Start by marking “The Cruising Life: A Commonsense Guide for the Would-Be Voyathe Cruising Life: A Commonsense Guide for the Would-Be Voyager Ger” as Want to Read:

The Cruising Life: A Commonsense Guide for the Would-Be Voyager, Jim Trefethen. The funniest, drollest, wisest book on the shelf for the would-be cruiser. Trefethen pulls no punchesNhe tells you just what will be involved if you and your family decide to "let slip the surly bonds of earth" and set sail. How to get ready, how to finance the voyage, how to live on your boat ...more
Published December 31st 1998 by International Marine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Cruising Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cruising Life

Start your review of The Cruising Life: A Commonsense Guide for the Would-Be Voyathe Cruising Life: A Commonsense Guide for the Would-Be Voyager Ger
Jen
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny and helpful. I will be referring to his list of good boats and boat manufacturers when we buy a boat. He sailed in a 40 foot wooden sailboat purchased for $25000 with is family of 4. Impressive.
Elizabeth Spencer
With light-hearted humor and tons of anecdotes, Jim Trefethen steps through how you can save money for a boat, prepare to cruise the world, and actually do it.

But if you don't know anything about boats, you can't start with this book. Jim assumes you already know how to sail and work on a boat. (He does suggest that if you haven't, you can take a class or beg your way onto someone else's boat.) But he has owned and worked on boats for years, so it's no surprise that he can say "This is really
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jason and I are progressing in our 20 year plan. This book was a great reminder of why we want to go sailing.
T&d
Feb 04, 2012
harry j powell
Aug 27, 2014
Jim Trefethen
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Beth
Kim Taliaferro
Jun 04, 2013
Reading
Aug 29, 2013
I was born into a family of writers and seafarers so it is natural thatI wold eventually become a writer of the sea. I am also a voyager and live with my wife, Susan, on our 37-foot motor sailor while we travel the seas of the world looking for adventure, romance, and things to write about.
I have written several books about boating and my latest, which is the second edition (but a complete
“The cruising life isn't for all of us. It isn't even for most
of us, but it is for some of us, and for a few of us it is essential to survival.”
2 likes