Start by marking “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)” as Want to Read:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3

(Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind #3)

Nausicaä finds herself on the edge of despair as she comes to realize the full extent of the ecological destruction that's ravaging Earth. Meanwhile, Queen Kushana of Torumekia plots to lead her troops back to the imperial capital and seize the crown. Nausicaä agrees to join Kushana and her people in the fight against the Doroks and her scheming brothers.
Published May 5th 2004 by VIZ Media (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3

Start your review of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)
Jerry
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
My experience with this was pretty much the same as with the previous volumes.
Mikayla
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one alot, so far a favourite.
Asami Uchiha
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-2016
This is such an amazing work of fiction! The world building is simply astonishing and the characters are all very well thought out and portrayed. The ending of this volume left me in tears.

I really wish there was a continuation of the movie Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind because the story is so amazing and beautiful more people need to know about it!!!

I read this graphic novel for the Winter Cramathon 2016 and it completed the challenge:
-Read a graphic novel/man
Juho Pohjalainen
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The tale is growing trickier to follow, but not so much that I couldn't grasp it after a bit of thought and the occasional re-read of a page. It remains engaging and entertaining, well-written and -drawn.
Starbubbles
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
i really must say, i prefer the format of graphic novels over manga. it's so much easier to read, mainly it's because the cells are lined up in a linear fashion instead of the typical large triangle, elongated vertical rectangles, along with the square horizontal cells.

anywho- the story has really picked up steam! so glad i checked out the third one from the library! i'm totally going to have to go tomorrow to trade it in for book 4! i'm kind of surprised i like this series so much since it's s
Will
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great segment of this story. A thoughtful portrayal of war and suffering. I enjoyed the development of Nausicaa and Kushama as characters in this volume.
Nadya
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-shelf, 2015
When I first watched Warriors of the Wind, I fell in love with the story (I even have it on VHS). Then they remade it and the story changed. I loved it even more. But the graphic novels are far beyond my expectations. I am not use to reading GN, much less reading from right to left, so this is a wonderful challenge.
I am very happy that I have taken the time to read the novels though, as the story is so much deeper than just the anime.
Kirsten
This one was a little heavy on the battles and a little light on plot, it seemed; nothing seemed like it wasn't necessary for later plot development, it's just that this particular volume was a little dull compared to the ones that came before. It's all even richer and more interesting than the film, though.
Akylina
This is getting better and better. I have no idea how much of the story they must have cut down for the movie version to just be rated PG, though..
Barbara McEwen
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I hooked. I love this story.
Molly
review after the final volune
Nigel
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, childrens-ya
I think this is the one where I really fell in love with comics. I mean madly, passionately in love, because I was already pretty smitten but I don't think I had ever seen or read anything like the sortie from the besieged garrison. Rereading it now years later I think I can still safely say it is the best depiction of battle that I have ever read or seen in any medium. It is the greatest piece of action narrative I know of, at any rate.

Travelling through Dorok territory with Kushana
Jenny Clark
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: viz-manga
Another great volume in the series. We get to see a lot of Kushana's character in this. She cares deeply for her men, and in return they care deeply for her and are very loyal. Nausicaa is great as well, as she comes face to face with more evil and war.
Love it so much!
Mitchell
Art remains super cool. The story remains mostly impenetrable. It really feels like there is a story in there somewhere. Certainly too many ideas. Reading this feels a little like a torture marathon - certainly it isn't all that easy to read.
Jordan
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, manga, 4-5-stars
Awesome battle sequences, great moral quandries between Nausicaa and Kushana, all around very exciting.
Emma Lindhagen
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, sci-fi
This story just gets better, in my opinion. I can't remember if it started to be a 4 star for me in vol 3 or vol 4, so let's call this a 3.5
Chris
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I like the chocobo (horseclaw) at the end. Very cute.
Jill
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing artwork! The story is great as always. But I find myself getting bored with tall the battle scenes.

🥰 still the pen work is glorious and I will probably take more time to study it later.
Angelika Fuller
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story is still very compelling! Can't wait for the reunion!
Karen
Definitely worth hunting down the large-format versions of these (rather than the standard manga size). It make following the super-detailed art somewhat easier.
Todd Glaeser
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm consistently pleasantly surprised at the depth of story and the detail of the art as I read this.
Nicholas Siebers
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goes well beyond the movie... just read it, seriously.
Kristina
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This tale of the girl from the valley of the wind is getting intricate. Even Kuwotawa seems to be warming on me, I hadn't been to keen on him before now.
Naoé
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2018
It's the manga which inspired one of my favorite movie of all time I can only love it
Mallory (toweroftomes)
Even more epic because I read this while listening to the Nausicaa soundtrack. :)
Raj
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
In this volume, Nausicaä goes to war. She ends up in an uneasy alliance with a princess from a distant empire who is as busy fighting her own family as the people she was sent to fight. These people are using the miasma from the forest of corruption as a weapon of war, effectively cutting off their nose to spite their face, losing their own lands to the corruption.

We also see more hints of a prophecy that Nausicaä is at the centre of and the expanded canvas of the graphic novels give
Amy
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh, my dear Nausicaa, you have an enormous heart! I've changed my perspective on Kushana, the way she treated her men, such a charismatic leader, and with such brains, very nice! Miyazaki created two very very great female leads! Even though their paths diverge, I appreciate how both of them come out with their own resolution. The war is really exciting and devastating, they lost so many good man and Kai! 4 stars!
Jessi
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a little serendipitous that I found this series. I was reading another manga and saw an ad for this in the back of the book, then the next day saw these at the library. This story has beautiful art and a deep engaging story. Now, I can watch the movie. As an aside, I'm unsure how they could possibly condense this series into one movie, but I'm sure it'll be great since it's Mayazaki.
Justin
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I know I'm part of the way into this story. I cannot get enough. I originally thought that this series would just follow the movie. I didn't know that it was much much more. I cannot get enough of this story and am amazed that Miyazaki came out with this. I have always loved his stuff but this brings it to a whole other level for me.
Jayme
Much better than the second volume. This book actually picks up quite a bit. The majority of the story covers a battle between two of the peoples. Using really unique war techniques, putting the animals and pollution of the forests to work as weapons against them, and fighting to gain control over an ancient ultimate weapon. It was the most epic battle I've come across in graphic novel form.

• Akira, Vol. 5
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006
  • Berserk, Vol. 5
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (9 books)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #4)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #5)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 6 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #6)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Deluxe Edition 1