Start by marking “The Search for WondLa (The Search for WondLa, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Search for WondLa (The Search for WondLa, #1)

The Search for WondLa

(The Search for WondLa #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  10,688 ratings  ·  1,556 reviews
Eva Nine is a curious and sensitive twelve-year-old who has existed only in a subterranean home called Sanctuary, cared for by a robot named Muthr. Eva's great desire is to go aboveground, and her wish comes true, though not as she had imagined. On the surface, Eva goes in search of other humans--she has never met one--and soon meets both friend and foe.
Published September 21st 2010 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Search for WondLa, please sign up.
Ferret Fox i don't think that there is a known year, the book does not say what year
earth was abandoned and all we can tell is that it's some time after the
…more
i don't think that there is a known year, the book does not say what year
earth was abandoned and all we can tell is that it's some time after the
death of earth at least over twelve years after sense Eva is twelve years old.(less)

·  10,688 ratings  ·  1,556 reviews

Start your review of The Search for WondLa (The Search for WondLa, #1)
Regan
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

Lovely and wonderful!
Rick Riordan
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book makes me wish I could draw. From the co-creator of Spiderwick Chronicles, The Search for Wondla is a fabulous cross between sci fi and fantasy. A young girl, raised in an underground bunker by a motherly robot, is suddenly forced to the surface and finds that the world is radically changed -- if it's even the planet she thought it was. The story is fascinating by itself, but the illustrations add a whole new dimension to the adventure. Highly recommended.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“Welcome to the real world, Mother Robot, a beautiful and dangerous place. Now you can truly begin to live.”

You can find this review and all of my other reviews at Novel Descent Thanks for the support!

I was completely engrossed in this book from the start. The characters, the world, the illustrations - all had me wanting to know and explore more.

The Search for Wondla is about a young human girl, Eva Nine, who is 12 years old and has been brought up in an underground sanctuary by her robot
Jasmine
Oh. My. God. I don't even have the words to describe this WondLa-ful book! This book is steeped in emotion of being alone in the world, adventure, and friendship. This is like a soup, its ingredients include; a teaspoon of The Wizard of Oz, a drop of Treasure Planet, and a dash of Avatar (with the whole nature thing, and of course Rovee being a blue creature). Oh, and a bit of Journey to the Center of the Earth for good measure.

The plot is completely original, well done to Tony's imagination!
Vicky
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Take a little bit of “The Wizard of Oz” and “Alice in Wonderland”, toss in some “Star Wars” and “Planet of the Apes”, mix well by a talented writer and you’ll have an idea of this book. From the fantastic mind of Tony DiTerlizzi, creator of the Spiderwick Chronicles, this is the first of a three part series.

The story concerns a twelve-year-old girl, Eva Nine, who has been raised in an underground sanctuary by a robot named Muthr. When a vicious hunter destroys the sanctuary in search of Eva, she
Betsy
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
One Sentence Review: I don't think anyone's going to argue that the art is fantastic here, but the story just can't seem to catch up to the premise.
Selene
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I wish I read this series as a child!
Lucy
Let me begin by encouraging anyone who is thinking about downloading the e-book edition of this story to go out and buy the real thing. In hardback. Trust me, it's worth it. A book this beautiful is meant to be printed and bound for art-enthusiasts and sci-fi/fantasy nerds everywhere to drool over.

Secondly, I'd like to congratulate DiTerlizzi on producing such a brilliant, original children's story. Not only is each chapter of this book beautifully illustrated by the author, the story itself
Erica
I would have liked more consistency throughout this story. I think the concept is wonderful, though perhaps a bit reminiscent of "Planet of the Apes", and the environment is imaginative and fun. It would be a fantastic romp for 8-13 year-olds.
Personally, however, I was disappointed by the shifting nature of both Eva Nine's and MUTHR's characters and not in a way that showed they were growing and becoming new people. Rather, I felt they had multiple personalities and I never knew which one I'd be
Kendra
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
***may contain a minor spoiler without revealing any plot information***
My 8 year old and I really enjoyed reading this book together...it combined the elements of science fiction that I like; being plunked down in a completely different realm and trying to figure it out with the character, some clues and connection to biology and astronomy. This is good dystopian fiction for those who may find the genre dark, or for younger kids who might be interested in the genre but not ready for the
C.S. Einfeld
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
WondLa = Wonderful?

