Start by marking “Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)” as Want to Read:
Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)

Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  4,644 Ratings  ·  272 Reviews
A Devilish Duke on a Quest for Pleasure...

Frannie Darling was once a child of London's roughest streets, surrounded by petty thieves, pickpockets, and worse. But though she survived this harsh upbringing to become a woman of incomparable beauty, Frannie wants nothing to do with the men who lust for her, the rogues who frequent the gaming hall where she works. She can take
Published June 30th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender to the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender to the Devil

Mo
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

To bed her but not wed her. That's what Sterling Mabry, the eighth Duke of Greystone, wants.

Honestly, I didn't think I would like this one as much as I did. We met the Hero in a previous book and I just did not like his attitude at all! Pompous ass! But, did he win my heart over? He sure did.

“He wanted to change her past, but even as he thought it, he realized it was her very past that had shaped her into a woman who fascinated him.”

He saw Frannie and he wanted her. And as a Duke, he usu
Beatriz
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popsugar-2017
Reto #32 PopSugar 2017: Un libro acerca de una mujer interesante
La historia de Frannie y Sterling es preciosa, aunque en mi caso necesité de una segunda lectura apenas terminado para poder saborearla mejor. La primera vez lo leí muy rápido y lo que nace entre ellos me resultó muy precipitado y poco creíble, sin embargo, cuando lo leí de nuevo, después de conocer todos los miedos y esperanzas de ambos personajes, todo me cuajó mucho mejor.

Como en el resto de los libros que he leído de la serie,
Sarah MacLean
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
I am in love with Feagan's lads...every single one of them. And I'll confess, I'd hoped that Frannie would end up with Jim...or the lovely Bill, who I've lusted after since the beginning of the series...but I'm so very happy that she's landed herself a duke. so. very. happy.

Now, Lorraine, I know you're writing Jim next...but please please please tell me that Bill is going to have the best love story of all time. Because he so deserves it.
Beanbag Love
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*lies prone on the floor in breathless rapture*

Okay, that's a little over the top. But this is a very romantic book, so it seems fitting.

This is the third installment of Heath's "Scoundrels of St. James" series and it's chock full of romancy goodness.

To be honest, though, I wasn't sure I was going to get into it. Our hero, Sterling (he appeared briefly in the first book, "In Bed with the Devil"), comes off as a real jerk. He was introduced in the earlier book as a bit of a stiff and continues t
Juliana Philippa
One of the best historical romances I've read this year!!

Surrender to the Devil is the third book in Lorraine Heath's The Scoundrels of St. James series (and overlaps time-wise with the second book, Between the Devil and Desire). I wasn't sure that I was going to like it and IMO the summary written for the book doesn't do it justice: Frannie and Sterling are so much more complicated than the lust-driven characters they are described as!

I ended up *loving* this book and definitely recommend it
Lisa Kay
Weeping Willow Tree, painting by artist Karen Margulis
[image error]

★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel about Susan Ericksen reading another book to me except one of the In Death series by Nora Roberts. However, once I let go of that, I really enjoyed her narration. Her diction is perfect and, as an amateur linguist, she can pull off both men’s and women’s voices smoothly. She has a delightful way of delivering children’s voices, too.  Nevertheless, th
Mei
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Like in the previous one, I didn't like the hero at the beginning!

To be honest I didn't like him in "In Bed with the Devil". He returned to claim his title from the his wanderings and pretended his that sister obey him like a dog! Ohhhh... I wanted to slap him then!

Here he's the same jerk. He sees Frannie and he wants her. Just like she were a piece of furniture! My hands were itching, let me tell you!

On the other hand I adored Frannie since we met her i the first book! She's such a sweet perso
Pikolina
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha encantado.
Frannie me ha gustado muchísimo como protagonista, y Sterling, aún más.
Por fin se ha descubierto quien es el padre de Frannie y me ha parecido genial poder saber lo que sucede en la vida de ambos hasta que se hacen mayores gracias al diario de Frannie.
Recomendable 100%

Me apetece mucho leer la historia de Jim.
Alba Turunen
Y sigo con mi racha de 5 estrellitas. Será porque he tenido la suerte de leer durante éste mes unos libros estupendos, o porque realmente me han llegado a lo más hondo. Pero lo cierto sobre "Enamorarse del diablo" es que me ha encantado. Ha sido un libro precioso de principio a fin, sin que en ningún momento decaiga la acción o la historia.

Creo que la editorial se merece un pequeño aplauso por haber dado ése paso final que debió haber dado hace cuatro años cuando empezó a publicar la serie, y de
Nuria Llop
En la línea de calidad de las dos entregas anteriores en cuanto a estilo narrativo, pero con unos protagonistas un poco menos potentes y un conflicto amoroso típico (diferencia de clases) que solo adquiere interés por la trama de misterio que lo rodea. Este es el punto fuerte de la novela, pero no empieza a surgir realmente hasta la mitad, por lo que los primeros capítulos me han parecido un poco sosos (comparados con las entregas anteriores, por supuesto! Buenos, sí son.) La segunda mitad engan ...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Stars

I've been contemplating writing a review on this book for a while now and I just keep postponing it. So it's become quite obvious to me that I won't be writing one, at least not until I re-read it.

I'll just say that Frannie proved to be way more interesting than I thought she would and that this book was my favorite in the series so far.

BR with Aly.

