Start by marking “Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet, #2)” as Want to Read:
Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet,  #2)

Read Excerpt

Thirteen Years Later

(Danilov Quintet #2)

Aleksandr made a silent promise to the Lord. God would deliver him -- would deliver Russia -- and he would make Russia into the country that the Almighty wanted it to be. He would be delivered from the destruction that wasteth at noonday, and from the pestilence that walketh in darkness -- the terror by night.

1825, Europe -- and Russia -- have been at peace for a decade.

Published April 12th 2010 by Bantam Press (first published March 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Years Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirteen Years Later

Algernon (Darth Anyan)
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Second book in the Danilov series, and, as the title suggests it takes place 13 years after Napoleon'a catastrophic Russian campaign. Aleksey Danilov is still the focus of the novel, with expanded roles for his son Dmitry and introducing a new vordalaak - Kyesha - into the equation. The political foundation of the story is rooted in the Decemberist uprising of Leningrad officers contesting the succession of tzar Alexander I Romanov.

In many ways, this novel is better written than the first one, w
Mark
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
As the title might suggest, this sequel to Twelve is set thirteen years after the first, in 1825.

Things have moved on a little here, not only for the reason that Jasper has again chosen a key event of Russian history. After Napoleon I’s retreat from Russia in 1812 in Twelve, this time we are focusing on the tsar of Russia, Aleksandr I, his mysterious death in 1825 and the subsequent revolution of the Decemberists.

The tale also develops from the first mainly through the character of Alexsei and h
George Papuchis
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Russian spy during 19 century tsarist Russia during the Decemberist Revolt...and Vampires. YUP

8.25/10
Thomas Edmund
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
After a not so bright review of Twelve, I wasn’t sure what I would think of Kent’s next piece Thirteen Years Later.

At least I can say definitely it was by all means better than its predecessor. The internal monologues while still present were much more succinct and didn’t detract too much from the action, which was also less clichéd and showed more storytelling skill then before.

13 has its faults. The first hundred pages are spent catching up from last novel (we already worked out that some ti
Jenny
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Thirteen Years Later - Review

Can a novel be both enjoyable and frustrating? Good and bad? If so, then Thirteen Years Later is a prime example. There were many things to recommend it but also several that could have been executed far better.

The characters were one of the positives. This time Kent chose to tell his story from multiple points of view which let us get to know more characters such as Aleksei’s son Dmitry. All of the characters were well drawn and interesting.

I particularly liked Ky
Amalie
This is a second book of a series and I doubt starting from a middle will help the readers. I read the second of second novel (the titled book) and found it difficult to follow the events that happened 13 years before ( the story which has taken place in the first novel of the series).

This, by the way, is a mixed genre novel of horror, fantasy, thriller, paranormal, history etc etc. My problem was, I didn't like when history shows vampires! Then I found it somewhat irritating when a writer is tr
Robert
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As much as I loved “Twelve”, I enjoyed “Thirteen Years Later” just as much, if not more, and if Jasper Kent can continue this excellence in the remaining sequels, then I strongly believe that The Danilov Quintet will end up being one of the best vampire series I have ever read...
Jackie Alford
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Twelve and enjoyed Thirteen Years Later just as much. The plot was intriguing and not easy to predict what was going to occur next. The ending was a little rushed but over all a good story.
Patrick Elsey
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
For some reason the author decided that everything that happened in this book needed to be described for 3 to 5 pages. Talk about padding that no one asked for.
Alissa
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
3.5 stars. I enjoyed it better than the first, or maybe I simply got more accustomed to the narrative style. It is, however, still too long and slow-paced. Fortunately, the plot is more complex and the setting as good as in book 1.

