Start by marking “The Myth of Alzheimer's: What You Aren't Being Told About Today's Most Dreaded Diagnosis” as Want to Read:

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This is a call to arms to re-evaluate the way we think about and deal with Alzheimers disease.
Audio, 7 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of Alzheimer's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of Alzheimer's

Matthew Gatheringwater
Apr 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caregiving
This is a dangerous and evil book.

Whitehouse starts with a premise that is supported by facts: Alzehimer's and dementia are terms of art rather than precise medical conditions, and what we label disease is often a product of cultural expectations of aging. So far, so good. Unfortunately, he goes much further, making claims that are not validated by research.

For example, the author sees dementia as a kind of spiritual fulfillment--in a vague, "I'm not a Buddhist, but I integrate his wisdom into
Brent Green
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Betty Friedan helped change our thoughts and language about gender relations. Martin Luther King, Jr. helped change our thoughts and language about racial relations. Now Dr. Peter Whitehouse is helping change our thoughts and language about aging - more particularly about our aging brains. And this is a very good time for another social revolution in thought and language. Seventy-eight million Baby Boomers are reaching a time in life when brain changes due to aging are inevitable and, with enoug ...more
Jim
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Co-authored with Daniel George, Whitehouse expresses his opinion that Alzheimer's isn't truly a disease; the well-known symptoms are caused by an aging brain. The two of them discuss the original naming as well as pharmaceutical products currently being prescribed and the ill effect it has had on patients. The inevitable loss of brain functioning would be better served (they feel) through diet, exercise, reduction of environmental exposures as well as stress, and participating in vital activitie ...more
Sherry Monger

Dr. Whitehouse is a geriatric neurologist who is concerned with society's way of viewing Alzheimer's -as a disease that we have to win the war against. He says seeing patients as victims in a vicious battle is unhelpful and causes a great deal of anxiety in all of us.
Dr. Whitehouse prefers that we see Alzheimer's as a part of the natural brain aging process that we will all experience, to one degree or another. We need to learn how to make sufferers of dementia comfortable in their own communiti
Annette
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
An excellent book for anyone with aging parents or someone aging themselves. It challenges the notion that Alzheimer's is always a death sentence and challenges the urge to "label and classify" people. It recognizes that cognitive decline is a part of life and challenges people (caretakers and elderly alike) to think out of the box for ways to make the most of what is left and to live without so much fear of the future.
Natalie
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I agree with most of his basic points -- but didn't really get why he kept trumpeting his point of view as so radical and new. Yes, maybe 15 years ago. It's an OK book but it wasn't what I was hoping for.
Katharine Ott
"The Myth of Alzheimer's" - written by Peter J Whitehouse and published in 2008 by St Martin's Press. Local Cleveland physician Whitehouse imparts some good advice and also the awareness that he has worked very hard in this field.
Sally
A leading clinician and researcher makes a convincing case that Alzheimer's is a flawed, counter-productive diagnosis, a disease without a single cause or likely cure. He seeks to help people live in a preventative way and then deal with the challenges of an aging brain in life-affirming ways.
Nancy
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard the author speak at the U of M. This book provides a controversial new way to think about brain aging.
Sue Klasing
Jun 05, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Available in Large Print
D
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful book by a top expert. Relax about so-called Alzheimer's. If it scares you, you'll feel so much better after reading this. If you're old, pass it on to your kids.
Laurel Hicks
There is some good information here, despite the puzzling title. Much repetition, but I suppose that's needed in memory loss.
Mike
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and positive approach to brain aging, except for too much on the science and effects of prescriptions.
Jane
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in memory loss
Very interesting ideas relating to brain aging. To sum it up: mind over matter. If one and one's doctor has a positive attitude towards brain aging it can not be a death sentence.
Joyce
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The information is current, but the author's voice is too arrogant for me.
Tory Wagner
Interesting book. Whitehouse is very full of himself, but he includes some good information. I especially liked the sections on preventive care.
David
Sep 01, 2014
Ashley
Feb 05, 2017
 Suzanne
rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2015