Start by marking “Jubal Sackett” as Want to Read:
Jubal Sackett

Jubal Sackett (The Sacketts #4)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  5,474 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews

In Jubal Sackett, the second generation of Louis L’Amour’s great American family pursues a destiny in the wilderness of a sprawling new land.

Jubal Sackett’s urge to explore drove him westward, and when a Natchez priest asks him to undertake a nearly impossible quest, Sackett ventures into the endless grassy plains the Indians call the Far Seeing Lands. He seeks a Natchez
Published September 30th 2003 by Bantam (first published May 1985)

Mr. Matt
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book definitely started off slower than the other Sackett books, but my goodness, what a great book. Jubal Sackett, the quiet son of Barnabas, is a loner, a dreamer, an explorer. Like his father, he has a love for the land. He is not content to stay in the wild frontier of the Carolinas or even the rugged Tennessee valley. Jubal, virtually half native by upbringing and inclination, wants to see the great mountains that divide this new continent. The tug of the distant frontier, the lure of ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I got this audio version of the book from the library recently to listen to when I was busy with mindless tasks...or just wanted something on when I was "relaxing". I read it many years ago and recalled it as I listened. On the whole I like Louis L'Amour and this is an early title(in the story's time line) of his most "iconic" fictional family the Sacketts.

I've read several reviews of the L'Amour books here and one thing I've seen criticized in them (though not "real" often) is his treatment of
Kate Roman
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So it was that in the last hour of darkness I went down the mountain through the laurel sticks, crossed a small stream, and skirted a meadow to come to the trace I sought.

Nearly one hundred years before De Soto had come this way, his marchings and his cruelties leaving no more mark than the stirring of leaves as he passed. A few old Indians had vague recollections of De Soto, but they merely shrugged at our questions. We who wandered this land knew this was no "new world". The term was merely a
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I enjoyed this one, too, though not quite as much as the last. Which is odd, now I think on it. I liked Jubal much more than Kin, and his story is nearly as strong. I think I didn't connect very well with Jubal's goals, though, and his "dream" of going ever further west and seeing things no other white man had seen didn't really thrill me much. Which is a shame, because Itchakomi is by far my favorite heroine so far, too (though I found the chapter from her perspective a bit jarring).

Again, we s
JBradford
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped in at the VA Medical Center a couple days ago to update my prescriptions and looked over the collection of pocketbooks on the swap table in the waiting room while waiting to be processed, and I found a bunch of paperback books by Louis L’Amour. They were old pocketbooks, which is only natural, because I have been reading Louis L’Amour’s novels since I was a teenager. I grabbed one that I did not recognize as having read before, with a reason for taking it mostly being because of the pi ...more
Stan Crowe
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that this one really surprised me. I've never been a L'Amour fan, to be honest (though my mom's dad had read, I think, every last one of his novels), but I think I could get into L'Amour easily if I tried.

Normally, I wouldn't have enjoyed a book written like this: there was a high level of repetition, some plot resolutions that seemed just a bit too easy (and that were, by and large, foregone conclusions), and some bald foreshadowing that could easily have killed off any suspense b
Hannah
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It had a lot of the usual traits like his repetitive explanations of...well...just about everything. Trust me, if you missed it once, it was repeated many, many times. The other thing that was a little far-fetched was the basis of the novel. Jubal Sackett is off hunting, exploring, and minding his own business. Then he meets some Indians who ask him to go on a mission to find some of their tribesmen who went off exploring and ask them to come home. What? Who asks that of str ...more
Denise
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see why the men in my family enjoyed the writing of L'Amour. First one I've read. The history was interesting, with enough action, plot, romance, and moral characters that you cared about to keep reading. I found the spelling of the Indian names interesting, and the way the tribes made alliances, merged, learned about horses. Quick, fun read.
Jacob Aitken
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: go-america
While all of L'Amour's novels are good, not all are great. This isn't great. When L'Amour is actually telling the story, it's quite fine. But when he "preaches" it kills the pace. Remember that scene in Pocahontas where the Indian girl starts singing about the harmony of nature? Jubal and Komi (Indian girl) have a philosophical discourse on the nature of Change that goes on for pages. Seriously, they do.

