Start by marking “The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics” as Want to Read:
The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics

The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  502 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
The award-winning illustrator Grady Klein has paired up with the world's only stand-up economist, Yoram Bauman, PhD, to take the dismal out of the dismal science. From the optimizing individual to game theory to price theory, The Cartoon Introduction to Economics is the most digestible, explicable, and humorous 200-page introduction to microeconomics you'll ever read.

Bauma
Published January 19th 2010 by Hill and Wang (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Cartoon Introduction to Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cartoon Introduction to Economics

Diane
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, despite having bad flashbacks to my sophomore year of college, when I swear I had the world's most boring economics professor. (And the class was held at 8 a.m. Blech.) Seeing the picture of the supply and demand curve was a little traumatic, but I rallied.

I requested this from the library because I had read and appreciated the author's recent book about climate change. Bauman has a PhD in economics and his bio describes him as an environmental economist. This book gives an in
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of microeconomics.
Joe
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Here's is what I think about mathematics:

I... hate... it... so... much!

Therefore, I have no idea what possessed me to read this book. Maybe I was encouraged by my friend's four-star rating. Perhaps I wanted, once again, to try to conquer my fear of and anger at math. Whatever my motivations, they were rewarded with The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Microeconomics.

No, I'm dead serious. And I learned! In fact, if math classes used comic books to teach, I swear to God I'd be an actuary by now.

Yoram Bauman, described on the
Duc Hoang
Mình là một kẻ ngoại đạo đúng nghĩa, tất cả những gì mình biết về kinh tế học đều đến từ Crash Course Econ trên youtube của anh em nhà Green, nhưng cuốn sách dí dỏm này thật sự giúp mình thông hiểu nhiều vấn đề trong cuộc sống hàng ngày. Tuy nó chưa giúp trả lời câu hỏi khiến mình nặng lòng như người táo bón lâu ngày rằng "bản tay vô hình có thật sự tồn tại không?", nhưng nhưng "Làm quen Kinh tế học qua Biếm hoạ" cũng giúp mình hiểu thêm những đối tượng và quan hệ mà kinh tế vi mô nghiên cứu, ha ...more
Ahmad Hossam
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economy

To someone who doesn't understand economy at all like my self, I definitely enjoyed this books and learnt a lot at the same time!
I have just two problems:

First: starting from you're introduced to supply & demand curves, it becomes somewhat boring so you just skip those parts. Fortunately, this is only a small part in an overall fun book.

Second: Though my understanding of economics is limited, I don't buy the "the market forces will do this and that" bullshit. I'm also aware that despite

Martyn
I enjoyed this book for much of its 211 pages but I faltered right at the end over two ideas. One was the statement that "You might think that a decentralized economy guided by individual self-interest would lead to chaos, war and disaster...but...we think it's the best option". This book was written in 2010, two years after the market crash caused by self-interested bankers and a chaotic war that was paid for by a credit card, the bill for which was immediately handed off to the populace. So I ...more
Myriam
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I used the books of this series to teach Economics 101 and it was very inspiring. Easy way to explain complex issues in a highly approachable and fun way.
Almira
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini menjawab pertanyaan provokatif yang tertera di sampul belakangnya. Misalkan, "Ingin mengerti ekonomi tapi tak sempat ikut kuliah atau membaca buku teks yang tebal dan sulit?" atau pertanyaan sederhana seperti "Mau tahu kenapa harga-harga naik?". Untuk orang yang awam ekonomi seperti saya, Kartun Ekonomi cukup membantu untuk memahami ilmu yang satu ini. Seperti seri Kartun KPG(Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia) lainnya, tentu saja ilmu Ekonomi yang, menurut saya, logika banget tersebut disaji ...more
Ali
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Informative and very entertaining. Highly recommended for those who are new to the subject, like me! Though I'm exposed to macroeconomy and investment, almost all presented micro-economy concepts are new to me. The book presents ideas in a simple (or maybe oversimplified) language. The book could be sufficient reading for those who want to grap the basics, while being beneficial as a starting point for those who plan to go deeper.
Ginan Aulia Rahman
Seru!

