Start by marking “Road Kill (Charlie Fox, #5)” as Want to Read:
Road Kill (Charlie Fox, #5)

Road Kill

(Charlie Fox #5)

"What you've got in your hands is a rare and special treat. Don't let anyone tear it from your hands without drawing their blood."—Lee Goldberg, award-winning author of the Monk mysteries

Still bearing the emotional scars from her traumatic first body guarding job in the States, Charlie Fox returns to her former home to try and work out both her personal and professional
Published October 27th 2005 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about Road Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road Kill

Start your review of Road Kill (Charlie Fox, #5)
RachelW (BamaGal)
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. Good read. It rambled a bit; I do wish the plot had been more linear. I like both Sean and Charlie; but there was more of the same old tension in their relationship, and no forward movement until the very end. Here’s hoping Sharp doesn’t revert to their indifferent relationship in the next book.
Carolien
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charlie Fox is one of my favourite characters - complex, brave and complicated. As with previous books, you have to keep your wits about you to follow the complex plot and large number of interesting characters. The body-count is high, but the scenery lovely. I thoroughly enjoy this series.
Maddy
Oct 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006-reads
PROTAGONIST: Charlie (female) Fox
SERIES: #5 of 5
RATING: 4.0

Most accidents don't make any sense, but the one that maimed her best friend, Clare Elliot, is completely incomprehensible to Charlie Fox. Clare has long been in a committed relationship with Jacob Nash; what was she doing with arrogant biker blowhard Sam Pickering? In Charlie's mind, there is no way that Clare would have been cheating on Jacob; unfortunately, Jacob is off on a buying trip to Ireland so she can't check with him to get an
Harry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Being interested in reading series mystery/detectives I ran across Zoe Sharp during my aimless wandering through book worlds online. I admit, reading the reviews I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd like this book for the simple reason that I'm interested in a particular type of hero (principled but tempted by physical violence, alone in the world by choice but always tempted to abandon this lifestyle). Female main characters usually do not fit this model if my previous reads are any ...more
John Hancock
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to review this particular book, but also discuss the overall series in this review.
One thing I rarely do is spoil in a review, so if you're looking for plot secrets, I have no intention of providing those. Besides, you'll want to fully immerse yourself in this series, and NOT being spoiled is a large part of the fun. Zoe Sharp excels at unexpected and unpredictable plot turns.

This series overall is very thrilling to read, and also the ends of each book is very gratifying from a reader
Paullei Mumme
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pure reading pleasure with just a hint of the predictable but enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. Road Kill cemented my investment in the series not because of the adventures or mysteries but because Zoe Sharp's skill as a writer made me care about these characters. The intrigue of the mystery held my attention but Ms. Sharp's writing style captures the essences of her characters and brings them to life in the way I as a reader expect from an author.
Kay Robinson
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a blast for fans of motorbikes, tough women and the north of England. This is Charlie Fox at her best. Relentlessly pursuing the facts behind the near killing of her best friend and uncovering a plot in which a biker's club is involved. The pace is pretty relentless and the price to be paid may be higher than she thought. I could feel the wind in my hair, thrill once more in that feeling of power ready to be unleashed. First class stuff to keeps the fans awake.
K.
I know nothing about motorcycles, but the descriptions of daring races and exhilarating escapes in this novel were exciting regardless. Ms. Sharp is very talented with action scenes.

Every book in this series reveals new depths - not just with Charlie and Sean, but the supporting cast as well. It gives it a very realistic, dramatic feel, despite the unbelievable feats that occur throughout the story.
Veronica
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Another in the Charlie Fox series. Not as strong in the storyline as her earlier books but a quick read.
Woman Reading
another not-to-be missed Charlie Fox story

