Start by marking “Freight Train” as Want to Read:

Freight Train

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  13,796 Ratings  ·  468 Reviews
Ships from USA. Will take 25-35 days
Board book, 26 pages
Published September 20th 1996 by Greenwillow Books (first published October 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Freight Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freight Train

Jamie
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A fun book for really young children (3 or under). Very simple, no real plot but lots of fun sound effects you can make and very colorful illustrations of the train. can be used as a way of color recognition. even the younger children seemed bored of this one fairly quickly. 2.5 stars.
midnightfaerie
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A wonderful book about trains that I'm glad I picked up. A Caldecott Honor book, it is one of our favorite train books we've read. Bright colorful train cars kept my preschoolers riveted, as well as the different scenery, such as the bridges and tunnels the trains go through. Also, a nice and unusual touch were the pages with the train moving. The illustrations showed the cars as blurred so it looked like a big rainbow moving along. My twins loved that. We just picked it up from the library, and ...more
Julie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute book!
Heidi-Marie
Well, the colors are vibrant in the book. And it's a good way to teach the scale (whatever it's called). Very simple. Could be used with beginning readers. Especially for the car/train lovers out there.

3/24/11 This was wonderful! I wanted to have a book focusing on colors. So I thought how to do this and came up with a brilliant (so say I) idea! I cut rectangles out of construction paper using colors represented in the book. I taped them up around the room. Then I cut out wheels in the colors--t
Karen
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My son told me a story about a train book that he was reading to a dinosaur that turned into a robot. Freight Train was the train book. Our copy is an English/Spanish edition. I bought this edition because the text is so simple it seemed a great way to introduce my son to a language besides English. I've done this with a couple of other books (e.g., Goodnight Moon), and it's been pretty successful.

Freight Train does have very simple text. The text is also large and easy-to-read. My son can't yet
Patrick
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
This book would be a great book to use for pre K-first or second grade. For younger kids it is an excellent tool to use to teach colors to the children. A teacher could read the book, and ask the children to name the colors of the different parts of the train. After reading the book the children could then paint pieces to their own freight train. For Kindergarten to First grade this book could be used to introduce the parts of a train. Before reading the book the teacher could ask the students ...more
Emily Holter
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Freight Train is a perfect book to learn about transportation and trains. This book is for the younger readers, most likely preschoolers and kindergarteners. The book does not contain many words, but it is knowledgeable, as for it teaches the children all about the different parts of the freight train and the colors that it associates with. For instance, the illustrations show a “purple box car”.

Children will have a great time naming all the parts of the trains and calling out the right colors.
Samantha
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Freight Train" begins by introducing each part of a train through different color variations (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, and Black). Once all the pieces have been introduced, the reader takes a journey through several locations where the train is passing through. Each page contains no more than five words, making it a great source for beginners. The conclusion leaves the mind to wonder and imagine where the train has gone next...

The simplicity of the text is matched with the stri
Dolly
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
This is a fun book about trains that also teaches children about colors. The simple narrative and illustrations are sure to entertain little ones and this is a great book to introduce to toddlers and preschoolers. I won't be reading this one with our girls since they've grown out of books like this, but I liked it.
Daniel Zielske
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is for the younger kids and was a favorite when my son was younger. Very simple is the tale of a train, the colors of the cars and the movement of the train, but the illustrations are stunning. Graphically cool.
Katie Scherrer
Good for toddlers, but a little boring for bilingual older kids. This book does work well for introducing colors to non-bilingual children. Make it more fun by wearing a conductor's cap and bringing a train whistle!
Agne
I LOVE the illustrations of the moving freight train!
Sonia
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tutoring-books
preschool book that doesn't really have much to read about.
Kate
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
I love the art style of this book and my little dude absolutely adores the content. He is obsessed with trains right now and loves to read along with me.
Lynne Marie
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great book for learning colors and loving freight trains.
Rachel M
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Simple text and illustrations. cute.
Gretchen
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Freight Train" by Donald Crews is a Caldecott Honor Book, and Donald Crews is also the 2015 winner of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award. This colorful book reviews colors and parts of a train, available in English and Spanish. At the beginning of the text the color of the part of the train is matched to the color of the text. When the train begins to move, the colors of the train begin to blend. The train becomes a rainbow blur as it increases in speed and travels through tunnels, past cities, cro ...more
Becky
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017reviews
First sentence: A train runs across this track. Red caboose at the back. Orange tank car next. Yellow hopper car.

Premise/plot: Freight Train is a concept book teaching colors, a train-themed concept book teaching colors. It received a Caldecott Honor in 1979, I believe. If I had to guess the most memorized picture book ever, I bet it would be Freight Train or Goodnight Moon. What do you think it would be?

My thoughts: What's not to love about this children's classic? It wasn't the first train b
Nadine Willis
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I labeled this book, Freight Train, in the Informational Text: Early Concept genre. It is a simple book, full of bold words and energetic illustrations full of bright colors featuring a childhood favorite, a train. After reading this book, a child will feel as if they've seen a freight train in real life - even if they haven't.
Lisa
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: felix
My toddler has liked other Donald Crews books more than me, but we both like this one a lot. The straightforward train text is great (others talk about the text being simple, but am I the only adult who learned train vocabulary through this book??), and I love the pairing of a rainbow of colors with black and gray.
Christa
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this one. Great colors and illustrations, simple but compelling text, and lots of simple, neat ideas for kids to latch on to (colors, light, ways of representing movement, place, object permanence, trains, what they do, and how they work).
Sarah Clark
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a beautiful simplicity in the text and illustration of this book. Color, moment, and some more specific train language all come together without any unnecessary adornment. I love the ending, "going, going...gone." Really beautiful and my 1.5-year-old daughter is mesmerized too.
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Learn your colors (and types of train cars) with Freight Train. I *love* the picture of the train moving with the colors stretched and swooshy.

This has very few words, so it's a great book for a little kid who wants to turn the pages often.
Mrs. Miriam
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The simple patterned text and bright pictures make this a perfect book to read to young children. When my children were small, we all knew the book by heart. Each time we stopped our car to wait for a train, we would recite this book as a family.
Victoria Y.
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs642
This picture book is intended for beginning readers and shows examples of main primary colors by text and illustrations. This book explains what a freight train does, where it goes, and what it may look like. This would be a great book to help explain scientific mechanisms like wheels.
Tracy
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, kiddo
Eh. Whatever.
Liz Zimmer
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly beautiful, elegantly built, and simple book.
Beyondthebookends
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bright colors and big pictures make this book perfect for little readers as they learn their colors. Hop on board.

www.beyondthebookends.com
Kristen-Marie Freeman
Un libro básico, pero clásico con ilustraciones claras y atractivas. Ideal para preescolares. Y me enseño la palabra 'trestle' (puente de andamio). ;)
Ann
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Nice illustrations and some good train terminology.
CSULB 545 Class 1: Seminal Classic - children's 1 5 Feb 08, 2014 06:21AM
1/2 Children's Picture Book 1 4 Feb 02, 2014 08:00AM
MCC Children's Li...: Freight Train - Challice 3 3 Mar 03, 2012 03:00PM
  • Ten, Nine, Eight
  • Lemons Are Not Red (Ala Notable Book(Awards)) (Neal Porter Books)
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo