Start by marking “Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 1 (Library Wars: Love & War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 1 (Library Wars: Love & War, #1)

Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 1

(Library Wars: Love & War #1)

In the near future, the federal government creates a committee to rid society of books it deems unsuitable. The libraries vow to protect their collections, and with the help of local governments, form a military group to defend themselves--the Library Forces!

Iku Kasahara has dreamed of joining the Library Defense Force ever since one of its soldiers stepped in to protect h
Published June 1st 2010 by VIZ Media (first published April 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Library Wars, please sign up.
Christine Bowles Yes and No. At the very basic core of the story yes. But I think it is more about the girl who wants to step up against the censorship. But then, I am…moreYes and No. At the very basic core of the story yes. But I think it is more about the girl who wants to step up against the censorship. But then, I am only 1 book in. There may be more about the issue of censorship itself further in.(less)

Elena
I had never read manga before, and didn't really have plans to start, but then I read the premise to Library Wars, and just couldn't not read this one.

In the world of this manga, there is a war going on between a government committee created for the purpose of confiscating and destroying "unsuitable" books (which seems to be pretty much everything) and the Library Defense Force, a group of militant librarians formed to protect the books and people's freedom to read them. The main character of th
Merb
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
"This isn't a game. You don't just beat your enemy and score points. They might come back at you. Just because I know how to move... doesn't mean I'm good at this..."

Summary
Iku Kasahara grew up being known as a tomboy, but also loved reading books. When the government created the Media Betterment Committee, representatives had the legal right to dispose of any media that had been listed as inappropriate. When Kasahara was trying to purchase a book and had it taken from an MBC representatives, sh
Jess
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians
Recommended to Jess by: the library gods
Shelves: z_12, manga
This got accidentally sent to my library via interlibrary loan, which is how the library gods gift a book. Thanks gods; I liked it.

Granted, it's set up for librarians to like: Library Task Force fighting censorship, Japan's version of Dewey, romance, funny bits, etc. I dig the illustrations & paneling.

Sure, Kasahara leaves a bit to be desired. She's melodramatic and ought to be good in at least SOME of her classes. Tezuka was right to call that nonsense. If nothing else, can she be awake? I
Chris
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chris by: Jeanette
I don't speak Japanese so I really don't know what Kiiro Yumi would feel about Goodreads Censorship.
Arooj
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As soon as I saw that this manga is about people who protect libraries, I was like "I HAVE to read this!" I love libraries. I'd live in one if I could. Seriously. Just give me a mini fridge and a small kitchen and I'm good.

I haven't read any mangas for a while and I realized how much I missed them. This manga was just so cute! It was especially hilarious, with Kasahara and Dojo constantly fighting over basically everything, haha. The whole idea of books being confiscated freaked me out! Anyone w
Sesana
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I really do like the premise of Library Wars, that the battle against censorship has become very literal. The Library Defense Force is an interesting concept. And I like the vaguely Utena-like idea that Kasahara was inspired by her "prince" to try and become like him. But the execution was somewhat lacking. We're told that the battle is very serious and requires elite soldiers with elite training. But we never see any incidents that reflect that. (I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that ...more
Kendra
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is literally everything I wanted it to be.

Also dude, so excellent. It's like what if Farenheit 451 was real but helloooo Libraries exist? So what would be THEIR next move in that sort of world?
Militia. Book-protecting Militia, obvs.
Jeff
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spicy-manga
“This isn’t a game. You don’t just beat your enemy and score points. They might come back at you.”

Man, that’s hardcore.

Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-2018
Love this! The storyline feels so relevant to today. The government censoring books for 'problematic' things. It's kinda like a nightmare of what could come if certain people got their way. If this ever were to happen Id be the first to sign up for the Library Forces. Now, let's actually talk about the manga shall we?

Iku has dreamed of joining the Library Forces ever since she was saved by her 'prince' when she was trying to get a fairy tale book that she had waited a decade for. The government
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
The characters and their dynamics were the best part of this, along with the art style and goals of the protagonist. I'm so down with the romance, even though it's mentor/mentee so I can't recommend it. I also can't get myself to take a "library military" seriously, so I won't be continuing this series, at least not at this time.
Shaun Duke
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Every time I attend a convention, I come back with a little something extra in my collections. For anime conventions, this usually means I leave with a lot of manga and candy. Such is the story of how I came into the possession of the first volume of Kiiro Yumi's Library Wars (thanks MegaCon!). Unfortunately, the journey did not end with the desired result. While the premise of Library Wars is an amusing one, the narrative and world lack any sense of continuity, leaving a story that feels both s ...more
Susan
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the world of this series, censorship is rampant, with book burnings and book seizures such a concern that libraries and local government agencies have had to organize (and mobilize) to fight back in the form of special military units called the Library Forces. The newest brash young star in the Forces is agent Iku Kasahara, who was inspired to enter her career because of a heroic act she had witnessed in her youth. Her bravery (and hotheadedness know no bounds) and neither does the drama of
t
Yodamom
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crack-a-smile, manga
Fun, and crazy. Banned books cause the need for heavily armed library patrols. Well done illustrations. I like the love interest thing going on and the struggles.
Andrew
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
Just left me bored personally.
Laura A. Grace
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-read
I picked up this book because of a recommendation from a friend who said it was a fun series. After reading the premise, I knew I definitely wanted to try it!

