Start by marking “Ella Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair” as Want to Read:
Ella Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair

Ella Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair

Ella Kazoo would rather do anything than brush her hair, especially when she could be skipping in the rain and dancing in the sunshine instead. As her hair grows from bad to worse, soon it's out of control! Something must be done to tame her wild locks, and although it's no easy task, Ella and her mother find a solution that makes them both happy. Riotously demonstrating t ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Walker Childrens (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ella Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ella Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair

Start your review of Ella Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair
Suzanne
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-author, aww, indy
Ella is a fiery lil gal with fiery red hair who will not cut her hair. Indy said it was lame, but it was a cute enough rhyming story. Her crazy hair grew everywhere and poor mum was in a state of despair! 10.30 at night cheeky Indy boy, lucky to be awake at all.
Heidi-Marie
You can't imagine how much I like this book unless you had unruly, messy, tangly-strangly hair as a child and you were in extreme PAIN every time it was brushed. If only I could have said "No!" Then again, I like to see the progression of what happens when the hair isn't brushed. And the resolution was rather fun, too. So glad it wasn't mine, though! I love my hair too much for that! I am also happy to say that I have been brush-free for over 5 years now. How? Oh. I've learned the secrets.

6/25/1
Nola
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
3.5 stars. Ella Kazoo refuses to brush her hair even though it gets tangled and frizzy. When it runs amok and starts overtaking the house, will she finally give in to the requests of her longsuffering mother?

Good rhyming text and fun illustrations, though Ella was a little too bratty for me.
SamZ
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was just too cutesy and didn't actually address the real reasons why a kid needs to use basic hygiene and take care of themselves and their bodies!
*I speak from a personal maternal frustration with a daughter who also won't brush her hair and the worry I have now that she is getting older and other kids can be mean.
Emma
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-2015
My son has beautiful auburn curls. Seriously, they are gorgeous. But as curls will, his hair gets frizzy and rat-nesty and plain old CRAZY. So we fight and we cry and we beg and we bribe to get the washing and brushing and doing done.

Naturally I thought this would be a great story for him. I was wrong. It started off so adorable and relatable. AND THEN. SPOILER ALERT. The solution? The stupid mom takes Ella to get all her beautiful hair lopped off.

Um. No. You damn quitters. May as well have ende
Loren
Jun 29, 2010 rated it liked it
One of my "goodreads friends" reviewed this book which meant I had to read it. I love the topic for Erin hates to brush her hair hence the "posh" bob hair style which works so well for us. I liked the illustrations although I thought they went a bit over the top (which is the point of the book). The ending was a surprise and Erin found it very funny. A cute read for preschoolers could be a bit disturbing for wee ones.
J
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great for reading to a group of elementary school-aged kids. All of them paid close attention, and one of the girls was randomly excited about the fact that it rhymes.
Kaitlyn
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute story about a little girl who doesn't want to have her curly hair brushed.
Heather
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m glad I found this book! My daughter *hates* having her hair brushed, and this is the perfect cautionary tale. Thank you, Lee Fox.
Miri
Oct 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was suspicious of this book as soon as I read the title and saw that the girl on the cover had curly hair. My suspicions were confirmed. In the first place, little girls with curly hair shouldn't brush it, so that's probably the mom's fault in the first place for trying to force her. And I was not at all amused to see that Ella's friends—who are all neat and tidy, wearing princess dresses and looking at Ella's "messy" hair with disgust—of course they have straight hair. I spent 25 years hating ...more
Maria Burel
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We LOVED this lyrical story of a young girl who simply WILL NOT brush her hair. Her mother pleads, threatens,and finally gives up, but Ella Kazoo is one determined little girl. UNTIL the day her hair interferes with her own play.

Ella Kazoo so exemplifies the stubborn nature of young children. Parents will nod in understanding, while children will laugh at Ella's antics.
Kate McCartney
Ella hates to have her hair tended to, so she avoids to the point of her hair having a life of it's own. There have been several books of late dealing with unruly hair. This is a cute attempt. It has a fun rhyming text that at times has to try to hard to accomplish it's goal. Overall though I liked it, this book makes for a fun read.
Tessa
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
If you have a little girl who refuses to brush her hair, this would be a good book to read with her - especially if she doesn't want to cut her hair either. We got it because we have a daughter named Ella but she spent the whole books saying, "I would never do that!" and "That little girl should mind her mommy!"
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a number of books about unruly hair out there, and I have not read them all. I did like this one, because it reminded me of my childhood. My mother said when I was very young I never wanted to sit still to have my hair brushed, so she always kept my hair short. This sort of had a Sarah Sylvia Cynthia Stout will not take the garbage out feel, not as good, but similar.
Marie
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Delightfully funny story of a little girl who won't brush her hair. A hilarious cautionary tale! The rhythm and rhyme are seamless. This appears to be a newly illustrated version of the story. Not having seen the other, I can't compare but I think these illustrations do the rhyme justice, especially her expanding and outrageous hair.
Yolanda
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reader, 2011
I. Loved. This. Book.

How can I not? It's about a little girl who really doesn't want to get her hair brushed. How many women out there remember their Mother trying to brush your hair and it just hurting and you just want it to stop? Yeah. That's this book right here. Loved it!
Délice
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
As a mama who has Sensory Processing Disorder, and had this same battle with my mother as a child, this book was refreshing. It validated the child's feelings and modeled a respectful, mutually satisfying solution to a common struggle.
Melissa
Brush your Hair
Brush your hair every day, give yourself a treat.
Part it, braid it, brush it back, but always keep it neat. Brush it once, brush it twice, keep it nice and clean. Brush and brush the tangles out, and see the lovely sheen
The Library Lady
Feb 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
That haircut would NOT tame curls like Ella's--being the curly haired mother of 2 curly haired daughters, I can tell you that as a fact. Though if it would, please give me the name of Ella's beautician!
Melissa Dwyer
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally rated G+ by Jody Smith
I read this book to my Kindergarteners. They loved it. They thought it silly, crazy, and fun. We voted and the majority said yes they would check this book out. The story is written in rhyme and has a good read aloud beat to it.
Kaye
Ella Kazoo hates to have her hair brushed, and she refuses until finally, her hair nearly grows her and her mother out of their house. Eventually, Ella gets a hair cut, and life simplifies considerably.
Julie Grasso
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We just love this book. The rhyme is so entertaining and the illustrations are vibrant. A great read aloud, we would recommend for ages 3-6. My almost three year old asks for this over and over and we never deny it as we all enjoy this book.
Jaime
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
My daughter Ella loves this book & I enjoy reading it to her! ...more
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Curly haired girls will love Ella Kazoo! I do wonder, however, how these same girls will feel about Ella's haircut at the end of the story. Recommended for K - 2.
Alex
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Story of my life :-).
Sara
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, hair
Rhyming, funny, perfect amount of language for preschool.
Christine Turner
A little girl refuses to brush her hair until it becomes so unruly that it takes over everything.

Subjects

Hair -- Juvenile fiction

Stories in rhyme
Maxine
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Evie favourite book at the moment
Kim
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, funny, hair
Ella Kazoo refuses to brush her hair until slowly it takes over her life.
Kansas

• Maudie and Bear
  • Very Little Red Riding Hood
  • Between Tick and Tock
  • Dilly Dally Daisy
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • What Light Can Do: Essays on Art, Imagination, and the Natural World