Start by marking “Death in Zanzibar” as Want to Read:
Death in Zanzibar

Death in Zanzibar (Death in... #5)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,266 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Written by celebrated author M. M. Kaye, Death in Zanzibar is a wonderfully evocative mystery ...

Dany Ashton is invited to vacation at her stepfather's house in Zanzibar, but even before her airplane takes off there is a stolen passport, a midnight intruder--and murder. In Zanzibar, the family house is Kivulimi, the mysterious "House of Shade", where Dany and the rest of t
Published October 30th 1999 by Minotaur Books (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Zanzibar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Zanzibar

Carol ☀ Walking in Sunshine
3.5★

I'm wondering if I'm having so much trouble finding M.M. Kaye Death in series books is because readers, when they finish one of her books , toss it into a rubbish bin in sheer exasperation!

There is a lot to love, excellent (for the most part) dialogue, beautiful evocative descriptions of a country Kaye knew & loved, travelling in a time when air travel was still glamorous Zanzibar! Even the name sounds so romantic!

This is a country Ms Kaye clearly loved.

“Oh don't be pompous and gloomy,
Bobby Underwood
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you like old-fashioned mystery and romance set in an exotic locale, this is a very fun read. M.M. Kaye wrote several of these atmospheric mystery romance novels which always incorporated some exotic setting she had been to as she and her husband moved all over the world. In the forward she writes that it is a Zanzibar which no longer exists, but one she saw and wanted to share before memories of it had faded into the sunset. While Death in Cyprus, which I highly recommend, is probably her bes ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. After reading M.M. Kaye's epic The Far Pavilions and her almost-epic Trade Wind, it was a little startling to see a very different side of the author come out in this whodunnit murder/hidden treasure mystery. I felt like I was reading a Mary Stewart romantic suspense novel (pretty much always a good thing) with a liberal infusion of Agatha Christie.

I checked out this really massive book from the library that contains three of Kaye's mysteries, and read this one first, because it cont
Kim Kaso
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, classic read! Put a bunch of Brits in an exotic locale
& bodies start dropping like flies. When you need a break from Christie, give this a try. The author lived in these venues while her husband served in the British military & she took voluminous notes, so everything feels authentic. Recommended.
Hannah
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it
The locale: the island of Zanzibar, and a return to Kivulimi: "The House of Shade", made memorable as the home of that 19th century slaver, Rory Frost, in Kaye's epic historical masterpiece: Trade Wind. Now 70 years after Rory's death, his writer grandson Tyson Frost now holds the lease to Kivulimi, and is preparing to soon publish "Roaring Rory's" infamous diaries. Dany Ashton's mother is married to Tyson, and Dany has been asked to pick up a parcel from Tyson's solicitor in England before she ...more
Moonlight Reader
This is - sadly - my final M.M. Kaye vintage mystery. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them, with their exotic settings, their vintage atmosphere, and their old-school romances. In order or preference:

Death in Kenya
Death in Kashmir
Death in Zanzibar
Death in the Andamans
Death in Cyprus
Death in Berlin

I'm contemplating rereading Kaye's masterpiece - the doorstopper-sized The Far Pavilions - although I may go ahead and read her other two, less well-known, sweeping epics first: Trade Wind and Shadow of
Olga Godim
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
My geography education is sadly lacking. When the protagonist of this novel, Dany, mentioned that Zanzibar was an island, I was surprised. I knew – vaguely – that it was somewhere in Africa but I didn’t know exactly where, or how large it is. I looked it up in Wikipedia.
Dany is a recent high school graduate in England. Her mother, a beautiful society lady, is married to the super-rich writer Tyson Frost, but Dany grew up in a staid British village with her respectable great aunt. Now,
Diane Lynn
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery, africa
Another fun little mystery from one of my favorite authors. There is a touch of romance in this one. I do enjoy these mysteries but they are dated with a very meek, helpless heroine.
Barb in Maryland
Oh this was a tough one to grade.
The descriptions of the various locations, the deft handling of the politics of the time (late 1950s) and place (East Africa, especially Zanzibar itself) rate 5 stars with me. The mystery itself was a rather nice one, what with two murders, a mysterious letter and rumors of a vast wealth in hidden gold. I give that part a solid 3 stars.
I had a lot of trouble with our young heroine. Dany Ashton is so young (in age, experience and common sense) that I spent most o
Terri Lynn
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this many years ago and was delighted to run across it in my local public library. Poor Dany. Born to a rich and attractive couple, neither of which possessed any interest in being a parent, Dany spent her childhood with an anal, old fashioned, repressed aunt while her mother made her way through multiple husbands. Her father is dead.

Now an adult in her twenties, Dany is delighted when her mother Lorraine, married to a wealthy writer, invites her to visit them for a houseparty i
Retro Reads: Death in Zanzibar Spoilerland thread 44 28 Dec 01, 2017 10:52AM
Retro Reads: Death in Zanzibar Group Read No spoilers thread 59 33 Nov 30, 2017 07:10PM
  • The Gabriel Hounds
  • The Gazebo (Miss Silver, #27)
  • Darkwater
  • The Wall
  • The Wicked Lover (Georgian, #2)
M. M. Kaye (Mary Margaret) was born in India and spent her early childhood and much of her early-married life there. Her family ties with the country are strong: her grandfather, father, brother and husband all served the British Raj. After India's independence, her husband, Major-General Goff Hamilton of Queen Victoria's Own Corps of Guides (the famous Indian Army regiment featured in The Far Pav ...more
More about M.M. Kaye...

Death in... (6 books)
  • Death in Kashmir
  • Death in Berlin
  • Death in Cyprus
  • Death in Kenya
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
“Oh don't be pompous and gloomy,darling," chided Amalfi. "There are thousands of places just as lovely as this. And as peaceful."

"That's where you are wrong," said Tyson,leaning his elbows on the warm stone. "I've seen a lot of the world, A hell of a lot of it!But there's something special about this island Something that I haven't met anywhere else Do you know what is the most familiar sound in Zanzibar?-laughter! Walk through the streets of the little city almost any time of day or night, and you'll hear it. People laughing. There is a gaiety and good humour about them that is strangely warming to even such a corrugated, corroded and eroded heart as mine and this is the only place that I have hit upon where black and white and every shade in between 'em appear to able to live in complete friendliness and harmony, with no colour bar. It's living proof and a practical demonstration that it can be done.”
0 likes