Start by marking “Dragon's Egg” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Egg

Dragon's Egg

It is a rare talent, and only she can care for the Inn's herd. She feeds them, gathers their eggs, and tends to their injuries. But Mella dreams about the dragons of legend, even though hardly anyone believes they still exist. Dragons are small farm animals, not huge fire-breathing monsters. Everyone knows that.

Until one day changes everything.

A Knight of the Order of Defe
Published October 2nd 2007 by Greenwillow Books (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Egg, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

H
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a fun dragon-story adventure. I liked how responsible and goal-oriented Mella was, and how loyal and kind Roger was. They made a good pair. The adventure moved along at a quick pace, which is always appreciated, and was the kind of thing that was fun to read about. I liked their journey and all the setbacks they had and how nothing came easily to them--which seemed realistic to me. I also liked how Mella got stuck up on a narrow cliff ledge as a show of the dragon's trust; that also see ...more
Maggie Dore
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hmmmm....... I can't say that I enjoyed this book, but I can't either say that it was horrible either...
That's why its 2 stars. Not more, not less.
This book, well, didn't really hit me. The characters were quite bland. They had no color in them, so I could never relate to their feelings. They story itself wasn't quite well thought of.
Okay. This book doesn't only have it's down parts, though.
I liked the title and cover. That, I liked. That's what mainly drew me to the book. I liked the fact th
Cloie Rainilla
It was alright. However, the majority of the book I found a bit...boring.

Plot:
Mella is known as a keeper, it's kinda like a sheperd but for dragons. She has a special bond with dragons that is not found in others. These dragons are not the big ones you hear from legend, they're basically small farm animals. She tends for them at her family's inn and does this until she discovers a real dragon and because of certain events, promises to deliver its egg to the hatching grounds.

Sounds like my type
Erin
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young readers of Tamora Pierce, Susan Fletcher, Shannon Hale
I have such a soft spot for dragon books, and this was a warm, cozy read. It reminded me _a lot_ of Susan Fletcher's dragon trilogy, which I read in middle school and adored, without being derivative of those stories. Of course, "teen/preteen talks to dragons" is a plot with a million variations in fantasy, so a lot depends on how (and how well) an author does it.

Mella and Roger, the main characters, are believable pre-teens and good foils for each other. The plot, while somewhat predictable to
Angie
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
Mella is a young dragon keeper at her family's inn. Only the dragon's she tends are small in comparison to the giant dragons of old. One day she finds a dragon egg and is tasked by a dying "real" dragon with taking the egg to the hatching grounds. She is joined on her quest by Roger, the dragon slayers squire. Mella is a strong female character in a traditionally male role. She succeeds in her mission and helps bring peace between dragons and humans. The ending is a little too perfect, but since ...more
Kathy
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it
This was on Danny's recommended middle school list. It's very suitable for that age. It's an easy read and the vocabulary is not difficult. It should be accessable to better elementary readers as well. The main character is a 12yo girl "dragon keeper" (who tends to small tame dragons at an inn and gathers their eggs) and there's also a boy the same age who gets involved in a quest of sorts with her. Very clean, decent plot. I'll read the next one with Dan if he brings it home. Danny enjoyed this ...more
Christian
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This one made an excellent read aloud for my 4th grade class. A fantasy flavored story about a young girl, who is the keeper of a small flock of dragons at her family's inn, who is tasked by a "real" dragon (unlike the smaller donesticated ones she raises) to bring an egg to the sacred dragon hatching ground.

A 2008 DCF nominee, the is the only one that will become a regular read aloud in my classes.
Betsy Brown
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a terrific book about friendship, loyalty, and teamwork. Two children work together to save a species from extinction. It's a great lead-in to the Dragons of Perth series or any of the mythological fiction books adults enjoy. With a saucy female heroine, and the help of an unexpectedly aly, respect is gained and growing up to do things because it is right even when there is danger has its own rewards. A great read-aloud or indpendent read for high level readers.
Melanie Au
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Simplistic plot and little character development. Antagonist seems to come from nowehere and has a weak rationale for attacking the protagonists. However, the topic of dragons and a quest will be appealing to readers looking for a fantasy adventure. Focus is less on the dragons than the journey to return the egg.
Hanna Gilman
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
There needs to be a second book, things are implied but never really revealed. Also, Mella is a country girl but did she really have to appear simple minded? It's fine for little kids but older audience will not find it that interesting.
Ilaria G.
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book!! It was really good, and the details were in perfectly. Mella's thoughts even gave me an idea for a story!
SBC
A nice little read, although I was a bit disappointed that the mysterious history was never explained.
Julia
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! Its what got me started on medieval fantasy <3
Mark Buxton
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
My name is Mella, and I have the rare ability to care for our Inn's herd of domestic dragons. There are rumors of wild dragons roaming the forest, but no one had actually seen one... until I came across a black egg left in a cave. Unfortunately, my discovery led to a dragon's death, and I've promised to guard the egg and return it to the land of the dragons. Thankfully, Roger, the dragonslayer's apprentice, has offered to accompany me, since I've never been this far into the forest. We must trek ...more
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The storyline was interesting, but the characters were weak. I'd like to know more about the history of the dragons, Coel's betrayal, the Defenders, and Gwyn's family. The set up feels like there should be more to the story, but it appears to be a standalone novel. Mella was a complete disappointment to me - she had a cool role and could have been very badass, but instead I felt like she was rude, whiny, and fairly incompetent on the journey. Roger was a nice kid with an overdeveloped sense of h ...more
Flurrin
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
When you're watching a sitcom, and a fake TV show comes on in the background that's obviously way too simple and uninteresting to be anything more than a background event--that's this book in a nutshell. At one point even the protagonist is so bored, she plays tic tac toe to pass the time, in this epic fantasy novel about dragons. The POV character is too limited and boring. She only makes two active decisions during the entire book, the rest of the events that occur are beyond her control. She ...more
Allison
Spoiler-free review below:

