Start by marking “Kaputte Suppe” as Want to Read:
Kaputte Suppe

Kaputte Suppe

Als der gut aussehende Junge ihr ein Foto-Negativ reicht und darauf besteht, dass es ihr aus der Tasche gefallen sei, glaubt Rowan, es sei ein Missverständnis. Aber im nächsten Moment ist er im Getümmel verschwunden. Und sie kann ihren Platz an der Supermarktkasse nicht aufgeben, um ihm nachzulaufen. Denn wenn sie die Einkäufe nicht nach Hause bringt, tut’s keiner. Rowan i ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by dtv (first published January 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kaputte Suppe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaputte Suppe

Ash
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 3.5. Even though the book was interesting and I liked the basis of it, there were a few things that bothered me. Rowan is a likeable character and responsible. A lot of the book was about how sad Rowan's mother is because of Jack's death, and how it's now up to Rowan to take care of her little sister, Stroma. It's a sad subject but the book itself doesn't have a sad and desolate tone. Stroma is funny and a believable 5/6 year old girl. Like many kids her age, her strength and knowledg ...more
Sara Grochowski
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I've had this book on my desk for about 2 weeks and kept passing it over and now I am mentally kicking myself! I cannot put into words how great this book was. I LOVED it! This is only Jenny Valentine's second novel and have my fingers crossed that there are many more to come.

Broken Soup was heart-wrenching and tear-inducing. It was funny and witty. It was filled with twists and turns yet perfectly predictable. It was real.

Rowan is an amazing character. I thought she would seem young to me sin
Dottie
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rowan's big brother, Jack, died two years ago. Since then, her father moved out, her mother sank into depression, and her life has fallen apart. Left with the responsibility to take care of her precocious six year old sister, Stroma, Rowan learns to be fiercely independent and incredibly functional. She does the grocery shopping. She cooks and looks after her sister. She brings her mother to her doctor's appointments. She goes to school. And she grieves, in her own way. Rowan is fifteen.

Broken S
Paula Bee
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paula Bee by: Annette
Shelves: book-club
This was such a touching novel. It was beautifully written and very emotional. The subject matter was very sensitive. It is full of grief and sadness and happiness and just pure inspiration.

Rowan was a great protagonist. Her strength made her so appealing. She wasn’t perfect (lets face it, who is?) She was real and strong and had so much love in her heart.

Stroma was the most gorgeous little girl. She played such a central role to the plot. She was so innocent yet mature at the same time.

Harper
Vivian
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit was een verrassend fijn boek, mooi en bijzonder geschreven en erg aangrijpend en boeiend. Ik vind het mooi hoe levendig en hoopvol en kleurrijk het is, en ik vond het prachtig hoe thema’s als familiedynamiek, overlijden en hoe iemand herinnerd wordt uit de verf komen. Was erg fijn om te lezen en ik ben nu ook heel benieuwd naar Valentines andere werk! Uitgebreide recensie: http://thebookreview.nl/recensies/con...
Hannah

This book had a lot of potential. The idea with the photo is intriguing, and Rowan's whole situation sounded interesting to read about. The plot is what kept me turning the pages - I loved the plot twists and the many ideas - but I had quite a few problems with the rest of Broken Soup.

I think my main problem was that the message got lost in the many aspects of the plot. I don't mean that a book shouldn't have many storylines, but they should support each other to make a whole and create a messag
Brigita
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This was one of the more touching YA books I've read. No wonder that it received awards and great reviews.

Occasionally, I felt that the style was a bit too distracting, pulling one's attention away from the story to the more stylistic, verbal elements, instead of emphasizing the plot, the characters and the message. It may be that this is because I was translating the book and thus paid more attention to stylistic elements than I would if I were only reading it for pleasure. On the other hand,
Ingrid Hermans
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Clarabel
Rowan rencontre Harper sur un malentendu. Routard insouciant, au volant d'une vieille ambulance, il erre dans les rues de Londres avec un sourire aux lèvres et une bienveillance chevillée au corps. C'est tout naturellement qu'il a tendu à la jeune fille un bout de négatif qu'elle aurait laissé tomber par terre, même si elle prétend le contraire. Rowan file droit devant elle, perplexe et curieuse. Puis troublée, quand elle découvrira ce que la photographie lui révélera.

