Start by marking “Pinkalicious” as Want to Read:
Pinkalicious

Pinkalicious (Pinkalicious)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  16,907 Ratings  ·  732 Reviews
This sparkling New York Times bestselling picture book from Victoria and Elizabeth Kann celebrates all things pink while showing readers that being yourself is the best of all. This 10th anniversary edition of Pinkalicious features a special sticker and a glittery jacket just for the occasion.

Pinkalicious loves all things pink. From fairy dresses to cotton candy to bubbleg
Published January 5th 2016 by HarperCollins (first published May 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pinkalicious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pinkalicious

Lisa the Librarian
Feb 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
The cute picture on the cover is misleading. It looks like a charming story about a little "princess" girl who loves pink.

While the girl does love pink this story is far from charming. The little girl is naughty, spoiled, greedy, disobedient, sneaky and obnoxious.

We read this story as part of a "pinkalicious" party with my nieces and daughters. The party was fun with everyone in pink and lots of pink treats, but there is no way any of my sisters or sisters-in-law would put up with the behavior
Kirk
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Racist Assholes
Recommended to Kirk by: My five year old daughter
Parents across the country love Pinkalicious, the first in a series of books by the Kann sisters. On the surface it's a fun-filled exploration of bad behavior and the consequences one must endure for dishonesty. But there's a much darker undercurrent at work here, or maybe I should say "lighter" since it is generally draped in white robes and encompassed by burning crosses.

Premise:

Pinkalicious, Middle America's favorite beady-eyed bitch, is a deceitful, thieving shit. That in itself would be for
S.N. Arly
Aug 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Oh where to start? I actively dislike this book. It's pretty much everything I can dislike about a picture book rolled into one.

1 - it's disgustingly pink, and for those trying to allow for more flexibility in gender roles, this book does not help.

2 - the parents are idiots, as in literally of low intelligence. They let their kid have numerous cupcakes and then are horrified by her sugared up behavior. They are easily fooled and they appear to let their kids do whatever the hell they please. If
Kathryn
Sep 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Okay, it IS better than "Goldilicious" in terms of a cohesive story, but I still was not charmed by this annoyingly pink-and-sparkly book with the cartoonish illustrations and ambiguous line on proper behavior. The little girl loves pink things, but can't stop eating the pink cupcakes even after her mother tells her not to. And then the girl turns pink. Instead of having remorse for her actions, she is thrilled that SHE is now pink! She eats even MORE of the forbidden cupcakes (stealing them fro ...more
Shalei
Dec 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
I decided to review this book as a warning to other moms. If there were negative stars I would have given this book a -2 stars. The cover is deceiving. It looks all princessy and cute, but is all about a girl who is disobedient and naughty, sneaking in to the pink cupcakes. She is rude and disrespectful to her parents. When the book fair came to Naiya's school, I told her she could buy one book and this is what she chose! Such a dissapointment! As I read it to her, I had to keep saying things li ...more
Laima
Oct 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Who wants to read about a greedy, spoiled, disobedient, bratty little girl?
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.
Nicole
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really did not like this book. I did not like the way the girl acted in it at all she was really rude and did not listen to her parents at all.