The idea of Heaven on earth brings with it, inescapably, the concept of the final destruction of earth.
Brad Middleton
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire-fiction
Thirteen years ago, in 1812, Captain Aleksei Ivanovich Danilov fought alongside a group of twelve highly-skilled Wallachians who called themselves the 'Oprichniki,' savage mercenaries who helped halt the advancement of French troops into Russia. But Danilov soon discovered that the group were actually 'voordalak' (vampires) and, believing them to be a greater threat to Russia and mankind itself, he systematically hunted and destroyed each and everyone one of them. To his surprise, the leader of ...more
Sarah McCalip
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Neil Pearson
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Much like the first book, I oddly found myself more intrigued with the setting of 19th century Russia than the vampires although this book did delve a lot more into the rules of vampires in this series and some aspects were quite interesting and fun. There's a nice little mystery at the beginning with regards to a new character that kept me hooked. Danilov's narration is still up to scratch as well and I enjoyed his views on family, country and vampires. What dragged the book down for me was the ...more
Bogdan Gavriliuc
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Disclaimer, the one i read had 618 pages.
I have to say I am impressed.
In comparison to previous book in the series, this is told in third person, allowing for more plot-development.

I really like it for a multitude of reasons.
The romance between Aleksei and his mistress,
The romance is complex in that he still loves his wife, even if differently, and he loves his mistress. I found it plausible and interestingly dealt with.

The spy-thriller side to the novel where Aleksei constantly demonstrates
Liviu
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Minor disappointment in the last 1/3 of the novel; it was absolutely great for 2/3 and it had some nice twists and turns, but anytime it went beyond Aleksey vs enemies of both kinds, I felt it went off the rails; the portrait of Tsar Alexander I was extremely unconvincing, the "science and vampires" thingy was superfluous or annoying - experiences with mirrors and vampires made me think of pulp 50's sf- the novel tried to go beyond historical thriller/adventure with vampires where its greatest s ...more
arjuna
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as enjoyable as I remember the first book being, although that may have a bit to do with all the bogged-down Aleksei-Marfa-Dmitry soapie stuff, which seems only there for the payoff (but I liked that payoff, so it all evens out). Politically interesting, and the tsar ends up a much more sympathetic character than I expected at the outset, but I'd have liked a **lot** more stuff about Iuda (LOTS more stuff about Iuda, particularly in his alter egos - he's a wonderful creation, cleverer ...more
Timothy Finucane
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jasper Kent has managed to weave a tale around one of the main historical points in Russian history. It is extremely well done and well researched from the historical perspective, and it is becoming clear after reading the 2nd in the Danilov quintet that he is becoming one of my top authors for historical fiction.

This tail isn't just about vampires, it's about being human as well, as the primary antagonist isn't even a vampire. And the vampires in this story aren't the glossy gothic teeny-bopper

Bernadette Robinson
I read the first in this series several years ago and have to admit that at the time it didn't really rock my boat. When I saw this in my local Library, I picked it up and thought to myself why not give it a go, I am so glad that I did as I enjoyed it and have given it an 8/10.

Loosely based on real people and real events, Kent has woven an alternative story around the disappearance of one of the Tsars ~ Aleksandr the First.

As Aleksei is once more faced with a foe of old, he is still allied to t
Terri
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This book, like the first, is just so ... Russian! The author clearly has a love and understanding of 19th century Russian literature and culture. The vampires in this book are of the nasty variety (no sparkling skin!) and Kent has drawn on folk tales of these creatures in the telling of his own story. While the voordalak are prominent, this book is really about humanity and the intricacies of human relationships.

I was unaware of the rumors and tales surrounding the death of Tsar Aleksandr and I
Elaine Bergstrom
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Everything I liked about Twelve is still present in its sequel -- the meticulous research and well-drawn hero -- and perhaps a bit too much more. It is 13 years after the defeat of France and Bonaparte. Soldier Aleksei is now a trusted member of the Czar's inner circle dividing his attention between his beautiful loyal mistress and his wife. But there is one piece of his past still haunting him. I think the cover gives that name away well enough. What is troubling here is the fact that, like man ...more
Keith
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror, vampires
"Thirteen Years Later" is an entertaining detailed 3 part story that seems to move slowly in places. It is a mix of vampire (voordalak) lore and speculative historical fiction. The novel is centered in Russia during the reign of Alexander I. The hero of the story Aleksei Danilov is not quite the man he wants to be physically, morally and emotionally. Alexsei has to overcome these personal difficulties and try and find out one of the novel's overall mysteries. What are the vampire's goals.

