Start by marking “The Scarlet Stockings Spy (Tales of Young Americans)” as Want to Read:
The Scarlet Stockings Spy (Tales of Young Americans)

The Scarlet Stockings Spy (Tales of Young Americans)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In The Scarlet Stockings Spy Trinka Hakes Noble has masterfully created a heroine who is as brash and idealistic as her young country. Young Maddy Rose teaches the reader that the role of patriot has nothing to do with age and everything to do with heart.
Published October 14th 2004 by Sleeping Bear Press (first published January 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlet Stockings Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarlet Stockings Spy

Audrey Smith
I stumbled upon this title while searching for a historical fiction picture book that took place during the American Revolutionary War. I was in search of a title similar to Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco to introduce my fourth graders to both the historical fiction genre, as well as give them a taste of our upcoming social studies curriculum. With some front-loading and content vocabulary, my students thoroughly enjoyed this read aloud, especially because they were able to connect with the ag ...more
erez dachinger
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yee

Poop poop poo poop poop poop poop poop poop opp op o p op o p o p o p o p o o o o o o o o o p pp p o o p o p op o p o p o po o po p o. Pooop ppl pop op op pop po poppp op op ops po po po pop pop po po pop o op op p Lopo pop op po op op op p po po po po po p op op op op op op o poop op o pop op o po pop o op o op p p op op
Colleen
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh, it's a mildly exciting story with a secret code that's briefly captivating. However, this book is sorely lacking any sort of source notes, bibliography, or suggested further readings.
Sarah Hysong
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
We really enjoyed the artwork. Beautifully done!!!! The story was surprisingly sad for a children's book.
Stephanie Rice
Stephanie Rice- READ 6252
Book Title: The Scarlet Stockings Spy
Author: Trinka Hakes Noble

Short Description of the Book: The book is set in the fall of 1777 when the newly formed United States of America is struggling to gain her independence from Great Britain. The book is about the patriotic sacrifices that all Americans went through in order to push the British off of American soil. Maddy Rose is the protagonist of the story and she plays a vital role as a spy for the American forces. Maddy Ro
Kathryn
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my third picture book for the historical fiction week.

The Scarlet Stockings Spy by Trinka Hakes Noble and illustrated by Robert Papp is about young Maddy Rose, a spy whose father died at the Battle of Princeton and whose brother Jonathan (aged 15) is currently fighting for the Patriots in the American Revolutionary War. Maddy and her Jonathan develop a system to track the British ships in the harbor: Maddy hangs the laundry in a certain way and Jonathan takes this information back to Ge
Ali Hembree
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for older grades, advanced 3rd grade- 6th grade.

The scarlet stockings spy takes place in Philadelphia in 1777 as they get ready for the British to come and fight them. The main character is Maddy Rose who is a little girl who helps her mom in a small shop.As she does her job, certain colors she hangs on the line represent as a warning for others in the town.

With the amount of description used in this book, the kids who read this will feel like they were right there in all the acti
Jessica
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very beautiful picture book about a little girl who helped out her brother and other Patriot during the Revolutionary War. This book details harsh realities in a calm way. (Maddy's dad and brother, Jonathan who die is seperate battles.)

This book is about small actions that make a big difference.
Morgan
This book is a new favorite of mine. This book is about a young girl named Maddy Rose who uses her red stockings to warn the Americans of any suspicious British activity during the Revolutionary War. Maddy Rose sees her brother off to war when tragedy strikes him later in the war. This book has a fantastic story line and is a fun and interesting read.
Lori
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A well-written and beautifully illustrated book about a family's contributions and sacrifices to the Revolutionary war in Philadelphia. Specifically told from the point of view of a young girl, Maddy Rose, and the way she was able to secretly communicate secret information to the American rebels, just by the way she hung out the wash.
Alice
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars
4.5 stars Interesting Pictures, interesting story, history, I really liked this book. I like history too...so this was perfect!! It is a little long but perfect for a 5th Grade US History Class! Love this story!!
Kerry Kenney
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Maddy Rose is a patriot spy during the Revolutionary War. She is also a little girl living in Philadelphia, in a row house along a cobble street. I love her secret code and her courage. This is a great story and the illustrations are gorgeous.
Caryn
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book because I love "timepiece" stories!

This is a children's picture book that takes place during the Revolutionary War, and how a young girl helped the young United States in the battle for freedom from England. It has very detailed and just fantastic pictures!
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is set in Philadelphia in 1777 and tells of the sacrafice of a family for freedom. I loved the pictures and admired the little girl that secretly helped.
Lteegarden
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author's word choice creates an opportunity to illustrate from the images that are created. Takes place during Revolutionary War.
Tracey
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful imagery and prose. A great example for 5th graders not to dismiss picture books. Lots to chew on from both a historical and literary perspective.
Angie
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting story about a young girl who spies during the Revolutionary War. More mature picture book.
Ann
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
A young girl in the Revolutionary War helps spy on the British with a unique code. Nice tale of brother & sister.
Marci
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful children's book makes me cry every time I read it to my kids. I want to always remember and be grateful for the price that has been paid for my freedom.
Kim
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lovely read aloud that piques the kids' interest and a good spur of discussion.
Anita
Mrs. K
Aug 15, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Crane Wife
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution
  • You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Mayflower!: A Trip That Took Entirely Too Long
  • Twenty-One Elephants and Still Standing
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
  • Nettie's Trip South
  • Pegasus
  • When Freedom Comes
  • The Junkyard Wonders
  • Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?
  • A Story for Bear
  • Three Young Pilgrims
  • Sparrow Girl
  • The Tub People
  • George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides
  • Bag in the Wind
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy

Tales of Young Americans (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Last Brother: A Civil War Tale