La vie de l'adolescente a b
Rita
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn't know whether I would like this one or not. It had a slow beginning. And I couldn't really emphatize with Rowan, the main character.

She clearly needed help, but didn't ask for it anyway. Why not? What was she afraid of? Her life couldn't get any more complicated than it already was.

But then I got into the story and I couldn't stop reading. I even teared up a few times. I think that the characters grew with every chapter and I thought that the story itself was pretty authentic.

Al
vivi books haven
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I couldn't read it past chapter 3 .. didnt like the writing
Julie Mestdagh
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t have time to fall apart”.

These are the words of 15 year old Rowan, main character of the book “Broken Soup” by Jenny Valentine. A discovery, really, this story, so simple and yet so touching I barely have words to describe it.

It would be easy to be mislead by the pink cover of the book, the big heart on the cover or the title, which suggest nothing else than another teenage love story. This couldn’t be further from the truth, though.

“Broken soup” tells the story about Rowan and her littl
Kailia
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about Broken Soup when Sara from The Hiding Spot recommended as books people just had to read. I was in the library the next day and I saw it. I checked it out but didn’t read it right away. Now I wished I had. Broken Soup, Jenny Valentine’s sophomore novel was one of the best books I’ve read.

The story begins with Rowan getting a photo negative. It’s not her’s so why did this boy give it to her? We delve into Rowan’s hard life: he father has moved out, her mother is silent, she tak
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

The story in BROKEN SOUP starts immediately from page one.

While Rowan is in line at a shop, a strange boy tries handing her a picture negative. He's insistent that she has dropped it, but Rowan is positive that it's not hers. When he doesn't let up, Rowan takes the negative from him, but once at home, she throws it in the trash. It isn't until an unfamiliar girl approaches Rowan in the lunch room that she gives a second thought to the negative.

The girl, Bee
Watermelon Daisy
Unfortunately, this wasn't the description on the back of the edition I had. I wished it was, because I have a feeling I'd be more thrilled to read this book with that kind of description. That, or I'd never pick it up in fear it might be constant sobbing and nothing else. I hate books like that, and it feels like it wastes time. The only book I can think of on the spot that does the whole "death" thing well is Chasing Charlie Duskin which is one of my favourites.

This story does it fairly well,
Kelly
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review at http://yannabe.com/2009/05/24/review-...

Summary: Rowan’s older brother is dead. Her father has left. Her mother sleeps all day, leaving Rowan to take care of her little sister. So when a stranger at the store insists she dropped a photo negative, she doesn’t have the energy to argue with him. But then she can’t get that mystery photo out of her mind. And who was that boy anyway?

Review: I luuuuurve this book! The story unfolds a little at a time, luring you deeper and deeper into w
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Broken Soup. / Jenny Valentine. / 2009.

Genre: Young Adult Realistic Fiction.

Format: Book - print. 216 p.

Plot summary:
"A photographic negative and two surprising new friends become the catalyst for healing as fifteen-year-old Rowan struggles to keep her family and her life together after her brother's death" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
death of a sibling, grief, sibling relationships, teen boy/girl relationships, England

Review c
Doug Beatty
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
This is the story of Rowan who loses her brother Jack in a terrible accident. Her mother is suffering from major depression and Rowan is left in charge of her younger sister Stroma. Her father and mother are separated and even though he does come for visits, Rowan does not let him know the severity of the depression. Rowan is handed a negative from a photograph that a man claims had fallen out of her bag. This man is 18 year old Harper, an American who is traveling the world. Rowan also befriend ...more
Hani
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, 2012-marathon
How was it feels like to be the only person that have sense of living in a family. To face the reality that one of your family member, lets say a big brother, the most ethusiastic one was dead. Put you to a grief.. and everything were changed dramatically. You being the eldest, for the only little sister to take care off,while your mother was not in a clear state of mind,unbearable.. a mother who committed suicide just unable to accept the lost. Thanks to people around who in any means showed up ...more
Kat
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is not the sort of book I usually read. I'm not even sure why I picked it up, but I sure am glad I did, because now, I might read more of them. Sometimes you can have too much of the magical, fantastical and out of this world-ical. Every now and then you need something plausible, something real. Something that can happen and has happened to real people. And this is exactly what this is, a little piece a realness. Yes, it may be slightly contrived, all the pieces fitting into place a little ...more
Suzanne
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong 8 on the Peachworthy scale for me because of its brevity, strong characterization, and its depiction of the aftershocks that continue to affect a family for a long time after sudden death. Jack's accident abroad has resulted in Rowan's parents splitting, her mother sleeping or zoned out in front of the TV all the time, and her little sister Stroma becoming her responsibility. She doesn't even have to time to be fifteen anymore. One day in a shop a strange American boy hands her a negati ...more
Magda
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Kaputte Suppe - Ein Titel, den das Buch perfekt beschreibt, ein besserer wäre nicht zu denken gewesen.

