Start by marking “The Case of the Exploding Plumbing and Other Mysteries (Encyclopedia Brown)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Exploding Plumbing and Other Mysteries (Encyclopedia Brown)

The Case of the Exploding Plumbing and Other Mysteries (Encyclopedia Brown #11)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  960 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Match Wits With The World's Greatest Boy Sleuth A huge footprint in the soft earth . . . counterfeit money in a bird's nest . . . a threatening letter . . . an exploding toilet . . . a missing silver dollar . . . and a stolen newspaper clipping that could be valuable! These are the only traces left at the scene of ten brain-twisting crimes that Encyclopedia Brown must solv ...more
Published 1974 by Scholastic

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Exploding Plumbing and Other Mysteries

Joy
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are all fun reads that make you think. RL3 or thereabouts; so it's like the detective above Nate the Great. I have started to give these books to my eldest nephew (who is now 7) and he is enjoying them.
Mskychick
This is a placeholder for re-read of Kristen Ashley Fantastical
Maria Carmo
Another adventure with the best 10 year old detectives Encyclopedia and Sally!!!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 8 January 2018.
Lily
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ashley
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soooo dated. The mysteries are sometimes unsolvable for a 21st century kid. But Pete still enjoyed the silly, square fun.
Caleb
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked it
Amanda
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, I loved these books as a kid! I'm glad my kids are at an age where they can appreciate them, so I have a good excuse to re-read. The mysteries are quirky and short enough to keep even the flightiest of readers interested. I love Sobol's ability to give the reader all the clues they need without playing his hand too obviously. There are a couple of cases in this one that would be virtually unsolvable by a modern generation (because they deal in technologies that are now obsolete), but I stil ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Kari
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read so many of these books with Hinton in the past year or so, but finally!! We came across the one case that stands out so clearly in my mind from when I read these books myself as a kid.

(The girl in the tight skirt did it! There was no way she was playing the cello in that short tight skirt like she said she was! Alibi busted.)

Fun.
Maggie
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can never figure out any of the Encyclopedia Brown mysteries before I finish them!
  • The Great Brain Is Back (Great Brain #8)
  • The Quicksand Question (A to Z Mysteries, #17)
  • The Wounded Buzzard on Christmas Eve (Hank the Cowdog, #13)
  • Detective Stories
  • The Mystery in Washington D.C. (Boxcar Children Mystery & Activities Specials #2)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Search in the Great City (Bobbsey Twins, #9)
  • Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind
  • The Birthday Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #20)
  • The Case of the Christmas Snowman (Jigsaw Jones Mystery, No. 2)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Dress Code (Big Chapter Books)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • Genies Don't Ride Bicycles (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #8)
  • Booby-Trapped! (Clue, #6)
  • Nate the Great and the Stolen Base
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)