Aside from that, a good read.
Victoria
As a wee little lass I remember my dad and big brother constantly reading Louis L'Amour. In a flurry of nostalgia I decided to read Mr. L'Amour primarily as a "reading bond" with them. My dad now reads Lee Child, John Grisham, or the local paper. My brother, well, he is the intellect in the family so he now prefers lofty literary tomes.

But when I told them I was reading Jubal Sackett, they both gave a sweet sigh of approval. Despite the fact that they haven't read these books in decades, Louis
Deanne
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This isn't usually my type of book, but I decided I needed to acquaint myself with the famed L L's works. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of "Follow the River" because of all the survival, journey through the wilderness and mountains, deal with Indians, learn about the tribes and their folklore, etc. It also has a hint of mystery which made it intriguing and makes me curious to read the next one. I didn't realize this was a part of a series, but it was perfectly understandable ...more
John
Since the L'Amour books featuring Barnabas Sackett (the original patriarch of the Sackett clan) are so incredibly lame, I'm surprised how much better he did at writing about Barnabas' sons. It probably has something to do with the Barnabas books being largely set in England--a country L'Amour wasn't nearly so good at portraying.
There isn't much plot in JUBAL SACKETT. Mostly, it's about the titular character exploring the wilderness and trying not to die. Indians try to kill him, Spanish soldiers
Kayla
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may have taken me two months to read this book (I've been busy with school), but I finally finished it!I started it during spring break and finished it during the two weeks of my summer break.

Overall this was a good book. It is the longest book in the Sackett series and I felt like L'Amour could have edited it down a bit. He also wrapped the book up in his typical rushed ending fashion by throwing in a mammoth (that's right-mammoth mastodon!) fight/attack seen in the last few pages.

I did lik
Laudys
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My aunt found this book at an airport and gave it to me. I put off reading it for so long, 'cause I don't really read western. I just don't find the genre that appealing... but this book. This book.

I've read it more times that should be allowed to. It's one of my default fall-to book. I just grab it if there's a prospect of me getting stuck in a waiting room and I proceed to devour it every time (and yes, I may have developed a crush on Jubal Sackett along the way).

The plot is just stuff happeni
Mandi Sanders
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
My mom read this book to us kids when we were small. We were poor. We did not have a TV. We could have had a TV but Mom and Dad believed it would not be good for us. She would pop huge bowls of popcorn and make lemonade and sweet tea and we would listen for hours. We would groan in dispair every time she would come to the end of a chapter with a cliff-hanger ending and say, "Okay, it's bedtime". We would beg for just one more chapter!!! Good times! I still love this story nearly 30 years later.
Sherrie
*spoilers*
this was my first louis l'amour book. i thought it was good and interesting to read about this time period of american history. my only complaint is that most of the book was jubal watching for enemies, "there was movement! it's an indian!" etc. that got kind of boring. also i was really intrigued by the mummies he found in the cave and the "find them" plot. then at the end, he totally leaves that plot hanging. that was a huge bummer. oh well. but i enjoyed reading it. not sure if i'll
Betty
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There is lots of action in every chapter as Juba Sackett sets out to be the first white man to reach the western part of the American frontier.
The first among many of his experiences was finding out he was being followed by an unknown person.
I especially like the detailed description of the scenery, and the people Jubal meets.
There is never a dull moment which made this a very interesting read.
Cade
Aug 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
S
So I didn't have to actually read the end of some sentences as I could predict what they were going to say. When it comes down to it, you just have to pick up a Louis L'Amour every now and then. The best part of this book - the inscription - it was a Father's Day gift to my Dad in '84 or '86 (hardback even) from my sister when she only had two kids.
Kathy  Petersen
Finally! a little - just a little - boy/girl romance as Jubal falls in love with the exquisite Komi. And there's a bit of mystery involving "prehistoric" beasts and Welsh Indians, plus the usual Sackett wanderings and ponderings.

