Start by marking “Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity” as Want to Read:

Paul Collier's The Bottom Billion was greeted as groundbreaking when it appeared in 2007, winning the Estoril Distinguished Book Prize, the Arthur Ross Book Award, and the Lionel Gelber Prize. Now, in The Plundered Planet, Collier builds upon his renowned work on developing countries and the world's poorest populations to confront the global mismanagement of natural ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Plundered Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plundered Planet

Start your review of Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
John
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Oversimplifies solutions he suggests for use of world's resources.
Doesn't seem to take enough account of greed and corruption.
Not enough about what will happen when all non-renewables are used up and controlling world population growth.
Donald
Paul Collier writes well about economics and development of poorer nations. The Bottom Billion, his award-winning manual on what holds nations back and how they can overcome their challenges, earned him invitations from leaders around the world.

The Plundered Planet delves further into one of the difficulties identified in The Bottom Billion: the difficulty emerging nations face in reaping the benefits of natural resources. How to capture the value of natural resources and preserve their wealth
Jeanne Ferris
Dec 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Underlying some interesting arguments is what seems to me a fundamentally flawed premise--that our planet consists of resources and a single species that has the right to use them ("The oceans are not national territory; they are the true global dominion of mankind" is not the only statement of this kind in the book). Collier pays attention to future humans but ignores all other species. Humans aren't the only consumers of the fish that he discusses at length, yet he makes no mention of those ...more
Coffee & books
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars. I had to deduct half of star for something I didn't like in the book. But that is a personal view and I imagine the majority of the people will not the bothered. This is the second book I read by him and I think it's great.
I really like Paul Collier's style. He explains his views so clearly and sometimes in a funny way. Of course, he is an economist and the book is filled with economic terms and ideas.

Full review on Coffee and Books.
Nick Aurelius
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking book on tough subject that asks us to think outside jumping on the popular and or romantic bandwagon of environmentalism.
Raymond Thomas
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Collier presents an interesting account of the challenges developing states face when attempting to balance environmental concerns and economic development. Collier lays out the challenges to explore the ways in which development countries have recently dealt with the political/economic expectations of their populations and the world's growing concern about the environment. Collier spends a lot of time focused on the way that developing countries have been exploited by outside corporations as ...more
Desiree
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about our natural resources and how they are used and abused. Lots of stories from countries around the world.

What exactly should we do with natural resources? We have already over-fished the oceans, with everyone looking out for their own interests, plunder is what happens....

A country like Norway has benefited tremendously. They saved all the money they got for their oil and invested it. They distribute the income from the investments to their citizens. That way, the money
Thomas
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
In this follow up to The Bottom Billion, Collier considers the importance of environmental stewardship as it relates to fighting poverty, and discusses the realities of resource extraction in Africa. These are emotionally powerful issues for many people but Collier treats them with a measured, philosophical distance. This leads him to some positions that don't seem to sit well with environmentalism (he is FOR conventional agriculture and oil exploration) but his ideas and research methods are ...more
Daniel
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Paul Collier is a well known name amongst economists and indeed I was given this book by a friend who studies economics. It provides a completely different insight into sustainability, the environment and importantly offers real credible solutions.
As an engineer, at times I found Collier's style of writing monotonous and economic terms hard to grasp, nonetheless there are some gems littered throughout the book and it is worth persevering. In particular these three poignant equations:
"nature +
Tim
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I like Collier because he takes problems we've all heard about, breaks them down rationally, and then creates solutions. I wonder how plausible the solutions are given political reality, but seeing world leaders calling on Collier gives me some hope. I also think the solutions are more practical than radical changes (or radical denial) advocated from each of the political extremes.

As the title implies, Collier deals with the topics of resource extraction and management of global
Lauren
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More technical than I was expecting, but still an interesting and wide-ranging analysis on many aspects of sustainable development. Collier is a brilliant mind and he is able to jump between many different social and environmental issues seemingly effortlessly. My mind had to work a little harder to make sure I fully grasped the concepts. Overall, a good, though dense, read.
Patrick Morris
Jun 16, 2010 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Collier's "The Bottom Billion", and think that he did a good job of following up on that with "The Plundered Planet". Unfortunately, I think he went astray at the end when discussing ag policy for africa, and left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Julio
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ciencia, ensayo
Otro libro lleno de "bon sens", respaldado a su vez por una sólida economía. Una lectura útil, casi obligatoria para no repetir, como en nuestro caso, los viejos errores en el manejo de los recursos naturales, para que estos sirvan bien a los que viven hoy y a los que vivirán mañana.
Dknight
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Scary. What more can be said, but we need to do something to prepare for the calamitous weather we have created for ourselves. Unfortunately those to be most affected, live on far away islands and parts of Africa, where we Americans will feel little remorse.
Chris Elkjar
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book with really wide reaching implications towards providing actual solutions for world hunger. Great argument against the banning of GM crops and the general "fear of science" that seems to be prevalent today.
Chris Heidger
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
This was my least favorite of Collier's books; however, it did have some good take-aways.
Barry
If you're running a poor country and want to turn it into a middle-income country, this how-to book is for you.
Nathan
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really strong and original take on natural resources in developing countries.
Spencer Huchulak
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A road map for nations trying to avoid the 'resource curse'.
Maral Maral
Feb 02, 2019
Dominic Hofstetter
Aug 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• America vs the West: Can the Liberal World Order Be Preserved?
  • The Retreat of Western Liberalism
  • Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle
  • How Europe Underdeveloped Africa
  • L'Attentat de Yasmina Khadra (Fiche de lecture)
  • Congo: een geschiedenis
  • Unbowed
  • The World of Suzie Wong
  • The Real North Korea: Life and Politics in the Failed Stalinist Utopia
  • Pages From a Scullion's Diary
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
Paul Collier, CBE is a Professor of Economics, Director for the Centre for the Study of African Economies at the University of Oxford and Fellow of St Antony's College. He is the author of The Plundered Planet; Wars, Guns, and Votes; and The Bottom Billion, winner of Estoril Distinguished Book Prize, the Arthur Ross Book Award, and the Lionel Gelber Prize.

“But in truth, those of us fortunate enough to have lived all our lives in a mature democracy only think of elections because we take so much else for granted. Democracy is not just elections; it is a whole set of rules that limit what government can do.” 0 likes