Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch

(Encyclopedia Brown #2)

Nashville, Thomas Nelson (1965) 8th printing thus as shown. Slight rubbing, soiling to back cover, else fine picture cover hardback. Clean and tight. No remainder marks. B320
Published 1965 by Thomas Nelson

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch

MsAprilVincent
I'm reading this aloud to my freshman.

[gushy love song follows:]

"Time to practice your deductive reasoning skills," I announce, and they all sit up straight, close their mouths, and fix their eyes on me.

It's the only time during the period when I don't have to wait for silence, the only time I don't have to remind them to be civil, the only time I've got every single student focusing on the same objective.

NOBODY sleeps through Encyclopedia Brown. Nobody interrupts, nobody stares out the window,
Stacey
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boys-books
Eli had his first boys book club today. 2 other boys from his class came over. After letting them run around, we came in and had some popcorn and gingerale ice cubes (they were in one of the mysteries) and Kool-aid. The book discussion was light, but the boys had a surprising amount to say about the book, and knew so many of the details. They colored in some bookplates, made bookmarks and then we played kickball. I had planned on having some water balloon games, but Emma tripped with the whole c ...more
Dylan
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Encylopedia brown. a yong boy who knows everything about anything and how he solves crimes. My favorite one is with the tigers secret shooting range.
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reread on 2/22/10 and upgraded from three stars to five stars
In a read aloud to the whole class, my third graders could figure out about half of these with some significant prompting. I remember reading these when I was about that age and getting frustrated at how I couldn't get most of them. Now I could get all of them! Must be something about having a fully developed brain or something.

All that being said, I think these books are great for kids picking up on and remembering details, and using logic to solve puzzles. Sometimes they need some prompting t
JP
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I thought it really good and for the first time I solved a case without looking at it!
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I enjoyed these books so much when I was a kid, and the nostalgia factor is strong!
Xydel
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2019
Hard mysteries that you get to solve yourself but inspirational because Leroy, or Encyclopedia, is a fifth grader just like me.
Steven R. McEvoy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This was the second Encyclopedia Brown book That I have given a read. In some ways it is interesting reading these books and also the Hard Boys Books with my son currently. I first picked up a book in this series because Barry Lyga made mention of it on his blog. These are fun reads, especially waiting for meetings to start at work. And with almost 30 books in the series it will provide a lot of entertainment.

Leroy Brown known to everyone around town as Encyclopedia Brown, born is a ten year ol
Dolly
Feb 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
Book #2 in the Encyclopedia Brown series of books by Donald J. Sobol. We borrowed books 1 and 2 on the recommendation of another parent. I remember reading them as a child and loving trying to figure out the mysteries, so I was eager to share them with our girls. They liked them, but I don't think they're quite ready. Our oldest figured one of them out, and understood most of the others, once I read the solution, but a few of them went over her head. And our youngest just wasn't interested at al ...more
Timothy McNeil
Sobol's second Encyclopedia Brown collection requires a little more thinking and less guess work (and not a single instance of being outright wrong, which Encyclopedia was on his very first case). It is a little odd to revisit the idealized world of 1960s suburbia (even with the one bad neighborhood) where children are kidnapped for ransom and mumblety-peg is a perfectly fine past time for young boys. (Sobol is unclear as to which version of the game is being played, but the one with which I gre ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Julesmarie
Every bit as fun as the first book! Leroy (Encyclopedia) continues to be a delightful main character, the mysteries continue to be entertaining, and the side characters are still fun and funny.

My favorite thing is still that the solutions to the mysteries are at the end of the book so they can't be accidentally spoiled. Very clever!
Beyond Words
3.5 rating.

There were a couple mysteries happening in Texas specifically, that I found I couldn't get into. There were a few others where I had to reread a section because I tuned out. (view spoiler)
Mystereity Reviews
Encyclopedia Brown Can't say enough good things about this series.  Written for kids but still a great read for adults on a nostalgia kick.
stormhawk
More short mysteries to be solved by the reader.
Lisa
When I saw this on the bookstore shelf I couldn't resist. I read this series as a young elementary aged child in the late 1960's-early 1970's; I was 8-12 years old; and loved them. I enjoyed following the clues and trying to solve the mysteries.
Fast forward to the current time and I still enjoyed following the clues and solving the mysteries. (I'll admit it there was one I had a little trouble solving).
This series follows Leroy Brown, known as Encyclopedia, so known because he had read so many
Blue
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I feel that some of the 'solutions' were more convoluted than necessary, expecially with the ginger ale, and would have liked to see someone correct a detail - it could even be a way of the ne'er-do-weller to accidentally confess. There were a couple cases that seemed unsolvable, but it would turn out I missed the clue - probably do to working and having it sped up - like I read a shadow as being from the wrong character. I know later books have more esoteric-fact-based lynch-pins, but I did app ...more
Sebastian Parra
I honestly didn’t like this book. It is like a mystery book each chapter is a mystery. I like mystery books when the whole book is one great mystery that either gets solved at the end, or in the sequel. The Did a good job when he added the answer to mystery at a certain page. For example, at the end of a chapter the mystery still has not been solved. You would have to go to a specific page to find the answer. To make the book better I would make the whole book one big mystery. This book is a rea ...more
Scott Paulson
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paulson-family
I thoroughly enjoyed this series as a child, and now my own boys are reading them for light reading fun. It is a book well-suited for people who enjoy puzzles. It is family friendly, if a bit dated in the tradition of Mayberry RFD. What I especially enjoy about the series is the use of simile throughout the stories. Some are over-the-top odd, but many of the examples display a profound understanding of childhood and rural America.
Maximilian Lee
I didn't like this book that much because the mysteries were very confusing and I didn't get them. I LIKED (there IS a like) this book because I like mystery book and the are very fun to read. I like the parts when Encyclopedia catches all of the crooks. >_<
Stacy M. Patton
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
I read this to my 2 boys, who are 10 and 8. They both loved it!! My 10 year old solved a few cases but they both enjoyed listening and analyzing the answers to solve the case. Very entertaining and great book to make you analyze and think things through!
Mellanie C
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid, these books completely stumped me. Now I'm the Queen of Trivia, and I find the mini mysteries a lot easier to solve! This is going into my classroom library for my students to enjoy.
Raven Rose
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think you quite understand. At age 8, I WAS Encyclopedia Brown!! Oh I loved this so much. 5 nostalgic stars!!!
Erin Pierce
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these mysteries when I was a kid, and now my children and I are enjoying them together. A really fun series.
SilverFrost
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book. The mysteries make you think and Encyclopedia is more fleshed out. One of the best detective series for kids.
Karen
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who like mysteries
Recommended to Karen by: Series
Shelves: luisa-read
Luisa: my favorite mystery was the Case of the Hungry Hitchhiker.
Marcia
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading as an adult. Still fun.
Ah Lenn
I think I read this when I was a kid. Obviously interesting for kid only
Heather/Jason Wadell
Do they even write children's books like this anymore? I am excited to share these classics with my 7 year old.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Singing Ghost (The Boxcar Children, #31)
  • The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • The Ninth Nugget (A to Z Mysteries, #14)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Return of the Great Brain (The Great Brain, #6)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)