Start by marking “Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)” as Want to Read:
Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)

Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  2,692 Ratings  ·  293 Reviews
A German Shepherd police dog witnesses a murder and if his owner--an Iraq war vet and former cop-turned-thief--is convicted of the crime, the dog could be put down. Few rival Andy Carpenter's affection for dogs, and he decides to represent the poor canine. As Andy struggles to convince a judge that this dog should be set free, he discovers that the dog and his owner have b ...more
Published August 25th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Tags, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Tags

Freda Malone
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoy the way David Rosenfelt writes his stories. I like that he incorporated canines and keeps Andy Carpenter on his toes. The stories are starting to feel similar now (this is the 8th book in this series) and there is a certain uniformed dialogue. It begins with Andy refusing to take a case, ends up taking the case, puts his team and himself in danger, digs deeper to exonerate his client, and by some miracle is able to not only solve the crime but gets his client a huge amount of mone ...more
Minty McBunny
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, april-2015
Rosenfelt is nothing if not reliable. Each time I pick up a book in the Andy Carenter series, I am treated to a fast-paced, entertaining, witty & enjoyable legal thriller with a side of dog-lover. This book was better than the previous one in the series, not as great as some, but certainly a good yarn. I enjoyed it a great deal.
Cindy
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Re-readable & I have. One of my favorite author's. In print or audio he's interesting, amusing & doesn't write nearly fast enough. This series is his most popular. Reader, Grover Gardner, is Andy Carpenter the same way Lew Cariou is Harry Bosch in Michael Connelly's series. Perfect voice to character matches in interesting, often compelling, storylines.Recommended! ©2010
Erin L
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pets, legal
With a premise of an attorney who is willing to do the unusual to get attention and/or cases, the Andy Carpenter series by David Rosenfelt is a winner. I love the focus on dogs. I love that he's actually had a dog as a client in a normal courtroom.

These books are fun, legal mysteries. In the eighth books, an ex-military member is suspected of being a murderer. That he'd trained his dog to steal is a mark against him in court and Andy has his work cut out for him in this particular case. People
Francisco
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: courtroom
The odds of the case are against the defendant. The prosecution presents a case full proof until something, about close to the end of the book, finds the defendant innocent. Until then Andy Carpenter agonizes over the evidence; but none more so than the defendant (that Andy is sure). If you like dogs and conspiracies, this book is for you.
Mary Gramlich
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This story keeps you guessing, reading and amazed all at the same time

Andy Carpenter is sure he knows everything about himself; he wealthy enough to choose who he will represent, he loves his girlfriend Laurie Collins and he is a dog lunatic especially where his beloved Tara is concerned. He is not sure how he would rank those in importance but he is pretty sure Laurie would win this competition but Tara is a sweetheart. What Andy also knows is he really does not like to work much but keeps gett
Stacy
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this is his best although the first "dog" named books he wrote infuriated me because he is supposed to be this big time dog lover and was writing of "chewies"- leather pieces that eventually dry out and shrink in a dogs intestines and can kill it mercilessly with an agonising death so most dog lovers hate them and he keeps writing about using tennis balls to play with a large dog, which , if they bounce back hard on a grab like my German Shepherd did once, they stick in the throat and ca ...more
Marcia
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, kindle, library, x2014
Books in the Andy Carpenter series never disappoint especially when a dog is at the center of the action. Milo, a German Shepherd, more than earns his doggie treats in this one!

Opening Lines
It felt so much like being a cop. The fact that the two occupations were so similar was an irony that was never lost on Billy Zimmerman, who was certainly in a unique position to know. Until three years ago, he was a cop. Now he was a thief.

Andy on sports...
My attitude toward sports has evolved as I've grown
Spinster
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spinster by: previous books by the author
Shelves: mystery
Only way to improve the series is to throw in a cat or two. :)
Jim
Another fun legal mystery. This one stars a retired cop, a dog. Fun & interesting. Well read, perfect to listen to while mowing & weeding. On to the next. Only 2 more to go.
Jmlwallis
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the story of Billy and Milo. It was a really touching story. It was also well written.
Opa
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
It has been fun binge reading Rosenfelt's books. I am not done yet. Thank you Cathy for turning me on to this author.
Nancy
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
When things get a little intense and depressing in the world at large (which they seem to be doing with frequency lately) I like to slip into an Andy Carpenter book to just take a break. Now, you may wonder how a book about a man falsely accused of murder in a plot hinging on multiple mass murders, international markets manipulation and amoral crime in general could be an escape. But, with Rosenfelt's charmingly somewhat snarky lawyer with a heart of gold and one awesome dog, Tara, we can rest a ...more
Mayda
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, thrillers, dogs
An ex-cop and war veteran and his retired police dog have a new career - thievery. But when Billy is arrested for a murder he didn't commit, he'll need more than his faithful dog Milo to get him off. Enter Andy Carpenter, relunctant lawyer and dog lover. But he's the right person leading the team that with a lot of work and even more luck, may just be able to free Billy from prison. A well-told tale with great characters and a sprinkling of humor, this thriller will keep you turning pages.
Lynda
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this one, Andy is defending Billy Zimmerman, an ex-cop and veteran who became a thief with his military dog, Milo. The investigation takes him to Billy's time in Iraq and gets much more complicated there!
Another great mystery.
Fanona
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
too many repetitive parts that are VERBATIM from other books in the series. also needed better editing. they reference a character in present tense that's not introduced till several stories later in the series!
Cindy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read!

