Start by marking “The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)

The Rogue

(Liar's Club #5)

Ethan Damont's legendary gambling skills have earned him a place at the gaming tables of London's most exclusive homes. He has used his dubious place in Society to aid The Liar's Club. But his latest favor to the group has not only put his life in danger-it has thrown him together with the woman who tempts him to forgo his rakish ways. Lady Jane Pennington is the ravishing ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 13th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rogue

Mojca
Ethan Damont is a gambler, constantly living on the fringe of Society - dangling between worlds - not quite an outsider, but not belonging either. This trait of his has brought him to the attention of the Liar's Club, and he finds himself the newest, and not so willing, recruit to the strange band of thieves, gentlemen, and spies.

His first mission is to "infiltrate" the household of Lord Maywell, a suspected traitor to the Crown, where he meets Maywell's niece, Lady Jane Pennington, hanging upsi
kris
Aug 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ethan Damont is asked to spy on Lord Maywell when he meets Lady Jane Pennington and things go from flirting in the gardens to masturbation in carriages to virgin bondage sex (the virgin is the one performing the bondage, to be clear) to spy game bullshit all the way down.

1. YIKE.

2. This was emphatically the worst of the series. The writing is wildly uneven; the characterization is sloppy; the pacing is even messier; the introduction of the larger "evil spy Chimera" was just a disaster: overall,
Elis Madison
Ethan (the Diamond) Damont is an accomplished cheater gambler, who has been targeted by The Liars (a bunch of spies/saboteurs/assassins for the Crown). The thing is, even the Liars aren't sure whether "targeted" means he's a guy who knows too much and is a liability

Or whether his cheating gambling skills might make him a great recruit for the Liars.

And, unfortunately for Ethan, the Liars aren't the only ones who are asking themselves this question.

Lady Jane Pennington and her mum were left pen
Ruth
I LOVED the hero and heroine in this one. The story starts off lightly enough but descends into something darker than the preceeding books. The hero is the most reluctant of spies and the heroine the most enthusiastic. The dialogue, both between the main protagonists and internal, just sparkles - witty, dry and fast. The heroine is absolutely intriguing and I love the way the author keeps you guessing about her motives. The hero is also delicious - naughty and sexy, which nicely describes the lo ...more
Debbie
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I picked this up at a used book sale a few years ago and didn't know what to expect, not being familiar with the author or series. Turns out it was really good! The main characters are interesting and likeable, and I loved that they were quick to laugh (snort with laughter in fact, several times in Lady Jane's case) at things that also made me laugh. And of course, I'm always drawn to spunky, smart, independent female characters. I'm interested enough to pick up the others in the Liar's Club ser ...more
Farshana
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly a very easy read. Ethan and Jane were very interesting characters and the witty dialogues just added to the sparkling chemistry between them.There was a bit of spy intrigue that spiced up the romance so in all it made a very entertaining read. I haven't read any other books by the author but the dry humor did make me smile throughout. The heroine was made of sterner stuff rather than the damsel in distress category that one gets used to and made a refreshing change in this genre.
catechism
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, sexytimes, spies
This was just okay. I always appreciate a good triple agent, but I didn't much care for Jane and couldn't figure out why she was into Ethan. Also there was a whole subplot where they throw her in Bedlam for her own good, and we're expected to believe that Rakish Man-About-Town Fake-Gentleman Gambler doesn't know what kind of place it is. Nope!
Robin
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I don’t usually like espionage books. This one, however, surprised me. It was easy to follow, had fun characters and a nice HEA.
Mary
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this one was my favorite. Ms. Bradley kept me guessing the whole time! And i adored Ethan!
Lea Bourg'
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fifth and final book Liar's Club ... to my great regret ><
While Jane can't wait for the Season to be over, she comes across the beautiful but terribly intriguing Ethan Damont while she is in a very embarrassing position. However, if he doesn't look like one, Ethan is a true gentleman and Jane feels increasingly drawn to him. But when she finds herself caught in the middle of a terrible tangle of secrets, Jane is going to need all the help she can have, whatever the doubts and torments
Belinda McBride
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is light and a bit fluffy. I haven't read the rest of the series yet was able to put together the bigger picture with the other characters and the over-arching plot-line. There were some moments I had to suspend disbelief, but that's okay.

The hero and heroine are quite appealing, the sexual tension is pretty hot.

It moved quickly and gave me a few laughs, but unfortunately I don't know that the laughs were intended. At one point, the hero is angsting about his lack of social status and
TINNGG
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Hmmm... I wonder if others were as confused as I was. Her father's brother dead, and her fortune changed. It took me until after the book was done to understand - her uncle was dead, so the heir who took over recruited her.

