Start by marking “The Fannie Farmer Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  13,985 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Celebrating the 100th anniversary of a great American classic, the 13th edition with a new introduction by the author.
Published July 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

Randi
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this cookbook! It is my very favorite! All the recipes are simple and if you like good old fashioned homemade food that is easy to make and doesn't cost a lot, this is for you. This book will teach you how to cook. The ingredients are basic and there are many recipes for simple inexpensive dishes. A must for people on a budget who want to learn to cook from scratch.

The date is set for today but I have had this book for 5 years and I still use it all the time.
DeB MaRtEnS
The Fanny Farmer Cookbook has been around for a long, long time. I was given a paperback copy by my mother in 1972 and its tattered cover barely holds the contents of this excellent cookery manual. My mother's favourite cookbook, a thick hardcover, the source of waffle batter, baking powder biscuits and the best dumplings for a beef stew, I remember learning how to use our cast iron waffle maker in the 1960’s with Fanny Farmer's directions. THAT cookbook was left with my father after my mother's ...more
Julie Barrett
The Fannie Farmer cookbook by Marion Cunninhgam
Always trying to improve on our healthy eating habits so thought I'd listen to this book on tape about the Fannie Farmer cookbook.
So much information about measuring and how different ingredients react to liquid, heat, etc Also entertaining ideas and even beverages are discussed.
More than 30 hours to listen to the whole book. So much information, treasured the vegetable section and how to cook them differently.
I received this book from National Libr
Donna Davis
I received this cookbook as a wedding gift in 1979. The marriage didn't last, but the cookbook has remained my closest kitchen ally. Recipes are altered with every publication, and so although the cover has fallen from it and the binding is failing, I put a big rubber band around it when not in use. I have a lot of cookbooks, but this is the one I reach for still.
Jane Dugger
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous reference cookbook! This would be a great gift for a new home.
Jennie
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love butter
Shelves: cookbooks, my-library
This is my #1 standby cookbook. I refer to it for almost everything, for various ways to prepare literally any vegetable I can think of, to baking cakes, cobblers and many old-fashioned delights that I have never heard of. It is comprehensive enough that I cross-reference all recipes against it. My great-grandmother used this book, and she was an amazing cook, so I trust it for pretty much all basic recipes. I must note, if you are vegetarian-leaning, it is worth it to pick up the latest edition ...more
B.A.
Jul 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Fanny is a good staple, especially for someone rather new to the kitchen (not too new, you have to at least know the basics as there are no pictures and few drawings). If you only owned one cookbook, this would be a decent choice as it contains all the major categories. However, if you love food and you love to cook, you will outgrow Fanny.
Drawback: My edition doesn't have any nutritional information, which dates any cookbook.
Gopi
Apr 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Marion Cunningham writes cookbooks the way I would: informative, but dull; all head and no heart.

The recipes are reliable and simple, but uninspiring and unspectacular.

I'd say skip this one, and get How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. For some historical perspective and to see why Fannie Farmer herself was so important to cookbook authors everywhere, you should also have a look at 1896 Boston Cooking-School Cookbook.
Katherine
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can find an old version
Recommended to Katherine by: my mom and grandparents
I read my mom's 1960 (?) copy of Fannie Farmer over Xmas break from front to back - as if it were a novel. All the really neat parts of that edition are missing from the newer editions. Bummer. I would have liked to see a trend of old fashioned coffee made with eggshells and yolk; or cookies made with chicken fat.

Crystal
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This is really a hands-down best "go to" guide for cooking really anything you can think of. It gives the basics as well as more complex recipes. I find myself reaching for this again and again.

It would make a wonderful gift for a newly married couple or any person starting out in the kitchen.
Katherine
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, 2013
Although the copy I have is older, printed in the early '80s, this is pretty much the gold standard of basic cookbooks. I always refer back to it for things, and this is the first time I really sat down and read it all the way through.
Theresa
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is the ultimate cookbook. Everyone should have this as a staple in their kitchen. If you are ever in question on how to go about cooking something, you have a pretty good chance of finding the answer in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.
Reevesjenny
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't been reading much, but have been baking some treats from this great book my mother in law gave me years ago! I recommend the any fruit crisp! We had one last night with strawberries and apples. Yum
Robert
I have always been a fan of the Fannie Farmer cookbook. This is my go-to basic cookbook for whenever I need to read up on how to do something or at what temperature something should cook at.

