Start by marking “Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces) (Sherlock Holmes)” as Want to Read:

Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces)

(Sherlock Holmes)

A collection of 19 of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short stories.
Leather Bound, 483 pages
Published 1987 by Franklin Library (first published November 1st 1986)

Be the first to ask a question about Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces)

Start your review of Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces) (Sherlock Holmes)
Lola
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like many, I am an avid fan of the new Sherlock Holmes movie. Robert Downey Jr. was engaging and dynamic a our favorite eccentric detective, and Jude Laws was charming as Dr. Watson. I can just watch those movies over and over again. I didn't think the stories would be the same. They are.

Sherlock Holmes had earned a bad reputation over the years as being stodgy and logical, a detective that simply solves problems. In reality, the original text is witty, descriptive, and at times suspenseful. Y
Dr.J.G.
A favourite of most people when it comes to detective stories, actually the writer immortalised his medical teacher in his methods of detecting decease from symptoms and observations.

Hound of Baskerville is the most favourite generally, and most people swear by The Hound of Baskerville, to which I prefer The Speckled Band, and the last one for its descriptions of Swiss landscape.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008.
.............................................

Of course Return of Sherlock Homes is even
Zoe
As a fan of the BBC show "Sherlock" I wanted to get more into the world and go back to the original stories where my beloved character originated from. Typically I will not watch a movie or show if I have not read the book first. This was one of the rare expectations, so when I finally did get a copy of some of the cases of Sherlock Holmes I was eager to read them. I found that the show did a great job of capturing the essence of Holmes and Watson from the book and putting them into modern day. ...more
Christy
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
In light of all the recent interpretations of Holmes & Watson, I thought it would be a good idea to go back to the original. It was definitely worthwhile, and made for a very interesting read. It was also interesting to see how many repeated themes appear throughout the various interpretations, which may not have been as prominent in Doyle's actual works.

On a side note, it was interesting to learn that in some ways, Wilson's character on House was based on Watson, and House himself on Holmes.
Sally
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this collection! I think after watching so many movies (new and old), I'd come to know Sherlock and Watson quite well. Well, I know them even better now, and I'm eager to read some more. Astounding feats of deduction - those will never come from my brain, but it's fun to read about them.
Kristen Weller
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am fascinated by the character Sherlock Holmes. Kudos to Arthur Conan Doyle to be able to create such a person! These cases make you want to be more observant of the world around you, which is hard for me- especially because I can't even remember what I was wearing yesterday! A fun exercise for the mind...
Beth
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Checked out of the library a couple different times to finish. Interesting stories, but fairly dense. Not a quick read, but worth it.
Valerie Curtis
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is a wonderful book! Great short stories with a bonus of maps (of where the mysteries were) and a layout of Holmes' home at 221B.

This was my first reading of Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed it! A few of the mysteries were really far fetched, but still very readable! Sherlock is not the nicest guy around, but he certainly has great abilities of reasoning and protecting himself.
Stefanie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, classics
This is one of the best collections of Sherlock Holmes mysteries, it includes a lot of the most intriguing stories. Some of them were not to my liking, like the Blue Carbuncle one, I didn't care for it too much, and some I loved, like Silver Blaze. These stories are fun and entertaining and surprisingly easy to follow! Great read!
Erica
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This isn't the exact copy that I read. I held onto my copy for years the finally got around to reading it when I was sick in bed for several days. It was the highlight of each day. I have yet to read the novels.
Bonnie
Nov 24, 2014
Chris Laskey
Nov 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Bad Girls Don't Die (Bad Girls Don't Die, #1)
  • All Fall Down (Embassy Row, #1)
  • The Possibility of Now
  • Peace, Locomotion
  • The Silence of Our Friends
  • Pictures in the Dark
  • Abe Lincoln Grows Up
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
  • All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
  • Necropolis (The Gatekeepers, #4)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is u

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)