Overall, I did enjoy it, though some of the paneling got me confused in a few places. It didn't seem to flow well and was unsure if I was reading in the right order. Really affected the reading experience for in those sections. However, it was still a really intriguing story. I loved the friendships and the humorous romantic tension that l
Ashley Smith
>U<
Dov Zeller
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphics-comics
This was between a 2 and a 3 for me. I think the particular slapstick humor of manga is one I sometimes have a hard time relating to and the sudden intensity of emotion (suddenly there, suddenly gone) tends to feel jarring and a bit forced. In this particular book, it's the slapstick humor that both makes and breaks it for me.

The basic premise is, Iku Kasahara, female protagonist, wants to be in the special fighting branch of an army which is made up entirely of men and whose sole purpose is pr
Jen • Just One More Page

This review is also posted on my blog.

(view spoiler)
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Stereo Nacht
This is the first volume of manga I've ever read, so I am unsure right now how much of my likes/dislikes have to do more with the form than this particular volume.

If reading graphic novels can be a challenge, and it is, many of us have to kind of shift into that mode of reading - manga is harder! Although translated into English the reading order starts back to front, right to left. I had to constantly force my brain to do it differently than how it wanted to.

The story is interesting, library sp
Anna
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
[voiceover] In a world where libraries have formed a military group to protect themselves, and homicides committed in the course of the war over media have been decriminalized, one girl dreams of joining the Library Defense Force . . .

I enjoyed this first entry into the series, although the heroine was a little too hapless at times, and was often patted on the head by male figures, which is what keeps it from a five-star rating--the library action scenes, especially those where the team is in th
Bobby
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
3.25
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, gn, library, ya, fluff, nwa
It has been years since I've read a manga series, but the title caught my attention. It's so cute! The art makes it feel like a fun, lighthearted story, even though the plot circumstances (government banning books and a task force devoted to intellectual freedom) is frighteningly plausible. Definitely reading the rest of the series.
Emily (Falling for YA)
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
3.5 Stars

Cute, super shoujo. I'm a librarian so even though I'm not a big manga reader I'm a sucker for the Farenhite 451-esque storyline.

I'll read the next book in this series after I request it from the library =P
Nisha
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-2019
Fluffy, predictable, cute and problematic. The premise is quite interesting but the execution is quite typical of ShojoBeat manga.

The MC is ditzy but strong “for a woman”, and is tenacious in that “my skill is to move forward no matter how difficult the going gets” way. The main love interest is pretty obvious except to the MC, and the sweet pre-romantic scenes are formulaic shojo.

The most interesting character is Tezuka, one of the MC’s peers. His ruthless honesty, consistent excellence and pen
Jasmine
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Really interesting concept, but more books, less romance! Come on, guys!
Cori
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not much into manga, so this was a new experience for me. The story was ok and it took me a little bit to get used to the style of the art and text together. I might read more. I am definitely not a target market for this type of book as a 53-year-old woman. 😂
Lars
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Library Wars follows the story of Iku Kasahara as she attempts to enter the military force that defends libraries in a future where the government severely restricts all non-library owned books. It includes her training as she attempts to climb the ranks and become an official member, along with her clashes with her superior officer, and other problems.

Library Wars was absolutely not what I expected. I will not to say that it was bad, because it wasn't, but it absolutely wasn't what I had expect
Danika at The Lesbrary
This was fun. Total fluff reading.
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
Great, funny, and it's probably the first manga where the guy is slightly shorter than the girl! And I'm not annoyed by it!!!

The Plot

I found this entertaining, particularly for anyone who loves reading (which I'm sure is everyone on Goodreads), even if it's in the same generic vein as most shojo. As per usual in most serialized manga, whether oriented toward girls or boys, the main character is somewhat bland, has some skills, but her only notable good quality, which is even spelled out in the text, is that she never gives up, since we like giving children The Little Engine that Could message. Kasahara is basically like a co ...more
SCPL Teens: Censorship in Books 8 10 Jun 24, 2016 07:43PM
Shoujo Manga Book...: Library Wars Discussion 2 20 Jul 06, 2013 04:14PM
She-Geeks: This topic has been closed to new comments. Library Wars: Love & War Vol. 1 by by Kiiro Yumi & Hiro Arikawa (June Read) 10 30 Jun 30, 2013 03:23PM
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • Emma, Vol. 02
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • Dramacon, Vol. 1
  • Otomen, Vol. 3 (Otomen, #3)
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 1
  • Honey Hunt, Vol. 1
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 27
  • Kaze Hikaru, Vol. 1
  • Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 2 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #3-4)
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 3
  • Love Attack, Volume 1

Library Wars: Love & War (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 2  (Library Wars: Love & War #2)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 3 (Library Wars: Love & War #3)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 4 (Library Wars: Love &  War, #4)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 5 (Library Wars: Love & War, #5)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 6 (Library Wars: Love & War, #6)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 7 (Library Wars: Love & War, #7)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 8 (Library Wars: Love & War, #8)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 9 (Library Wars: Love & War, #9)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 10 (Library Wars: Love & War, #10)
  • 図書館戦争 LOVE&WAR 11