(Well almost... I may have been a bit late on this one. I blame the TV Shows.)
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

The first time we meet Sterling Mabry, the eighth Duke of Greystone, is when he returns home and finds his sister with Luke Claybourne. He seems pompous, prejudiced and overall not very pleasant person. Don't worry, he will win you over.
You don't get the truth about him and the reason he argued with his father right away. You know he has some kind of problem but it could have been anything. The author used something you can't scoff at as something unrealistic because you understand why he wo
Vanesa Rodríguez
Las lecturas adictivas son un mal para el que mi insomnio debería estar vacunada. Sin embargo, he vuelto a caer pero no me arrepiento. La historia de Frannie ha sido tan dulce, tierna..., y Sterling tan obcecado y generoso. Al final se ha convertido en mi novela favorita de esta serie.
Ilze
Sep 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I really dislike novels where the opening scene describes the main characters only as falling instantly in lust with one another (with the attendant physical symptoms), like this one does. OK, I should qualify that - I really dislike novels with a boring opening scene where the only thing that happens is the main characters' falling instantly in lust with one another.

I also disliked the behaviour of Frannie's "protectors", who basically act like gangsters, beating up the hero in his own house du
Sombra
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 estrellas

Esta serie solo mejora cada vez más a medida que voy leyendo a sus protagonistas.

En esta ocasión nos encontramos con la historia de Frannie; la única chica del grupo de huérfanos y que ya vislumbramos un poco más de ella en los libros anteriores, y Sterling, el hermano de Catherine, la mujer de Luke, quien fue el protagonista del primer libro.

Reconozco que al principio del libro la relación de ellos pensé que no me iba a gustar debido a la rapidez en que ambos se desearon y babearon
Chumchum_88
I'm starting to develop a crush Ms. Heath, this series is amazing, at first I didn't realize that it's a sort of parody of Oliver Twist but now I confirmed my doubts and I really think it's amazingly nice

- I have to admit in here I didn't fall in love with any of the characters but I liked them well enough, it's just some of the ideas that are included in this book were the ones I loved.

- Since book one I really didn't like the Duke, and in the beginning of the book he didn't help, being all sno
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: April 2013
The whole book was sigh-worthy.

The book talking :D

Me after finishing the book.

2nd read: August 2014
Buddy read with Jo
The epilogue managed to make me cry again...
steph
I hated this you guys. Ohmygod, except for a few instances I hated this book so much.

(view spoiler)
Pepa
No sé si en mi valoración general ha tenido mucho peso el hecho de leerlo en inglés. Ya he comentado que me cuesta mucho y eso, supongo, que se nota
La historia me ha parecido menos original que las dos entregas anteriores. Aún así, Frannie me ha gustado mucho, un personaje valiente, superviviente que no vive en el pasado y tan, tan dulce. Su corazón no cabe en el libro
Sterling y yo no empezamos con buen pie, lo conocemos en la primera entrega y su actitud no me cuajó, pero la autora ha sabido da
Blair
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I think about this book

Maria_Love_For_Books
Reread and loved it again!
Nanci **Warning**IWasASailor⚓️MyMouthisDirty
This book was better than 1. I loved Frannie and Sterling's story, it was beautiful and the epilogue was the best. Totally cried.
sraxe
Well that was disappointing.

This book felt so messy and weak. Over half, maybe even three-fourths, felt like filler to me. From the minute they meet, they're already in lust with one another; we know this about the both of them because we're given both of their POVs for the same scene. For the record, it made me think less of Frannie when she continued to lust for Sterling after he insulted her and her friends. I know I wouldn't continue to swoon over a man after he insulted and dismissed not ju
Liv
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are less than a handful of book series that have been emotionally compelling and have made an indelible mark upon my heart…..and even though this is the 1st book in the series that I have read, I know (in my gut) that this will be counted among those I treasure.

The romance between Frannie Darling and Sterling Mabry, the eighth Duke of Greystone reeled me in right away, and it all has to do with the way this book is written….it's beautifully written. The writing is quite powerful. Heath use
Lover of Romance
Frannie Darling, having grown up on the streets with the Feagan boys, she stays away from men after a terrible incident that caused them all grief. Now she does the books for the Gentleman's club, she is also taking children off of the streets and placing them in a safe environment, most of them working for a devil of a man Sykes, who is ruthless with those that defy him. Knowing what these children have to go through, she builds a home for these children, where they have food, a roof over their ...more
nick
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite in the series so far!
Yolanda
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
precioso y eso que la traducción era m... m....
me han encantado los 3 libros de la saga!!!
Nani
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mini-club-abril
Antes de empezar mis "desvarios varios" sobre este libro, comentar que no he tardado tanto tiempo en leerlo, simplemente lo aplace para seguir el ritmo de mis compañeras lectoras, en este pequeño miniclub de abril.

Me ha encantado, mucho los dos personajes. Me ha parecido tan reales, tan sinceros el uno con el otro (bueno no del todo, pero es de entender).

Frannie, es un cielo de mujer. Con un pasado lleno de dolor y extremamente traumático, siempre es de esperar, que el personaje sufra y sea un p
Seffra
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5-3 stars

Oh well, this book was NOT even close to the first two and I couldn't believe it. It had all the ingredients to be a fantastic book but they didn't mix well enough for my taste. There were certain things that Heath could have done but decided not to work with but then did other things and it didn't compliment the characters or the story.

Sterling.... oh man....for the number of times he said he changed from the self-entitled aristocrat to a selfless being...I didn't see it. He was sel
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • Lord of Ice (Knight Miscellany, #3)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • At the Duke's Pleasure (The Byrons of Braebourne, #3)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • To Love a Thief
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Sins of a Wicked Duke (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #1)
  • Private Arrangements
  • Something Scandalous (The Spinster Club, #3)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin
More about Lorraine Heath...

Scoundrels of St. James (5 books)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)
  • The Last Wicked Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #5)
“Life is a journey, Frannie darling," Feagan had once told me. "Choose well those with whom you travel."
As always, I've followed Feagan's counsel.”
69 likes
“It’s difficult when you love someone whom you know on some level is wicked.” 16 likes