Meh, not so much.

I had a really hard time rating this book about Eva Nine, possibly the last human girl alive in an alien world.

There were a lot of things I really enjoyed about The Search For WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi: the main character, Eva, is very engaging, as is her "Muther" robot and many of the creatures she meets on her quest to find other humans and to escape the evil huntsman, Beesteel.

The story started as strong as any I've ever read. I
Alex
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was one of my favourite books! I loved the whole fairy tale story going with it and I think they should make a second one! It was amazing and had little grammar errors. I enjoyed this book because I love to read fairy tales so I think that those who enjoy fairy tales would enjoy this book. I recommened this book for those who like adventure and fairy tales.
Rating: 7.5/10
Parental Rating: PG
Allie
Excellent! This book had everything I think a middle-grade read should have: an interesting/relatable MC, detestable baddies, slightly suspenseful action while escaping from said baddies, warm friendships, life lessons learned, intriguing storyline, and cool inventions. And to top it all off, the author is also an amazing illustrator. Perfection!
Madeline O'Rourke
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
There's so much I objectively love about The Search for WondLa, but it didn't quite grab me—I'll definitely be continuing with the series, though!

Set in a mystery world and accompanied by gorgeous illustrations, I loved a lot of things about the construction of the novel. I loved that one of the three main characters is a robot mother, but one with emotions, who cares a whole lot about her human 'assignment'. I loved the depiction of Eva Nine, and thought that her twelve-year-old emotions were
Breanna
This book was certainly full of wonder and adventure. The characters under went quite the experience on a very daring trip full of curious and dangerous creatures in a completely new world. Or at least one unknown to us and our main character Eva.
Many questions arose for me while reading this book, and I know they will be answered soon, and that makes me even more excited to see where this story goes.
I loved the characters and how they grew to know each other and rely on one another. I loved how
Cass Winters
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a pleasant surprise. The story reads like the old Oz stories with the writing styles simplicity. The story doesn't try to be too much all at once, but eases you into the world that DiTerlizzi is creating through the changing worldview of Eva Nine. Often I can only read roughly 50 pages at a time of any book, regardless of genre, but I found myself devouring larger chunks in one sitting because I would lose track of time. The ability to lose yourself in a story is a good ...more
☠ Michelle ☠
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I first read Search for Wondla nearly a year before my gullbladder (that almost killed me along with a bleeding ulcer) operation, when my fibro combined with all my other problems was making me particularly miserable, and I had yet to be diagnosed. Books are always more special to me when read during a difficult period in my life, and I'll always hold this series dear.
Travis
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-books-owned
Wow just wow! What a great book. I loved everything about this book. It has an amazing world with so many cool and interesting creatures. The characters were all amazing and I fell in love with them and loved their development. I also enjoyed the illustrations within, which really helped envision this world. I am so ready to get to the sequel because it ends on such a cliffhanger. Great book please read!!
evelina
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations are amazing! However the story didn't really capture me, I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I will probably read the next book anyway.
Vincent Desjardins
Dana Salman
Man, no way was I gonna let this book sit indefinitely on my currently-reading shelf next to The Talisman and Sherlock Holmes - it sure looked like that for awhile though. Exams kept me book-deprived for over two weeks and then the past week I've been preoccupied with getting myself in Ramadan mode.

But like I said in my updates, I didn't really have much of an incentive to continue reading this book other than to just finish it, because this book was just kinda... meh.

