location. Gabriella is trying to locate an artifact that her brother had found and lost, in order to save is reputation now that he is dead. Nathaniel is one of the suspects thought to have stolen it. They team up together to find the cylinder an ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Nate and Gabriella are perfect for one another, same interests, same temperment, and same stubboirness and fire, but it takes them both some time to realize it. She is trying to finish her late brother's work and he is going to help her do it and protect her from harm all the while. The where-abouts of the lost seal are discovered, a murder is committed, a family is found, and love blooms. Good read!!
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading this book, I couldn't help thinking that the story just couldn't pick which genre it was in. I would have liked the story a lot more if it either fleshed out the romance more, or fleshed out the adventure/mystery more. I just wanted more.
However, I really enjoyed the dialogue in the story - well done!
I can't bring myself to finish this. There's so many books to read. Decided not to waste my time on this.

Heroine is rather annoying. Too thick headed and whiny. Very negative about everything. Criticism everything hero do. Always snapping at him.

I'm bored.. So.. I decide to just start a new book. Next book.. Please be good...
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took place in the late 1800's and I didn't feel that the language was from that period so that distracted from the book for me. The story was a good one, but the editing was poorly done as well.
I'm afraid I have to agree with some of the other reviewers of this book. I stopped reading at page 75. It moved too slow for me. That is Unfortunate because it sounded like a really good idea for a book. I'll try another of this author's books in the hope that it will be better.
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I'm having a somewhat difficult time getting through this book because the first few chapters move along slowly compared to some other books I've read recently. I think this is presence of mind more than the author's writing because I've felt this way about the last three books I've picked up.
Alisha Kennedy
I have just, in my late twenties, began to read romance novels. I have only read a few so far including this one. This was a good book, do not judge it by the title, it was a great love story with a touch of dramatic treasure hunting.
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised that this was a step away from what I have come to expect from Victoria Alexander's writing, but I really enjoyed it. It was chock full of mystery, some suspense, and of course some sparks. All in all a good read.
Deborah Sullivan
Too much talk, not enough action. The action, if you could call it that, was mostly conversation. And not sparkling conversation. Glad I read the second one first, or I'd have never moved on with the series.
Jessica Lauryn
My favorite scene in this story was the prologue. I loved the connection between the brothers, and I am curious as to how things will play themselves out for Quint and Sterling in the other books of the series. Kudos to Victoria Alexander for crafting a dynamic set of characters!
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nathaniel was a likeable hero and I enjoyed the story basically because of him. The whole story about the lost city and treasure was a bit confusing. I'd like to see the h/h actually go out on a dig. Hopefully some of the unanswered questions will be answered in the next book.
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nathaniel and Gabriella - very boring, couldn't finish it.
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining book but forgettable! In fact I forgot it right after I read it!
A pretty good start to what looks like a historical romance series involving a gaggle of brothers in London.
Dec 28, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 02:21PM
  • How I Met My Countess (Bachelor Chronicles, #6)
  • A Husband's Wicked Ways (Cavendish Square, #3)
  • Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2)
  • In Bed with the Duke (Governess Brides, #9)
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club, #2)
  • The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmaker #3)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • The Devilish Montague (Rebellious Sons, #2)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highland, #2)
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)
  • Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...

Lost City (3 books)
  • The Perfect Wife (Lost City, #1)
  • Desires of a Perfect Lady (Lost City #3)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)