I find this easy to follow and enjoy the approach taken in describing dishes.
Lynn
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a great all purpose cookbook with wonderful recipes. Although I have many, many cookbooks, Fanny Farmer, the Joy of Cooking and The Best Skillet Recipes, a gift from a dear friend, are the three that I use 95% of the time and contain the vast majority of my family's favorite recipes.
Cathy
Aug 29, 2007 rated it liked it
This is a good cookbook for vegan baking (believe it or not!) There are many recipes for things that use only one egg (which is easy to substitute) and some which call for no dairy at all. Good for pie crust, cobbler and other traditional baked goods.
Margie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I use this even more often than The Joy of Cooking for reference.
Misty
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My fiance's paternal grandmother gave me this little treasure! I have some of my family's recipes that I love, but this book is now my go to for everything that isn't in my own collection.
Anna
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best basic cookbook in America, hands down. It is filled with all the classic dishes you could ever imagine, as well as some great old forgotten recipes.
Rachel
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Three cheers for the perfect cookbook! Really. Whether you know nothing or everything about preparing food this book will come in handy. Basic techniques, delicious recipes, and Cunningham's updates are stellar. Awesome food is possible.
Mintkittytea
"To my darling daughter Teresa on her 22nd birthday. May you have many happy years and great meals. May 26/95 Mom"

It's an amazing cookbook, too.

more later
Jasmeet Kaur
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really want to read this book but it does not let me read it
Reid Wayman
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My go to cookbook for more than 40 years
Pamela
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
My go-to cookbook for all the basics.
Claire
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginner cooks; parents
I grew up with my mother's 1970's split, falling apart, taped in separated pages copy gracing our kitchen and always begged her to get another book. Then one day, this hardcover reissued anniversary edition came under my tree and I have learned why my mother kept her tattered, broken copy as something sacred.

Despite having been given so many different instructional guides, Fannie Farmer has been my go-to guide for many years. Not only do I look up techniques I do not know or cannot remember, I
Fiona
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is my go-to cookbook for just about everything.
Holly
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who eats food
Recommended to Holly by: My childhood memories
Shelves: cookbooks
So after a while I figured out that the illusive Boston Cooking School Cookbook of my mother's shelf is also the famed Fannie Farmer cookbook and I could be super efficient in my cookbookery. I found an awesome copy from 1943 in a used bookstore and it came with handwritten recipe cards for disgusting 60's food tucked in between the pages. Altogether awesome.

Everyone should have a Fannie Farmer Cookbook because it tells you how to cook pretty much anything. Roasting a chicken? There is a table f
jacky
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-parts, cookbooks
I have a different edition - the eleventh. My mother insisted that I take a copy of this since it is the same one she has and she has given a copy to my brother and sister. I very rarely use cookbooks, but I figured it couldn't hurt to take it.

I have used it exactly once so far. To look up how long to bake a sweet potato for Natalie. I still needed to call my mother though to ask if wrapping it in foil would change the cook time.

I will say that I was impressed that it had directions for cookin
Matriarchy
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My paternal grandparents gave me an inscribed copy of this when I was a teen, and it was one of the building blocks of my cooking knowledge. Actually, my grandfather's wife (a step-grandmother I disliked) was more of a Julia Child fan and did most of their cooking. But my grandfather bought this book, and said his mother had the original Boston version. Too bad that didn't get handed down. My copy was lost - stolen, really. A neighbor asked to borrow it to look for fudge recipes, and then claime ...more
Dottie
Nov 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks-food, own
While I learned a lot from Julia Child and company, Fannie Farmer was my right hand kitchen Bible and I’ve passed that along to both my girls who also have “cookbook-itis” to some extent. The younger daughter at age seven lounged at table or in armchair with this book trolling for dishes for her birthday dinner and put together a menu which has been her standard pick forever since – chicken divan as entrée, angel food cake with peach melba served alongside as the finishing touch. Skip the frosti ...more
  • The New York Times Cook Book (Revised Edition)
  • Frugal Gourmet
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, Facsimile Edition
  • James Beard's American Cookery
  • The Way to Cook
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • The 1896 Boston Cooking-School Cook Book
  • The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • The Tassajara Bread Book
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • Bistro Cooking
  • Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook
  • The Martha Stewart Cookbook: Collected Recipes for Every Day
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book
Marion Cunningham was born in Southern California in 1922, and now lives in Walnut Creek. She was responsible for the revision of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook and is the author of The Breakfast Book, and Cooking with Children. She travels frequently throughout the country giving cooking demonstrations (some with James Beard), has contributed articles to "Bon Appetit," "Food & Wine," and "Gour ...more
More about Marion Cunningham

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99