A major theme of Road Kill is parental intervention in their children’s lives meets the law of unintended consequences. In the fifth installment of this fantastic series, Charlie Fox, age 26, faces a fork in the road, career-wise. After her initial assignment as a close protection specialist (aka “bodyguard”) in Florida was shot to hell ( First Drop ), Charlie returned home to Lancaster, UK, to recuperate and reconsider. Her eminent surgeon-consultant
Dylan Cundiff
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic Charlie Fox affair. The story on this one, maybe because of the closeness to Charlie herself, grabbed me from the beginning. Furthermore, while I figured some of it out, I found myself screaming at the characters to figure it out, so there was some excitement there too. It was a really fun book to read, and I have already started the next.
Corlia
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good entertainment

One get attach to Charlie and appreciate her inner and outer struggles and fights. Well done. Believable female action hero.
Any Length
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another gripping Charlie Fox novel. Can't get enough of these. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. Already started the next one.
Best Crime Books & More
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, it has been far too long since I spent time with Charlie Fox in book 4, and it appears that I even forgot to review it (I know…duh duh duh…shock horror). Anyway, I decided to delve back into Charlie’s world and get back in touch with the all too fierce Charlie and Mr Sean Meyer. For those that haven’t read any of the books in the series, I warn you now DON’T CARRY ON READING! Ultimately there will be spoilers because you have no knowledge of what has gone on beforehand. Also, I might like ...more
LJ
Dec 04, 2007 rated it did not like it
ROAD KILL (Suspense/Unlic. Invest-Charlie Fox-England-Cont) - NR
Sharp, Zoe – 5th in series
Piatkus, 2005, UK Hardcover – ISBN:0749906995
First Sentence: I swung the sledgehammer in a sweeping arc over my shoulder and smashed it downwards into the wall in front of me, allowing the sledge’s own weight and momentum to do half the work.
*** Charlie Fox is trying to figure out her future when a close friend, Clare, is severely injured in a motorcycle where the driver was killed. It appears the accident
Ed
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it
#5 in the Charlie Fox series. A serviceable thriller but it lost a star in my rating due to an overabundance of motorcycle jargon. Granted the book is about motorcycle street racing and perhaps most of the jargon couldn't be written around. If you are a fan, add the star back, and be aware there is nary a Harley in sight - this is the land of the Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati and Honda. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the next series entry.

Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series - Still bearing the
Dana King
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Zoe Sharp has a knack for writing books that incorporate elements of classic mysteries and contemporary thrillers, and manages to pull off both. ROAD KILL has plenty of action, yet Sharp cleverly drops in everything the reader needs to solve what is more or less a puzzle mystery, with neither element detracting from the other.

In Charlie Fox she also has the perfect protagonist. Charlie reminds me a little of the Rene Russo character in the LETHAL WEAPON movies: tough--badass, even--but not Super
Tony Hisgett
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller, review
I get so frustrated reading these books, I don’t think I have been forced to write so many reviews for a series of books as I have for these, every time I think at last Charlie Fox is going to be given the story she deserves I find myself frustrated yet again.

If I thought the books weren’t any good then I wouldn’t be so frustrated, I would just stop reading them, but I actually think they could be great. I am probably so hard on them because I know they should be a brilliant series.

This book
P.D.R. Lindsay
Sharp indeed. This is the modern trendy end of thrillers with motorbikes, a dangerous martial arts female and lots of nasty bullies. The novel is a Charlie Fox novel, number five apparently.

Well written, fast paced and cleverly plotted, the novel races the reader along in a breathless charge to the nasty fight out at the end. Dramatic tight writing keeps the reader guessing.

Definitely popular, modern and contemporary. I am not giving the novel a star rating as I do not see why my personal
Catsalive
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed this, even with the overly detailed motorbike scenes. I can see that Charlie may bear quite a few emotional scars from her various experiences, but it's about time she just got on with the job & stopped with the interminable did I/didn't I kill someone I didn't need to. I hope this isn't going to continue in every episode. It does seem as if she's stopped vacillating about her relationship with Sean, which comes of some relief.