Rosenfelt salutes veterans in this fast paced read. He also highlights troubling insights into big government overreach and investment greed. While hitting on some big issues in a murder trial setting, Andy Carpenter becomes more likable with every book.
Jaymie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid mystery. Some grey areas in this one make for an interesting case.
Arizonagirl
Andy Carpenter series, Book #8. An ex-cop-turned-thief and his German Shepherd are caught at the scene of a murder. The dog grabbed the envelope the murdered man was holding and disappears. The ex-cop is not worried and believes his innocence will prevail, but it is up to Andy to figure out what is really going on to prove his client's innocence.
Keith Lytton
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun book that tied together well at the end...but his normally do...moving on to the next one!
Lindy MacLaine
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Get the audio version! Narrator Grover Gardner is awesome!
Creative_Mii
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intense fun read. Definitely one of the better ones.
Alaina
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Love the characters
Gina Jermasek
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dog lovers will love the Andy Carpenter series. If he keeps writing them I'll keep reading them.
Melissa Kayden
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Another typical Carpenter book, but this one almost tried a little too hard to fit too much into one book. Still a fun, fast read.
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I continue you enjoy this series. I listen them at work. The narrator is captivating and really brings this story to life.
Heather
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dog Tags is author David Rosenfelt’s eighth comic legal thriller in this series and it picks up several months after New Tricks ended. Andy Carpenter is a defense attorney who can afford to be picky about the cases he chooses to take on because he inherited a rather large sum of money when his father died. He has also made a small fortune on his own by taking on a few high profile cases over the years. When his detective friend Pete calls him in to check out an ex-cop/ war veteran friend of his ...more
Shazza Maddog
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Mr. Rosenfelt came recently to speak at our main library and was an amazingly engaging speaker. And, after the talk, I figured I ought to read a couple of his books. So. Dog Tags.

Billy Zimmerman is an Iraqi veteran. Discharged from the MPs having his leg blown off in Iraq, he returned to the States only to find out that he'd no longer even be able to be a beat cop, despite his speed and agility with his prosthesis. Retiring, along with his dog, Milo, who'd served with him in Iraq, Billy takes up
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was randomly searching for something to read and ended up beginning this Andy Carpenter series. Usually I avoid series, because the stories tend to get stale (Alex Cross, anyone?). I have definitely started to notice this with this series of books. By the last one in the series (#7, New Tricks), the novels were following a definite pattern: Andy is reluctant to take the case, he takes the case, it looks bad for his client, he gets his client off, then there's a twist at the end to resolve all ...more
Teena in Toronto
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Billy is an ex-cop and Iraq war vet, who lost his leg in a bombing. Since he has been back in the States, he hasn't been able to get a job so turns to stealing along with his ex-partner, his dog Milo. One night, Billy's ex-boss in Iraq is murdered and Billy is found next to the body and his fingerprints are on the gun. No one believes Billy when he says he had tried to save the victim and he is arrested. Milo had run off and was put in a shelter when he was found.

Andy is a dog-loving lawyer. His
  • The Sound and the Furry (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #6)
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • Gun Shy (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #3)
  • Ten Little Bloodhounds
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Flipping Out (Lomax & Biggs, #3)
  • The Case of the Golddigger's Purse
  • Trail Of Blood (Theresa MacLean #3)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By
More about David Rosenfelt...

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)
  • Unleashed (Andy Carpenter #11)
“Colonel Mickelson looks like he could defend Fort Hamilton by himself if Staten Island ever declared war and invaded...
If Jack Nicholson looked like this when he yelled that Tom Cruise couldn't handle the truth, Cruise would have said, "Yes, you're right, I'm sorry. My bad.”
9 likes