I mean don't get me wrong,
Reader the Fish
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What if you learned that you are the only human living in the world? Your mother is a robot, and you've never left your peaceful sanctuary, and never seen the sun before. Until some unknown creature invades you house and you need to escape? Well, this is exactly what happened to Eva Nine, and her Muthur. Eva and her Muthur must escape from the invader, Besteel to kidnap her and take her somewhere. Escaping her sanctuary, there she meets a blue, indigo eyed creature with cat-fish-like whiskers. ...more
Magenta  Cooly
Wow! Who knew Tony DeTerlizzi could pull off a sci-fi...!
It looked interesting enough sitting on a shelf at Barnes & Noble, but I don't read sci-fi; definitely not my main genre of interest. However, the illustrations are beautiful enough to make anyone want to read it.
Man, I am so glad I did. I almost stopped and left it in the middle, but the adventure the characters are experiencing keeps the fascination up, and the writing, though fairly simple, doesn't lag. The characters in general are
Madeline Smoot
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Eva Nine has never ventured out of her underground Sanctuary where she lives alone with her robot caretaker, Muthr. When she is finally forced out of her home by a strange sentient life form unlike anything in her Sanctuary’s database, she discovers that the world she live on is unlike the one she had expected. Instead of Earth trees and animals, she is faced with the dangerous creatures and aliens of Orbana. Hunted by one of the aliens while befriended by others, Eva sets out from her destroyed ...more
Wolf
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This would have to be the absolute best book I have ever read, and that's saying something because I have been reading books since I was two years old. This is a wonderful, spellbinding, and creative novel written by the author of the Spiderwick Chronicles. The book takes place in the future, and it is about a 12 year old girl named Eva Nine, who has lived in an underground sanctuary her whole life, never having seen another human being, with only her protective robot guardian, M.U.T.H.R.(That ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 02, 2010 marked it as abandoned
Last night's trip I tried to collect things that would make for good read-alouds. We've been on hiatus since A Christmas Carol, but apparently the kids think it is time to resume. I missed it too.

Eva does something astoundingly dumb and then she encounters an oracle. I'm tired of prophecies, too tired to see if Eva realizes and regrets her stupidity.

Library copy.
B.A. Wilson
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mg, sci-fi
It gave me this warm, fuzzy, Star Wars meets Middle School feeling, which I obviously adored.
Littlebearries
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Story Title: 1/5 (Try saying "WondLa"... just try it... everyone I encountered who tried to read the cover or spine tripped over this word, it's not that it's difficult... just annoying.)
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 2/5
Ending: 4/5

Synopsis:
Eva has lived her entire life underground with her robot, Muthr. While running through countless tests to prepare her for the world above, it becomes all Eva can think about... being outside. One day, she gets her wish... but not in the way she had hoped. A Hunter
Liene
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I just don't get it.....
I really wanted to love this book and it gets such amazing reviews from literally everyone, but I didn't connect with this story at all.
Part of my problem was that I found Eva's reactions and behavior completely unbelievable. If she had been raised by robots in a bunker, she would not a) talk and act so human, and b) she would not be so relaxed about leaving the bunker which has been her entire world her whole life!
There were such deep psychological issues that could have
Dialogue and Characters Dicussion 5 4 Dec 04, 2015 10:22AM
Sword & Laser Kids: Emerging to find something missing 4 36 Oct 26, 2014 11:25PM
Sword & Laser Kids: Kids Only! 3 19 Oct 18, 2014 08:34AM

• The Art of Keeping Cool
  • Dog Church
  • Dog Church: Soul Revival on a Doggie Dude Ranch
  • The Spanish Kidnapping Disaster
  • The Wizard of Oz (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Fruitloops & Dipsticks
  • Searching for Lottie
  • The Marvelous Magic of Miss Mabel
  • Iron Tomb (Pyramid Hunters #1)
  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret
  • What Happened at Midnight (The Hardy Boys, #10)
  • Daniel X: The Manga, Vol. 3 (Daniel X: The Manga, #3)
  • Jepp, Who Defied the Stars
  • League of Archers (League of Archers #1)
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick ...more

The Search for WondLa (3 books)
  • A Hero For WondLa (The Search for WondLa, #2)
  • The Battle For WondLa
“Tiny-perhaps." Rovender kept his eyes fixed on the rings. "Insignificant-never, Eva Nine. No living thing is insignificant.” 49 likes
“The real question one should ask when presented with a puzzle is, ‘Should I solve it? Do I really need to know the answer?” 24 likes