Start by marking “The Boy Who Ate Stars” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Ate Stars

The Boy Who Ate Stars

Matthew wasn't like anyone I'd ever met. He could be his own planet, become his own TV channel. Being with him was like sitting in a shouting whirlwind. He was a real mystery, and one I was determined to solve.
Published March 7th 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Ate Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Ate Stars

Start your review of The Boy Who Ate Stars
Hui Lin
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 11th
This book is about a story that's taking place in Paris. It's about Lucy's experiences with the 4 year old autistic Matthew, who lives in her apartment building. When Lucy's family move in, her goal was to all the neighbors, but when met Matthew, all her plans changed. Lucy found that Matthew is like no one she ever met before. After Matthew's mom explains to Lucy what autistic is she invited her to spend time with her Matthew to help him become more sociable. As Lucy spent more time with ...more
Tahmina
The Boy Who Ate Stars is a well-written novel about 12 year old Lucy who promised herself that shed get to know all her neighbours after moving into a new apartment with her parents. However, her zeal for this objective is short lived when she meets Marie and her autistic son Matthew, a 4 year old like no other, who by her own definition of autism is withdrawn into an interior world resulting from such a strong contact with reality that people can become objects. This subsequently leads Lucy on ...more
Lisa Vegan
I have such mixed feeling about this book. It bothered me because it made a fairy tale out of autism, which is a heartache for so many. However, it was well written (I cant speak for the translation) and poetic, and I do believe it got autism right.

I particularly love the sub-plot about the dog.

I love that the girl narrator mentioned Joseph Kessels book The Lion, a book I loved (although not as much as the movie, a rare occurrence for me) and is a sort of fairy tale itself.

I was simultaneously
Lily Avila
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teachandlearn307
Genre: realistic fiction novel
Copyright date: 2002
Lucy along with her family move into a new building. Lucy forms a friendship with Matthew who happens to have autism. She spends time getting to know him and understand his ways.
Sarah Hackworth
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had to put this book down multiple times to keep from crying. as the aunt of an autistic boy the same age as Matthew, this story hit me so much harder because it is so accurate to the experience I've had.
the star deduction is only because I felt like other characters were underdeveloped
Celia
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, c21
Such a lovely book. 105 pages altogether in this great book! I'm a bookworm! Great and quite realistic and brill book for reading! Great! Lovely book but I need another fab book to read too. I'm looking forward to look for another book.
Megan
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
My nan made me read this and I didn't like this very much.
Lena Morrison
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
This was sweet, but weird and confusing.
Ive worked with autistic kids before, and this seems like either a romantization of them or a true and deep analysis.
Melissa
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and inspiring
Princess Gabrielle Starkey
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
it is a heart warming book, very light reading yet can touch your heart.
Susan
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, asd
When twelve-year-old Lucy moves into a new apartment building in Paris, she sets out to meet all of her neighbors. She quickly becomes fascinated by Marie and her four-year-old son, Matthew, who is autistic. As Lucy becomes a part of Matthews life, she strives to understand how his mind works. The plot of this short novel is spare, and the story seems to function most effectively as a vessel through which to explore ASD and the idea of communication from the heart.

Kochkas lyrical descriptions of
Miss Ryoko
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I initially checked this book out to see if it was a book I could read to my kids before rest time. When I got to the library and flipped through the book and saw it had no pictures, I gave up on the idea it could be used, but I still wanted to read the book so I checked it out anyway.

The first thing that needs to be said is it is incredibly well written. The language was beautiful and at times, lyrical, such as: "We were very calm as we headed home. This time we were a full house. Francois was
Paige
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok

This book began when this girl names Lucy moves into a Paris apartment and she is set out a goal for herself. Her goal was to meet all her neighbors. During the process of that she meets 4-year-old neighbor and his name is Mathew. Mathew had autism. He was different but thats what Lucy liked about him.
When I was looking for a book I wanted something different. Something to keep me reading but not your common the guy gets the girl book. Then I got recommended this book. I did not enjoy this
Luca H
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed the book, The Boy Who Ate Stars. It really made me think about how people with autism are. and that it is very scary. Autism is really scary and can kill you.