Summary-

A young girl and her mom are making pink cupcakes. She eats them as they frost them. When she wakes up from her nap she wants another one and throws a fit. Then after dinner she ate more cupcakes. The next morning she woke up and she was pink! Her mom freaks out and takes her to the doctors. The doctor tells her that she has to have green food
Eva Leger
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
2.5 - This is one of my lesser favorites about Pinkalicious. I don't like her attitude of behavior. Anyone who knows me or reads my reviews knows I don't "do" bad kids. Julia is an absolute angel compared to the average kid so maybe that's why. Or maybe she's an angel because of expectations. Either way, I don't deal with that stuff - she knows a punishment will shortly follow.
I'm not worried about her getting any ideas from a book with a character acting in the wrong way. She knows enough to no
Fjóla
It felt as if I'd read this exact same story somewhere else, in a different form. (Of course, there's the resemblance to A Bad Case of Stripes as well.) A little girl with a penchant for pink goes a little overboard and takes on a pink shade herself. My son (at this stage of his life) loves everything pink, so he strongly identifies with the main character. I think he was however a little put off by the way she sneakily treats herself to cupcakes after being said no. He liked enumerating all the ...more
Greta
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Not only is the protagonist a terrible role model in ALL the books of the series, but she's not funny or insightful either. I dislike the series so much that I hide them from the kids in my church nursery so I don't have to read them. I must say, I'm relieved that other people feel this way too.
For super girly-girl fun, read the FANCY NANCY books. They're the best!
Mandy
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cute book for little girls! My daughter Maycee loved it!
Kendra
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My reasons for adoring this book are everyone else's reasons for hating it: the pink, sparkly cover and ultra-girly title screams I AM A BOOK THAT WILL VOMIT FROOFY PRINCESSNESS ALL OVER YOUR 2016 GENDER SENSIBILITIES. (Wildest dreams, worry not: you may rest fulfilled!) But it is not that book, and that is a good thing.

What I found instead of a saccharine princessplosion was a funny book about a stubborn, mischievous girl whose unflinching dedication to her favorite color leads to her skin turn
Amanda Hicks
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-childrens
My kid loves this book.

Both of my kid loves this book.

I hate this book.

My kid already likes everything to be all pink all of the time, but when the main character is forced to eat green things she describes them in a terrible light.

We have been changing the descriptor words, but that will only last for so long.
orangerful
May 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture_book
After having several parents ask about this book, I decided to request it to see what the fuss was about. I was a bit disappointed to say the least.

I think the story just went a bit too far. I was hoping that when the doctor made her eat green stuff, she would resist, but then find that some green foods are delicious too! Instead, she sneaks out at night to eat MORE cupcakes and only realizes the error of her ways when she turns red. And then she "chokes down" green foods.

It would have been so
Lauren Fidler
this is, hands down, fiona's favorite book.

and i get that. it's cute, there's lot of cupcakes, and the plot focuses predominantly around the color pink.

but pinkalicious is a brat. she doesn't listen to her parents, she tantrums with the best of them, and she disobeys direct orders routinely.

yes, the book is about learning to balance the pinks with the greens and eat junk food in moderation; however, all my three-year-old seems to understand is that "green food is yucky" and that pink rocks.

so, b
Marilyn
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not wild about this book. It's fluffy, with out any real merit. I'm especially turned off by children's books in which the main characters have poor manners and bad familial relationships. I don't want to read about entitled brats with doorknobs for parents when there are gems out there to read.
Canoe
Jan 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s
As a parent, I find that I can safely say that this book is crap. If you can avoid it, do so at all costs.
Tanya
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Kassidi - was a good book about a little girl and friendship

Beginning of 2nd grade - was pretty simple for her to read; just needed a little help on a few words/names.
Brittaney Reed
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Kann, E. & Kann, V.(2006). Pinkalicious. New York: Harper Collins Publishers.

"Pinkalicious" by Victoria and Elizabeth Kann follows a naughty young girl who eats far too many pink cupcakes. The young girl had helped her mother bake cupcakes and when she is told no more the little girl decides to disobey her parents and sneaks more and more cupcakes until she wakes up and is Pink! Her mother is so distraught and takes her to the doctor where she is ordered to eat more green foods to go back to
Irene McHugh
Dec 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm not a fan of pink princess indoctrination. However, one of my nieces loves this book, so I read it with her.

The little girl is a spoiled demanding brat. When she turns pink from eating too many pink cupcakes, her doctor diagnoses her with "Pinkititis". I agree that "Pinkititis" is a disease in our society that should be dealt with, but this book doesn't even attempt to cure the problem.