Given that they asked Charlie to look after Jacob's son
Jane
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Charlie takes a sabbatical from her maybe chosen career path and again it's fuelled by action and adrenaline from the first few pages. Shock,followed quickly by relief,running onto sorrow and empathy. And that's just in the first few pages. Charlie's doing a favour for a friend getting embroiled in something she has no clue where the end game is heading. Intrigue in spades,action in shovels and suspense by the bucketload. Charlie's adventures always leave me wanting more and this one is no ...more
Skip
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, e-books
Charlie Fox's close friend, Clare, is severely injured in a motorcycle riding double where the driver was killed. It appears they were intentionally targeted. Clare asks Charlie to look out for her step-son, Jamie, who is planning to go with a motorcycle group on a trip to Ireland. When Jamie's mother is found searching her estranged husband Jacob's and Clare's house, her boyfriend attacks Charlie, who discovers money has gone missing. Boyfriend Sean Meyer and Charlie join the trip to discover ...more
comfort
Once again Charlie Fox is on her own, her previous assignment with Sean and his Body Guard Firm is over and her friend Claire asks her to keep an eye out for her stepson. He is going with a gang of Motor Cyclists to Ireland, for a Meet, but all is not as easy going as it seems. Someone in a white van is out to maim of kill the MCs, Claire (her friend ) being the 2nd victim.
Whilst in Ireland, Sean joins the Group as he feels there is danger lurking.
The Cats’ Mother
Am really enjoying this series but didn't get into this one so much mainly because it's all about motorbikes and I'm just not that interested, but I liked the evolving relationship with Sean and still plenty of action. The main thing that bugs me is how horrible she is to her parents, when her Dad in particular comes running to help her whenever she calls, and doesn't ask for anything in return, but she still can't bring herself to be nice to him.
Joan
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am happy to have discovered this author, and this is the fifth in the series that i have read in the last couple of weeks. Sharp has created a likeable, believable many-dimensioned character in Charlie Fox. Road Kill, however, is one of the least interesting of the ones I've read so far. The detail is tedious and the book is too long for the plot - I finally just skimmed a few chapters before abandoning it near the end.
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another good read in the series. I like how the characters are progressing and the story was interesting as always. I'm looking forward to reading the next one and I'm happy there are so many in the series. I read a lot of books but there are a few series that I keep coming back to in between as a sure thing. This is one of my staples!
Julia
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
My favorite parts about this book are following Charlie's thought process. The way she assesses and responds to threats is a fun read for a process nerd such as myself. This point of view was drowned out a bit in ROAD KILL by the heavy handed parallels being handed out, I'd like less convenient relationship allegory and more badassery.
Merelda
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Road Kill is my least favourite of the Charlie Fox series so far (I've read the first 5). For all the previous books I was gripped within the first 5 chapters, yet I only lazily finished this novel in a week. The storyline was not as fast paced and puzzling comparatively, but definitely still enjoyable.
Gary Van Cott
I have read six of these books now (the first one was #9 and the rest have been in order). I don't think this is one of the author's better efforts. The first half of the book is almost all talking with very little action.
Linda
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great Zoe Sharp book. Great dialogue and storyline. Love these books.

• Snatched (Will Trent, #5.5)
  • The Hitwoman Goes to Prison (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #21)
  • Treason (Stone Barrington, #52)
  • The Ghosts of Galway
  • Galway Girl (Jack Taylor #15)
  • Gone Forever (Jack Widow, #1)
  • The Confession
  • Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6; Will Trent, #8.5)
  • The Hitwoman's Juggling Act (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #19)
  • Purgatory (Jack Taylor, #10)
  • Swamp Santa (Miss Fortune Mystery #16)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Bishop's Queen (Endgame Trilogy, #2)
  • Home Truths
  • Burning Ridge (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #4)
  • Death on Beguiling Way (Secret Sleuth #3)
  • Headstone (Jack Taylor, #9)
  • Stalking Ground (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #2)
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.

Charlie Fox (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Trial Under Fire (Charlie Fox, #0)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox, #1)
  • Riot Act (Charlie Fox, #2)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox, #4)
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox, #6)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox, #7)
  • Fourth Day (Charlie Fox, #8)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox, #9)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox, #10)