Buku kampret ini mengingatkan saya kalau saya ini bukan individu pengoptimal yang waras. Banyak banget pilihan di hidup saya yang sangat bodoh dan menghasilkan kerugian. Saya jadi mikir, jangan-jangan, saya bukan homo economicus? mungkin saya ini homo borosikus rakus sia-siakus.
Melanie Bugera
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you have ever wondered why when the government taxes the big fat corporations it ends up being paid by the consumer - this book is for you!
Linh Liu Lo
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay hơn trăm lần so với giáo trình Kinh tế vi mô ở cấp đại học, đây chắc là cuốn duy nhất có cách tiếp cận với Kinh tế học kiểu này, vui nhộn và dễ tiêu hơn nhiều quyển bài tập và đề cương ôn Kinh tế vi mô 😂
Sophia Pandelidis
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Made the basics of economics accesible to everyone. I think this is an important topic that everyone should understand on a rudimentary level in order to comprehend the workings of our current world.
Thanh
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nội dung gắn liền với thực tế trong cuộc sống nên dễ hiểu cùng những bức tranh biếm họa vui nhộn gây ra sự thích thú để người đọc hiểu tổng quan về kinh tế vi mô.
Byambasuren
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this while taking an intro to microecon class- helped me remember the broad picture of what I was learning.
Sandeep
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellently illustrusted with hilarious examples to explain the fundamentals of microeconomics. I wish they make more text books like these.
John
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly excellent introduction to economics that clearly crystallises the key components of academic economic thought, which seems so frequently to be at odds with observations of the "real world".

As someone generally a bit skeptical of whether economic theory stands up to the real world (I am a geologist/mineral economist, so really have a more applied view of life), or really has anything to add of practical use to day-to-day life, this book has changed my mind somewhat, making me appre
Ryan
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Happened to pick this up at the airport in Pittsburgh waiting for my flight back to Arizona. Picked it up, read it on the plane. A very straightforward, easy-to-follow guide to some of the basic principles of microeconomics, presented through cute comic strips and some eye-rolling humor. I'm not an economist, but what I read seemed to jive with what I remember from Econ 101 back in college.

Anyway, the book is most illuminating in terms of the limits of microeconomic theory. In focusing on the i
Joseph R.
This book is a fun and informative guide to the basics of economics, covering the economic activity of individuals, small groups of people, and markets. Various terms like the Invisible Hand, marginal analysis, sunk cost, etc. are explained clearly with entertaining examples. Recurring characters help to tie the confusing terminology and ideas together more easily. The running gag about Nobel-Prize winning economists is fun.

I have not studied economics so I am not sure how comprehensive the book
Lailaturrahmi
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading this book after having a not-so-good experience with Economics at high school is like receiving a dose of drug with pleasant smell and flavor.

This book introduces you to Microeconomics from the very basic: The Optimizing Individual, Strategic Intervention, and the last, Market Interactions, with various subtopics covered such as: decision tree, time, interest rate, risk, investation, trade, game theory, prisonner's dilemma, Pareto efficiency, supply and demand, tax, auction, and elastici
B A
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
What does this book promise? a) Basic info on microeconomics b) humor... This book met both of its promises. Many times a wide smile flashed on mu face while reading and I learnt new things such as auctions and coase theory tough I know quite much about microeconomics. I admire that the Cartoon Introduction has a different structure than, and cover some issues that are not covered by standard text books. Over all, it was really really good.
----
Bu kitap ne vaat ediyor? a) mikroiktisat hakkında t
Kiet Huynh
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Đối tượng nên đọc: dân không chuyên và thuộc khối ngành cần tư duy logic muốn tìm hiểu cơ bản kinh tế

Có khi nào bạn tự hỏi tại sao con người và rộng hơn là xã hội lại có thể đạt được trạng thái cân bằng như hiện tại? Tại sao lại xuất hiện quá nhiều các vấn đề trong kinh tế chứ không đơn thuần là trade? Tại sao Communism lại không thể tồn tại? Tất cả chỉ xoay quanh một vấn đề: con người luôn muốn ưu hóa cá nhân (Optimizing Individual). Đây là nền móng cho lĩnh vực nghiên cứu Microeconomics: Khi n
Mary Whisner
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
If you came to law school without taking economics (or if your memory is dim), you might be confused by references to the Coase Theorem, marginal utility, the Prisoner's Dilemma, and other economic concepts thrown around in law school classes and law review articles.