Thirteen Years Later is a worthy follow-up of Twelve. The use of third person perspective adds quite a bit of depth and color to Kent's world. The plot and events are meticulously researched. If there were some problems with pacing, it's easy to overlook. Fans of Twelve will be sure to enjoy Thirteen Years Later just as much as it's predecessor.

Read my full review here:

Rosann
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldnt get into this book as much as first one. Writing is still very good, but the author packs so much information about things that happened in Russia, I end up getting zoned out and then lose all interest in reading about the story.

Normally my Kindle is open pretty much all day..since the start of reading " Thirteen Years Later" my Kindle has sat for about an entire day without my opening it.
Colleen Haines
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jasper Kent does not let you down with this sequel to his first novel "Twelve". Though it takes place thirteen years after the events in the first novel, Kent manages to create a seamless continuation that uses a character's internal analytical moments, to provide reminders of the earlier story, and to enhance the reader's understanding of the protagonist's personality. I loved book two.
Jeff Tate
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Started out really good and then went down hill towards the end. It suffers from James Bond syndrome. The hero and villain have numerous, and in fact too many, opportunities to kill each other, but don't. Once or twice is fine, but after that the author is just stretching things out and it loses all its tension. Too bad because the first one was really good.
Zoltán Gecse
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A really great book, which was partly based on historical facts. The mixing with the fiction was suprisingly good, and gave good explanations some hidden cause and events at the life of Russian stars.

However I was angry with some decision of Danilov or some concept of the writer of the book, but these were within an acceptable treshold.

I'll start soon the next book of Jasper Kent.
Ozge
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
well it's a one of the best books I've ever read.The russian history and vampires are mixed perfect measure.The horror scenes are reaaly terrifying.But I don't like the end.I think it's so dramatical.I don't think adventures of Dimitry will be better than Aleksey's.To sum up it's a good holiday book.
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one even more than his first one! The vampire part of the story aside, there is a fascinating look at the lives of people in Russia in early 1800s and the intrigues on the Russian Tsars.
edifanob
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, 2011-reads
What a great read! The mix of historical facts of Russian history supernatural horror is brilliant. I have been emotionally touched by Aleksei Ivanovich Danilov's fate.
The second book in the Danilov Quintet is more than a worth sequel.

Full review in progress
Mitch
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good sequel. It will be quite a contrived next book though after the end of this one. Little things let it down. Probably should have ended 70 pages sooner. Having said that I will read the next one as soon as I can get my hands on it! :)
Around the Year i...: Thirteen Years Later, by Jasper Kent 2 16 Oct 20, 2016 11:22AM
[spoiler alert] Question about the end 1 6 Aug 21, 2012 05:22AM

• Fenrir (The Wolfsangel Cycle #2)
  • The Office of Shadow
  • Blue and Gold
  • The Noise Within (Noise #1)
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Return of the Magus: A Supernatural Magic Thriller Trilogy (The Sacred Quest Trilogy #3)
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • The World on Blood
  • Corvus (The Macht, #2)
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)
  • Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero
  • One Last Summer
  • Midsummer Night (Aetherial Tales, #2)
  • The Outcast Blade (The Assassini, #2)
  • Revenge of the Vampir King (Thrones of Blood, Volume 1)
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)
Jasper Kent was born in Worcestershire, England in 1968. He attended King Edward's School, Birmingham and went on to study Natural Sciences at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, specializing in physics.

Jasper has spent almost twenty years working as a software engineer in the UK and in Europe, whilst also working on writing both fiction and music. In that time, he has produced the novels Twelve, Thirteen Ye

Danilov Quintet (5 books)
  • Twelve (The Danilov Quintet, #1)
  • The Third Section (The Danilov Quintet,  #3)
  • The People's Will (The Danilov Quintet, #4)
  • The Last Rite (Danilov Quintet, #5)