Start by marking “Jack the Ripper: Quest for a Killer” as Want to Read:
Jack the Ripper: Quest for a Killer

Jack the Ripper: Quest for a Killer

For a hundred and twenty years, the identity of the Whitechapel murderer known to us as Jack the Ripper has both eluded us and spawned a veritable industry of speculation. This book names him. Mad doctors, Russian lunatics, bungling midwives, railway policemen, failed barristers, weird artists, royal princes and white-eyed men. All of these and more have been put in the fr ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Wharncliffe Books

To ask other readers questions about Jack the Ripper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack the Ripper

☆Ruth☆
Feb 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
So disappointing! The book started well, the author had obviously done a great deal of research and was able to make a good case for dismissing many of the usual suspects within the first few chapters. I therefore had high hopes for an intelligent, logical discussion of further candidates. Instead the author suddenly produced his own contender and gave him the persona of 'Jack the Ripper', with not only no plausible reasoning, but adding his own completely fabricated embellishments and details t ...more
Wayne Stimpson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want a good read about victorian London this is for you. I enjoyed it and not like some I didn't get upset when the author names his own suspect. Very interesting.
Andrew Garvey
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
What is it with Jack the Ripper? No, I'm not asking why his gruesome killings still fascinate people. That's fairly obvious. But what is it about Jack the Ripper and writing a book about him (or her) that seems to make people lose their minds in the single-minded pursuit of proving their pet theory is correct?

Last year I suffered through the much-hyped, but emptily DNA-fetishistic and maddeningly pompous ramblings of Russell Edwards' 'Naming Jack the Ripper'. And while MJ Trow's own telling of t
Cecilia Jones
I found it interesting

The author is very detailed in presenting his theory for who was and who was not the ripper. It dragged on a bit but I did find it interesting.
Eva Müller
Long before writing this book Trow contributed an essay to The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper in which he brings up a suspect and then goes through all the details explaining why that person must be Jack the Ripper. At the end he says that he doesn't really believe that this man did it but he wanted to show how easy it is to frame somebody more than a century after the murders happened. Knowing that it's a bit odd reading this book because part of me expected it to end with a 'Trolololol didn't ...more
Oliver
May 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit-reading
I should have read more reviews before purchasing - sadly, I bought the book after reading the first two preview chapters, which were an excellent summary and discreditation of many of the ridiculous theories floating about. Almost immediately following that, the author dives into his own pet theory, with absolutely zero basis in facts, just a bunch of conjecture, literally naming Mann as Jack from that point forward. I couldn't even finish it. Not recommended.
Kelli
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it
The author seems to have it all figured out on Jack's true identity. How could nobody figure this out at the time? The pieces seem to fit together a bit too conveniently.
Brian Dyer
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting theory on who the Ripper was but falls into the trap it rails against In the first chapter of insisting on the suspect presented as the only viable suspect.
Mike
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting theory, which certainly is plausible. However, we are still far from knowing with certainty 'whodunnit'.
Kenny
Dec 28, 2011
Anthony Edwards
Nov 28, 2016
Annie Ronquillo
rated it did not like it
May 25, 2017
Mar 18, 2015
Roger Stephen Field
Mar 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Meirion James Trow is a full-time teacher of history who has been doubling as a crime writer for seventeen years. Originally from Ferndale, Rhondda in South Wales he now lives on the Isle of Wight. His interests include collecting militaria, film, the supernatural and true crime.