The doctor tells the brat, who now demands being called PINKERELLA, that she must eat green food to counte
Sarah Sammis
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2008
You might think from looking at the cover of Pinkalicious by Elizabeth and Victoria Kann that the book is in Harriet's collection but you'd be wrong. It's actually Sean's book because it covers too things near and dear to him: the color pink and baking cupcakes.

On a rainy day, a mother and daughter decide to kill time by baking cupcakes. The daughter insists on making them pink: pink cake and pink frosting. When they are done she spends the rest of her day eating them until she ends up turning p
Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
This was a book I picked up for my daughter at one of my nephews book fairs and since my little girl loves everything PINK.... I just had to get this for her.

This little book is about a girl who is helping her mother make some cupcakes and they are pink cupcakes with pink frosting. She indulges a little too much and becomes PINK. When the doctor tells her what she must do - eat greens - she doesn't want to obey and there are consequences to that..

It's a cute read and has a moral to it, not onl
Christy
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Isabealla; Her brother refused to have a cupcake because he doesn't like the color pink. It is ok for boys to eat pink. It is not embarrassing for boys to like pink. Nothing is embarrassing to the pinkalicious. Her brother Peter finally ate the rest of the pink cupcakes he turned pink too.

[I wonder how she felt when she turned pink?]
I think she felt like she was going to be pink forever until she went to the doctor. The doctor said to eat green things. But I think she was sad because she liked
Stefanie
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I likes this more before I read the reviews. I didn't really think about the implications of certain elements in the story... I have conflicting opinions. A 3 star for now while I ruminate.

I don't think every picture book has to have a moralistic protagonist, there are plenty that don't! And children seem to realize that pinkalicious' behavior is wrong. And that her parents are useless. But maybe there needs to be a picture book that shows those families too? Oh I don't know. Still thinking.

Not
Madysenn McClure
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book, Pinkalicious by Victoria Kann, is about a little girl whom loves the color pink! She is told not to eat too many cupcakes, yet she eats a lot. Once she wakes up the next morning she realized that she had turned pink from eating all of the cupcakes! She was so happy about it and gloated to her parents about it. Her parents got so worried. The little girl had to eat green foods t get back to normal, although she did not think that would be necessary until she turned red! As a result, the ...more
Katharine
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jen
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Parents who want to reinforce bad ass behavior
Shelves: children-s
Sometimes mommy might make you pink cupcakes just to be nice, because she knows you are a pink infested brat. Take mommy's nice thing and crap all over it- throw a fit, sneak another cupcake if you can at night after mommy tells you to wait- because you never know when your bad behavior might be rewarded with turning your favorite color. Pink is boss.

Jennifer Nemo
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Description: A young girl sees the results of eating too many pink cupcakes.

Curriculum connection: moderation, colors, individuality

Personal reaction: I didn't think I would like it but it was a really good and funny story.

Visual appeal: This book is filled with visual appeal from the pink and the pink and the glitter.

intended audience: K-2
Clare Cannon
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 04-8yrs
Cute story about a little girl who eats too many pink cupcakes (a weakness I can relate to), but even though it had a good storyline I didn't like the way it was told: she's rude to her parents and they're not particularly sympathetic in getting her to do what she ought either.
Vibiana Cruz
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This picture book is an easy read and really gets you thinking. I really enjoyed the pictures and how the authors, Victoria Kann, and Elizabeth Kann made the book so descriptive. I recommend this book to mainly elementary girls but older kids could enjoy it too.
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Ladybug Girl
  • Alice The Fairy
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)
  • Olivia Saves the Circus
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • The Very Fairy Princess
  • Dooby Dooby Moo (A Click, Clack Book)
Victoria Kann is the award-winning illustrator and author of the picture book series featuring the whimsical and effervescent character Pinkalicious. Victoria coauthored and illustrated the first two books, Pinkalicious and Purplicious. In addition, she cowrote Pinkalicious: The Musical and wrote and illustrated the #1 New York Times bestsellers Goldilicious and Silverlicious. Currently she is wor ...more
More about Victoria Kann...

Pinkalicious (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Purplicious