Habe mich während dem Lesen häufig gefragt, welche Altersgruppe das Buch ansprechen soll.
Protagonistin ist 15 und schildert wie der Bruder gestorben ist, wie ihre Mutter einen Selbstmordversuch begeht und sie das Bad betritt.
Der Bruder war die ganze Zeit high, der Freund lebt in einem Krankenwagen.

Was mir aber richtig gut gefallen hat, ist die Karte des Universums, die im Kleiderschrank hängt.
U
Shonna Froebel
This book follows Rowan, who is almost fifteen, and now the unofficial head of the household. After her brother Jack's death a couple of years ago, Rowan's family has gradually fallen apart. Her mother has retreated into depression, her father has moved out, and she has ended up looking after her younger sister Stroma, who is now six. Rowan sometimes resents the role of responsiblity that she has taken on, but she loves her sister even while missing her brother. When a young man hands her a phot ...more
Anya Tracey
I really enjoyed this book, however there were parts that were really depressing. It is an enchanting story about a family who has to deal with the sudden death of a son. The story has a lot of different emotions. Happiness, sadness, humor, and distress that a lot of readers who have lost a family member will understand.

Throughout the book there were many plot twists. I liked how Harper wanted to do all these things in his life like travel.

I was with Rowan the main character all the way becaus
Emy Papasideris
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me. It was a lot better than I had anticipated; the writing style was very distinct, and although seemingly simple, there was a poetic note running throughout the whole story, so subtle you could miss it if you weren't paying close attention.

The story is about life and love and acceptance and grief and strength, and so many other things. The characters are real and flawed, but that makes you like them all the more. Finishing the book, the reader is left with a sweet aftertast
Chrissy
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
Throughout the book I found many similarities to events in my life after my own brother died. This is an amazing story that brought tears to my eyes,and reminded me that even though you've lost someone, parts of them are still out there. I would definately suggest this book for anyone who's ever lost a sibling.
Rue
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a lovely read! I'd recommend it to someone having a book-hangover.

The characters were so bright and precious and I loved them so much I'd wished I know people like them.

The writing was so direct and simple and that's what made me admire the book even more.

There are still things that I'm dying to know about the ending but I still like the book.
Akie L
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken soup was good. Just not amazing. And I liked Rowan and Harper. Just not enough to make me feel anything. I didn't feel the connections between characters. The writing was okay. But it wasn't great or even really good.

To put it plainly: the book was unexceptional.
Kim Carlton
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2015
I got this book a few years ago and tried to get into it twice but failed. Finally managed to finish it and found myself actually really enjoying it!
  • Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)
  • No More Us for You
  • Absolutely Maybe
  • Silhouetted by the Blue
  • Alligator Bayou
  • The Winds of Heaven
Jenny Valentine moved house every two years when she was growing up. She has just moved house again, probably not for the last time. She worked in a wholefood shop in Primrose Hill for fifteen years where she met many extraordinary people and sold more organic loaves than there are words in her first novel. She has also worked as a teaching assistant and a jewellery maker. She studied English Lite ...more
“Even when you’d lost everything you thought there was to lose, somebody came along and gave you something for free.” 146 likes
“I smiled back and I thought
how incredible that was, that they would find the time to smile. There was goodness in the world still, even if you couldn’t always see it.”
140 likes