This book was about a girl named Lucy who just moved into an apartment in Paris. She wants to meet all the neighbors, and that is her goal. A person who she meets is a 4-year-old boy named Michael. Michael has Autism. At first Michael didnt know what autism was then she figured out what it was. She felt very sad
Jayde
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lovely story of a little girl who befriends her neighbour Mathew, a young boy with autism. The story tells of their journeys together and her finding out exactly what autism is. I liked this book as it is a great way of exploring the world of an autistic child in a fun way. It differs from books that just states facts about autism making it different from other books involving autism.
This book would only be suitable for confident free readers as it is quite wordy and does not
Katie
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very touching novel. One of my best friends has a sibling that has autism and I used to live next to a boy who was autistic. I never thought this book would help me out, I thought of it as an interesting read, but the outcome I received was much more than expected. It really explained how it is for them and I am able to understand some of the things they do. Even if this story was just a fun piece, I got something out of it. It reminded me of my bond with my neighbor who would come ...more
Stacy
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written book about a 12 year old girl and her discovery of autism. This middle eastern/french author describes things beautifully and just has a difference in her writing that makes you want to just sit and absorb the words. I felt like this book should not have been located in the children section: While it IS about children, I ---it's probably a little over their heads. It was a really nice book and a very quick read. I am sure that those who are around people with autism could ...more
Victoria
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
The Boy Who Ate Stars was a beautiful and refreshing change from the books I am used to. I picked up this book at the library on a whim, hoping I wouldn't regret my decision. I was pleasantly surprised when less than an hour after beginning, I finished this story in an odd, almost nostalgic, mood with an unexpected appreciation for life. Honestly, this book took so little of my time that I can't see why any reader who is open to shedding a few tears, wouldn't spare an hour of their life for an ...more
Jessica
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It tells about Lucy, a little girl who had a neighbour named Matthew who was autistic. Lucy then had unique experiences in her way to understand autism. She cared for Matthew and she tried a lot of ways to help Matthew communicate with others. In her journey she found how their friendship taught her to see the world through Matthew's eyes. The way the book was written was simple and I really enjoyed reading it.
Afnan Aldimasi
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
What attracted me the most was Lucy's way of understanding things and planning her own missions. It is very interesting to experience someone else's unique points of view towards different situations. I also love the way she dealt with Matthew and dedicatedly worked hard to understand him.

I need to mention that I really love the design: the fonts and cover!

A Photo of the Novel: http://flic.kr/p/dTPHum
Hilda
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think this book is very interesting especially how it demystifies autism.The way the author describes how he can communicate with instruments and animals is almost magical, people who do not know about autism are often prejudiced against it and reading this book explains it more than any dictionary could; it also shows characters do not all have to be perfect fairytale characters.
Amy
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This a cute little book about a girl who gets to know her autistic neighbor. It was translated from French and does a nice job explaining autism in a very poetic way. I like the side story of her trying to teach a dog how to be a dog again, and not a spoiled pet. A quick read and very beautifully written.
Sarah Beckwith
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant book about understanding autism...it's written for children but I think anyone who works with people who are autistic should read it...it may not be completely accurate (and I don't think it ever should be used as a factual explanation of autism) but it makes you think about things in a different way.
Melissa Wilson
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great book to have 10-12 year old children read if they want to understand a little more about Autism or work with special needs children. A great way to encourage and teach others about autism and what some characteristics of autism can be.
Sam Cristol
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. Short and sweet, it's a nice story for a quick read. It has a nice plot line to it, and the even though it's translated I didn't find any mistakes. If you are looking for a short, sweet book to read I'd definitely suggest this.
Sherly Septiani
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Honestly this book bores me, the plot is too slow. The translation (in Indonesian) is quite confusing, I find myself love the original version better. Don't ever use 'autism' to yell at people, that's what the book taught me.
Toby
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Translated from the French, I learned about this book about a young girl who befriends an autistic neighbor at the Center for Teaching through Children's Books Global Fair, which featured an information session on international children's literature.
Tanti
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other, these-i-chose
I loved the main characters of this book. Lucy and little Matthew. The description of when they first met was so vivid i could imagine it happening before my very eyes and it made me laugh. It's a wonderful read, a simple and sensitive story from a child's fresh point of view.
Lillybell
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a heart-warming tale about Lucy and Matthew and their freedom, I recommend this books for ages 10+ since it is slightly difficult to read and understand. Overall I give this book 2 thumbs up and you will too.
P.
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many thanks to Donna who lent me this book - it gives people a taste into the world of autism, and how these very special children see the world in metaphors. Theirs is a fascinating outlook that reminds us how 'different' is not always 'wrong'.

• The Iron Man
  • Dear Santa
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • How to Read Lacan
  • Parvana: A Graphic Novel
  • Taken: Volume I (Mias and Elle, #1)
  • All the Things That Could Go Wrong
  • All Eyes on Us
  • Loser's Bracket
  • Butterface (The Hartigans, #1)
  • Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out