I really liked reading this book. I picked it up at a library sale because anything with dragons in it immediately interests me, so I had to read it. I did not anticipate how good it ended up being and how realistic the characters were. (view spoiler) Since this book was so good, I managed to
Twyla
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Parker
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun book about a girl, who takes care of the farm dragons, runs into a dragon and must take a dragon egg to the nesting grounds before it's too late!
Kerri Simpson
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a really cute story with some surprises in between. I adored it. I need to go find a dragons egg. ;) I just enjoyed this book alot.
Katherine
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well-written, enjoyable, and heartwarming. I vaguely think I might have read it before, but if so it's been a while.
Winifred Wilkinson
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
i read it in 4th grade and liked it but I think I wouldnt like it anymore.
Simone
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was in grade four and I really enjoyed it (I also didn't understand much). I was in grade four, though.
Joshua A
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
by: Joshua.A
Dragon Breather?
Mella is a pre/teenager who has a very odd talent; she has a magic touch with dragons. The name that she is given because of this talent is a dragon keeper. She lives in a hotel but this hotel is owned by her parents. Her parents along with her older sister who is just a bit older than Mella live in the hotel with her. Mella is a bright and trust worthy girl who keeps her word. “I’m not a liar. I’m not a thief” she explains to the dragon. She has honor.
This book,
Jo
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I absolutely liked the idea of domesticated dragons, wild dragons and legendary dragons. As we have domesticated animals, wild animals and myths... and there are some myths we all would like to be true.

Another thing I enjoyed was that neither were "damsel's in distress." They helped each other as a team....even though admittedly she did not want him to tag along in the first place, but still.

Another thing I liked:
(view spoiler)
Isabella V Baton
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read Dragon's Egg by Sarah L. Thompson. The book is about a young girl at the age of twelve who finds a dragon's egg in the woods behind her house. It’s in third person, and takes place in medieval times. As well as that, the genre of the story is fantasy.
Mella's character develops quite a bit throughout the story, and the improves as both a person and as a parental figure to her bunch of dragons. Mella is only twelve years old, with boo dish red hair and an unknown eye color (at least to me.
Molly
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. Mella is a dragon keeper. this means she is the caretaker of the herd that her mother and father have in the backyard. the dragons are not pets. the eggs are used for omelets in the inn that her father owns. Don't get exited. these dragons are not the fierce, flying fire-breathing dragons that used to roam the earth long ago. No, these are just farm dragons. they have stubby wings that can't fly, and can, at best, blow a little smoke. but when a dragon slayer comes to the inn ...more
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

Mella is a keeper. She tends to the small herd of dragons that her family keeps, like goats and chickens, in the pen. Most people aren't tolerated by the dragons but Mella is special. Like her Grandmother before her, she is a "keeper" and that means that the dragons not only tolerate her, they love her.

The "farm dragons" were the best and cutest aspect of this book. They reminded me of Toothless from the movie shrunk to the size of Toothless in the books. They purr loudly and wish to
Bill Tillman
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes dragons.
Mella has a rare talent, she care for the Inn's herd of small dragons. She feeds them, gathers their eggs, and tends to their injuries. But Mella dreams about the dragons of legend, even though hardly anyone believes they still exist. Dragons are small farm animals, not huge fire-breathing monsters. Everyone knows that.

Until a day changes everything.

A Knight of the Order of Defenders arrives at the Inn. Signs of the mythical dragons have led him there, he says. Then a simple errand takes Mella t
Matthew Winner
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it
NO for our library.

Unfortunately, dragon books are a dime-a-dozen and, while kids that love dragon books will devour them up, I think I'd prefer to keep the best of the dragon books for our shelves and keep the rest for the public library.

In this case, a girl finds a dragon's egg and, through a series of consequences, must journey to return the egg to the great dragons. You see, there are two types of dragons in this story. The great dragons are that of legend until approximately 20 pages into t
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
readers advisory ...: Dragon's Egg 1 20 Dec 24, 2014 07:34AM

• The Dragon of Never-Was
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • The Secret of Zoom
  • The Dragon of Trelian
  • No Such Thing as Dragons
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • The Runaway Princess
  • The 100-Year-Old Secret (The Sherlock Files #1)
  • Captain Nobody
  • Fearless
  • Fortune's Magic Farm
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • The Magic Half
  • The Farwalker’s Quest
  • The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology Chronicles, #1)
  • A Wizard Named Nell (The Keepers, #1)