Start by marking “Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke” as Want to Read:
Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

One Fine Fox

Four famished foxes make fun of their brother Fosdyke, who feels fondly for fried figs, fennel, and French bread. Leaving him behind to fry and flambé, they go foraging for fowl in a forbidden farmyard. Unfortunately, the foxes find the fowl forwarned. Foiled, they return to their den. Will they ever filch a fabulous farmyard feast? Or will they forgo fowl and
Published April 11th 1997 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

Start your review of Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke
Melki
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Flipping Fudgsicles! There's a lot of F words in this book!

A family of foxes sneaks across a field, hoping to "filch fowl from the farmyard." Brother Fosdyke prefers to remain at home in the kitchen, rustling up some French food.

Fun fable with illustrations by Henry Cole that are a feast for the eyes.

description
Mark
This book had everything I wanted in it. Alliteration, alliteration and another allowance of alliteration. The characters were cute and the story was fun. The vocabulary was creative and expansive. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Sunday
Fun to read aloud. Lots of alliteration.
Lynn
Jan 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was attracted by the illustrations but the book isn’t a real story. It’s made up with words beginning with the letter F. It becomes tiresome after awhile and not cute.
Lexy D
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
omg I cannot believe i came across this. I don't think I've thought about this book since I was...7? Damn. I LOVED this book. Loved.
Sandra Miller
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genre - Fiction
This is a great book to work on alliteration! All the F's and how they are used. There is a fun story of the foxes journey to get food mixed with gibberish words that fit the text. Students can figure out what real words we use that fit those gibberish words as well as the challenge at the beginning of the book figuring out how many F's are in the story. I think this can be used for K-5 as classes work on figurative language.
Kaylynn Johnsen
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid
The book is the ultimate in alliteration, I hope you like the letter F.
Erika Arrieta
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet
This book focuses on the letter F. Some themes it covered: vocabulary, alliteration, animals, and fiction. I would say it's appropriate for kindergarten-first grade.
Pamelabyoung
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Another bookstore find from our September session. This book is a read aloud feast for show offs like Gavin's mom. Alliteration galore, using dozens of f words that will not offend, made this lover of tongue twisters practically sing the story. Five fox siblings find a different way to cope with hunger when one turns out to be a master of French cuisine. In spite of the fact that hunting does not work well on a moonlit night, his expertly prepared meal satisfies his family even though it is prep ...more
Frances
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
1.This book is full of alliterations.
2.Creates conversation about good nutrition.
3.Great pictures.

Learing Experience

Well for this book we would create a chart of all the foods that started with the letter (F).This story gives us a lot of suggestions such as fruit,figs,french bread,flan,french toast ect...
I think that I would like to introduce flan to the students as a cooking activity. flan is a custard like dessert that can be eaten warm or cold. Flan is a sweet custard that many student may f
Joanna
More than just a fun tongue twister and an introduction to alliteration, Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke is an entertaining story about five fox siblings who are left to their own devices when their mother leaves town. Four of the foxes decide to try their own hand at hunting. But Fosdyke LOVES to cook (especially French food). Silly, well-paced, and great to read out-loud.

Note to all story time-doing folks: Practice reading this one out loud at least once before story time. Trust me; it will h
Emma Daugherty
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has a funny story and includes a challenge at the beginning of the book for children to look for as many F words as they can. This is a great way to get children engaged in a story. The pictures follow along well with the story too. However, the story is a little difficult to read because of the overwhelming amount of words starting with F, many of which are very big words. This would definitely be a book for older students or for adults to read to children. Some of the words I myself ...more
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of some young foxes foraging for themselves for the first time. (Lots of words starting with F in the book!) Fosdyke doesn't go with his brothers and sisters to hunt down some chickens at the farm. Instead he concocts some fantastic meals with the ingredients at hand. His siblings disparage him, but as they continually return empty handed, they begin to appreciate Fosdyke more. For a fox is a fox whatever the food.

Fun illustrations.
Rebekah
Mar 07, 2016 added it
Shelves: reading-350
This book is an astounding account of alliteration. The letter F is famously featured. There are over sixty words beginning with the letter F in this book. As the story unfolds, the reader begins to feel overwhelmed with the abundant and varied uses of words that start with F. Just when you think that all F words have been exhausted, another string of same letter words is utilized in telling the story of Fosdyke and his fox siblings.
Nicolette
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book had so many aspects in it that made it fun! It used mostly words that started with F. In the beginning it said there are at least 60 F-words in the book and asked the reader to see if they could find more! The foxes tried to hunt for food on their own but had a hard time while Fosdyke cooked his own! They decided, after much failure, that a fox is a fox, no matter the food!
Adrienne
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
funny funny book. We loved reading it. And the girls thought it was hilarious when I would try to read it really fast. (it's basically alliteration on the letter F all the way through the book - have fun with that one :)
Jillian Reed
A delightful story about a fox who says, " a fox is a fox, no matter what they eat". This book uses words that starts with the letter f as well do a teacher can read this to younger children who are learning the alphabet letters.
Jessica Losser
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Picture Book #5
A funny book that incorporates lots of words that start with the letter f. A quirky story about some clumsy foxes looking for dinner while there's one clever one that actually stays behind and prepares the meal for them.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I don't know how she does it! A story written with as many words starting with the letter "f" as she can. Clever!
Margie
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is definately a tongue twister....read it slowly. It is a funny book!

Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, reading
This is a great book for teaching kids the sound the letter "F" makes, but my goodness it can get difficult to read. It is one big long tongue twister.
Jamie Shew
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a great find at the library sale. A book completely built on all words starting with the letter "f". One of my favorite books to read to the kids, although it is a tongue twister.
Trista
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story using alliteration. I read this book to my class to introduce the concept of alliteration.
Carole
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
One fox, Fosdyke, doesn't follow his siblings in their search for food. Instead he cooks vegetarian meals for his siblings.
Danica Midlil
What great "F" sounds throughout this whole story! Would make a great read aloud if you could keep your tongue untied!
Mary Smith
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastically fun read about foxes and food! If you enjoy alliteration this is a fun picture book for kids!
Amanda
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: word-play
This is a great book for phonemic awareness. The alliterations are great, but the book also allows students to look for other items that start with the /f/ sound that are not mentioned in the story.
Stacey
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I checked this book out from the library for my preschool alliteration unit. The story was cute, and a few of my kids were able to recognize the repeating sounds throughout the book.
Janis
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love love love the alliteration in this one! What a fun romp!
Leah Gannon
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alliterations
Ok, but not my favorite read aloud

• They Called Us Enemy
  • Google It: A History of Google
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • The Wright Brothers: Nose-Diving Into History
  • Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos
Pamela Duncan Edwards grew up in northern England and moved to the United States several years ago with her husband and two sons. She has lived in the Washington, D.C. area ever since. Her father wrote children’s stories for magazines in England and his love of children’s literature was a huge influence on her. Pamela taught preschool for eleven years in England before becoming a children’s librar ...more

News & Interviews