I am shamelessly enjoying the Sackett saga. I will however leave the other dozen or so for a slightly later time.
Lorraine
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I have read many Louis L'Amour books, but this is the one I remember the most. This was an exciting story that I read many years ago and enjoyed very much. Jubal Sackett left his family home to explore America. I can't remember exactly where he went, but he saw buffalo in great herds and saw Niagara Falls and (I think) the Grand Canyon.
Scott Lyson
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"A cold wind blew off Hanging Dog Mountain and I held no fire, nor dared I strike so much as a spark that might betray my hiding place. Somewhere near, an enemy lurked, waiting."
Mary
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The exposition of “Jubal Sackett” by Louis L’amour starts you on the journey with Jubal Sackett, a yeoman, who is heading westward. You learn he is being followed by someone or something which you later you find out the identity of. In this first chapter or so you get to know who Jubal Sackett really is, and some of his family back ground. He talks about his father, his mother and brothers and sister, how they are in England and how his father is here in the Americas but he has left him behind. ...more
Marlowe
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up without realising that it's part of a larger series. In fact, I didn't realise it at all until I had finished the book and went to GoodReads to see what other people think of it. Point being, this works perfectly well as a stand-alone.

It follows the story of Jubal Sackett, son of Barnabas Sackett, as he travels ever farther west - intent on seeing whatever is beyond the next horizon. On the way, he receives a quest to find a princess, makes friends, makes enemies, and falls in l
Oleta Blaylock
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read this book before and now I regret that. This is a wonderful story of friendship, love and the magic that once lived in the frontier. I am sorry that no other books were written about Jubal and his descendants. I would like to know what happen to them and if they ever found what they were looking for. I am also sorry that there are no stories for Noelle and Brian and Abigail. I would like to know if they ever came back to America.

This story picks up not long after Barnabas has d
Nate
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I haven’t even come close to reading all of L’Amour’s works but I have read enough to feel comfortable in saying that this is one of his better ones. Jubal is a worthy heir to Barnabas (even paired up, Kin-Ring and Yance couldn’t really manage this in The Warrior’s Path) and the author’s confident and spare prose is evident from the first page. The descriptions of nature and Jubal’s thoughtful insight on both frontier life and his own nature were wonderfully rendered and never got boring. The ...more
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book chronologically of the lives of the Sackett clan through early American history continuing the story in North America as Barnabas Sackett’s son Jubal treks across the unexplored (by white men) areas of the midwest, and you end up learning a lot about early frontier times in the New World.

Louis L'Amour was not one of the most technical or long-winded writers, he was short, succinct, and to the point and had a way that grabs you into the story immediately. The descriptions
Brody Anderson
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has taken me quite awhile to finish, no fault of the books story.

I really enjoyed the story of Jubal. From the friendship with Keokotah to the awkwardly blooming love of Jubal and Itchakomi, the story covers traveling along the rivers and country side while Jubal and Keokotah move west. Describing what it possibly could have been like to always be on guard while traveling west in the early times of westward movement. There are many struggles and fights that keep the attention. Interaction wit
Kate Sherrod
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Each of Louis L'Amour's Sackett novels becomes my new favorite as I read along, but I'm starting to see a bit of a pattern forming of which I might tire. That pattern being that each novel is, in no small part, about its chosen Sackett's quest for a wife with whom to make more Sacketts to be waiting there to greet the rest of the white folks when they finally get around to settling the interior of the North American continent.

So far, though, there is plenty of variety within that narrative, and
David Trapp
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Itchkomi 2 16 May 10, 2013 10:34AM
pics 1 13 Jan 07, 2013 11:59AM
  • Nevada
  • Strike of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #40)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Carry the Wind
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #4)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Love in the Ruins
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99
“It is not enough to do, one must also become. I wish to be wiser, stronger, better. This--" I held out my hands "--this thing that is me is incomplete. It is only the raw material with which I have to work. I want to make it better than I received it.” 12 likes
“She did not believe me. "You do not worship the Sun."

"The sun gives life to all things. Without the sun this would be a dark, dead world. Perhaps," I added, "the spirit we worship is the same, and only the names are different. The message from He who rules over us all may come to each people in a different way.”
1 likes