V. entertaining when they figure out they've been spying for different departments who apparently didn't talk to each other (or rather, the head of one made a realization and contacted the other right near the end).

I wanted to pat Ethan on the head at various times. It's just
Karie Westermann
Kimia Safavi
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It!

The Rogue is a great regency romance and the fifth book in "The Liar's Club"series. This is the second book I read by Celeste Bradley, I enjoyed it a lot and couldn't put it down.
The story of Ethan and Lady Jane was funny, romantic with lots of adventures. The plot was great and unexpected, the characters were believable , strong and real, The dialogue were witty and funny. I am looking forward to read more books by Celeste Bradley,her writing is amazing.

Shana Karnes
I think the first three books in this series were quite strong! The last two fell off a bit but were still good.
Alex
I didn't anticipated the ending but overall it was okay. I wasn't convinced about the "rogue" part

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Carito Cárdenas guevara
Muy interesante historia con personajes intrigantes e inusuales, Jane es una chica'heredera' q al fin de cuentas es otra cosa q uno no se espera y Ethan es, bueno, increíblemente receloso de la sociedad. .. Me gustó mucho q, aunque ninguno de los dos personajes estuviera 100% involucrado con los Mentirosos, éstos les dieran un buen final a esta serie
Celestita Giron
No podía quedarme con las ganas de termina esta serie. ¡Me encanta! Es chispeante, peligrosa y atrapante. ¡Y muy hot steamy!

Ethan es un hombre con una personalidad, juguetona y la química con Jane es como una combustión espontánea... Junto con Royal Four, Spy's Crown son una joya en este género. :)!
Shelley
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming, hot and hilarious. I laughed out loud quite a few times, and pretty well adored Jane and Ethan. The romance was almost the B plot to the spy A plot, which worked really well for this duo. The snippet of next book also had me laughing, what with Olivia's mother shoving her over the bridge into the Thames to get an Earl's attention. Awesome.
Beno
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading it. just an all together great book, completely different from the others in the series in that it is the characters are not technically in the 'liar's club' and it also introduces more characters of 'the royal four' which I found completely awesome and exciting.
Jane and Ethan are both such a great couple that I am just completely jealous.
Deborah Vespo
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I have to say is... Celeste there better be another Liar's Club. You can't leave me hanging like that!!!

^^ This is my addendum to the above message, Seducing the Spy is the next book! Yeah!!!! I found it - Happy dance!
Chelsea
Kinkier than your average Regency romance! Or, kinkier than Julia Quinn, I should say, since she's my main foray into Regency. Part of a larger series, so some of the plot was lost on me, but the plot isn't really the point of these books, anyway.
Sue
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, romance
First time I've ever read a love scene in a book like this where the man seduces the woman without ever touching her - he talks her into doing it herself in a carriage.
Was a fun read - the love scenes were excellent.
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It has great twists in it. I was not prepared for what happen. I love Ethan I felt for him with his drinking. It's hilarious the changing of the household staff bcos didn't want to take the time to learn their names. Great action throughout. Fantastic HEA.
Jess Schira
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is the second time I've read The Rouge. Both times, I enjoyed the characters and the plot, but I was also struck by the fact that there are points in the story where things feel disjointed and rushed.
Ashley
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
It's a toss up for me if I adore Ethan more than Dalton. They're both adorable in their own ways. Great end to the series and lead-up to the Royal Four.
Daisy
3.5/5
Rajasree
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
Very lovely and with an interesting twist
Barbara James
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
regency romance

• Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • The Spy Wore Silk
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • By Love Undone (Bancroft Brothers, #1)
  • The Sinful Nights of a Nobleman (Boscastle, #5)
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)
  • Desire Never Dies (Lady Spies, #2)
  • Pride and Petticoats (Spies, #2)
  • Her Every Pleasure (Spice Trilogy #3)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Devilish (Malloren, #5)
Visit me at www.CelesteBradley.com or facebook.com/CelesteBradleyAuthor :)
Go to CelesteBradley.com/newsletter for my Voice of Society newsletter.

Hi, my name is Celeste Bradley and I write "brain chocolate." That is, I write fun and sexy escapism is for hardworking women everywhere. We deserve a little man-candy, too!

Reviewers like to say I write about misfit heroines getting the man of their dream

Liar's Club (6 books)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
  • Dashing All the Way: A Christmas Anthology