Good news: The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics can give you a quick introduction (or review). The presentation is lighthearted, but the content is solid.

The author is Yoram Bauman, who teaches in the UW'
Punjung Raras
Buku ini mungkin lebih menarik dalam versi bahasa Inggrisnya….karena untuk orang yang sudah pernah belajar ekonomi dan buku panduannya bahasa inggris, istilah-istilah yang digunakan terasa aneh dan kurang pas, contohnya seperti, tangan tak terlihat (invisible hand), biaya tertanam (sunk cost), teori permainan (game theory), pembaikan pareto (pareto improvement), informasi asimetris (asymmetric information), pilihan merugikan (adverse selection), dan banyak lagi. Akan lebih menarik lagi (bagi say ...more
Nick
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seems like a fine introduction to Microeconomics to me. It's now apparent the author has an environmental bias, and he's pro government interference in this regard, which is fine with me. I found this volume slightly less interesting and more confusing than the Macroeconomics volume, and part of that has to do with my also finding certain economic terms and concepts, such as elasticity, unecessarily esoteric, boring, or somewhat balderdash.

I think I learned the most in Part Two: Strategic Intera
Steven
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny, engaging, well-informed, concise, good art. Pretty much everything I remember from my community college economics class was touched upon in this book, plus I learned a few new things. As an introduction, this book also does a good job at directing the reader toward good places for further reading. I was surprised by the artwork too. Grady Klein's impressionistic inkwork reminds me a bit of the work Bill Watterson and Mike Mignola, he nicely conveys a diverse range of characters, and most ...more
Ben
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
This is a very good book. It is an introduction to economics in a comic book format, and it does a very good job of explaining the harder topics, while still keeping them funny and lighthearted. It has three main topics, and within them it has chapters, each containing similar, but not identical theories to the ones in the same section. I liked it a lot because I learned a lot about economics, (Now a big interest of mine!) and it was a good, humorous read that makes me want to read it over and o ...more
Anne Vu
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
As an Economics student, I find myself drawn to the Economics corner in every book store I go to and the first time I place my eyes on this book, I know I will buy it, I will read it and I will love it. The cartoon are amazing and fun. Theories are well explained and comprehensible. I have the Vietnamese translated version so there are several jokes that I cannot understand, which I believe the translator is to blame for this. But that one is minor, totally acceptable.
Strongly recommend for anyo
Andrew
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this book five stars because I really feel it achieves everything it sets out to do: make microeconomics easy to understand while also making it a little fun. This book was recommended to me by an economics professor in preparation for an econ class. I have very little background in economics, so I found it to be a wonderful overview of many major concepts in micro that I have heard of but never really knew what they meant. I would recommend this to anyone who is seeking to gain a li ...more
Jack Cheng
This book is well illustrated and explains the basics of economics, but a lot of it is on the theoretical end of things. For example, it explains why supply and demand curves are the same as marginal cost curves, and what Pareto inefficiencies are. Bottom line: I don't care. I was hoping more for a Freakonomics type "real-world" approach. This would be a good supplement to an Econ textbook, but if you're taking the class, why would you need this?
  • Economix: How and Why Our Economy Works (and Doesn't Work), in Words and Pictures
  • Microeconomics
  • Advanced Macroeconomics
  • Economics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Filthy Lucre: Economics for People Who Hate Capitalism
  • The Cartoon Guide to Calculus
  • The Little Book of Main Street Money: 21 Simple Truths that Help Real People Make Real Money (Little Books. Big Profits)
  • Macroeconomics
  • Economics for Real People: An Introduction to the Austrian School
  • Microeconomic Theory: Basic Principles and Extensions
  • Les Années douces, tome 1
  • The Borden Tragedy: A Memoir of the Infamous Double Murder at Fall River, Mass., 1892 (A Treasury of Victorian Murder)
  • A course in Game Theory
  • Invisible Hook: The Hidden Economics of Pirates
  • 30-Second Economics
  • Excellence Without a Soul: How a Great University Forgot Education
  • Il nipote del Negus
  • The Little Book of Economics: How the Economy Works in the Real World

“Microeconomists are wrong about specific things and macroeconomists are wrong about things in general!” 1 likes