Start by marking “Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6)” as Want to Read:
Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6)

Junkyard Dogs

(Walt Longmire #6)

Read Craig Johnson's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

A missing thumb and dead developers are only the beginning for Sheriff Walt Longmire

It's a volatile new economy in Durant, Wyoming, where the owners of a multi-million dollar development of ranchettes want to get rid of the adjacent junk-yard. When a severed thumb is discovered in the yard, conflicts
Published May 27th 2010 by Viking (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Junkyard Dogs, please sign up.
John Junkyard dogs was excellent. One of the best. I have read the series in order. It's helpful to read these in order since although each book stands on…moreJunkyard dogs was excellent. One of the best. I have read the series in order. It's helpful to read these in order since although each book stands on its own, they nevertheless refer back to previous books and events. It's a wonderful series if you haven't read any of them yet. The characters are the same as in the TV series, but the story lines are completely different. The books are much better.(less)

carol.
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Longmire, Wyoming, junkyards
So, I'm kind of over-indulging in books during winter break. Safe to say that this Walt Longmire is better than the prior. Nice small-town atmosphere, nice characterization, funny threads of humor. Kind of sad, however, to see Walt outwitted rather frequently. At least Henry knows the score.

Updated review (because I'm just that ocd about reviewing):

The sixth book in the series featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire is a lot of fun, and brings life back into the Longmire series. It has to be hard being
Algernon
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013

I was afraid the Walt Longmire series was losing steam after book four experimented with extensive flashbacks from the Vietnam war and book five experimented with new locations and new characters. Both no. 4 and no. 5 focused almost exclusively on Walt, not a bad thing in itself, but I missed the rest of the team from the Absaroka County Sheriff Department. And I missed the lighter tone, the jokes, the sarcasm and the easy friendship between the Sheriff and his deputies. Luckily for me and for m
Carol
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, series
The Hook - The cover alone influenced me to read this book. Add that it’s the sixth in the first-rate Sheriff Walt Longmire Mystery Series and I found a way to spend an easy reading day.

”description/

The Line”To each man, his own paradise.”

The Sinker – It’s a godawful winter in Absaroka County Wyoming, worse than the winter we just experienced in the East, if you need a picture. 2 weeks of deep-freezing temps with no hint of a reprieve. No wonder the Sheriff is a bit grumpy. His mood is going to get worse
Scott
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
As I continue my Longmire series read, full disclosure requires that I openly admit I am a devoted fan of the Longmire television show (on A/E and now Netflix) and have enjoyed reading the previous books in the Longmire book series that inspired that show even more. With that said, I am still doing my best to provide objective and an honest review.

“Junkyard Dogs” is the sixth book in the “Longmire” mystery series, continuing the fictional adventures of Walt Longmire, Sheriff of Absaroka County,
Mark
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the better western/police story
Recommended to Mark by: The TV show.
Another tale of Walt Longmire and his deputies this time concerning a dynasty of Junkyard proprietors. When longmire gets involved it is all an accident which quickly turns into the next situation that involves some more violence, followed by a fatal encounter that takes a live. Add a jailbreak ending in murder and you'll find that Sheriff Waltmire has his hands full with a murder investigation while the physical damage to his body finally catches up with him.

His Deputies are restless and unhapp
LJ
First Sentence: I tried to get a straight answer from his grandson and granddaughter-in-law as to why their grandfather had been tied with a hundred feet of nylon rope to the rear bumper of the 1968 Oldsmobile Tornado.

It begins with a severed thumb found within a Styrofoam cooler at the junkyard. Sheriff Walt Longmire decides this might be a way to re-spark the drive in his bullet-shy deputy, Santiago Saizarbitoria. Little did Walt know that thumb would lead to murders, drugs, kidnapping and fam
Jeff Dickison
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent entry in the Longmire series, this one was a little funnier than other entries. The opening incident of the gentleman being dragged over his house was told years ago about a Decatur, Illinois man. Everyone swore it was true but no one knew who the fellow was. It's still funny. I wish Johnson had never gotten Walt and Vic involved. In this day and age, even if Vic doesn't object, Walt is liable to be ridden out of town on a rail if the affair becomes known. Overall, a very good book ...more
Judith E
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, fiction
Another satisfying audible listen while traveling with husband in car. Sheriff Longmire stumbles upon a severed thumb and a pot growing operation only to be saved by Dog in the end. The characters in this Walt Longmire series are humorous, smart and unique. Fun as always.
Jacqueline
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio version. I really enjoy this narrator. While I like the show, I really think I like the books better. Walt is a more grounded person in the novels and CJ has a better handle on his character than the tv writers do. This was amusing in parts and I love Walt's inner voice. Yup, totally prefer the books. Sorry, lovely tv show.
Trish
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Craig Johnson's books, read by George Guidall, have something of the wise old dad about them. No matter that Walt Longmire, sheriff of Wyoming's Absaroka County, is not so old he doesn't lust after his deputy, the apple-assed Vic Moretti. That just makes him more of a man. And man he is. Bearing all manner of physical insult, he comes out on top once again, chasing his quarry through an 18" snowstorm high in the hills surrounding Red Lodge, Montana.

The ridiculous nature of the events that set o
Nikki
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Junkyard Dogs turned out to be a different book than I was expecting, especially since it won the Best Sidekick award at the Left Coast Crime conference. Sheriff Walt Longmire needs all his sidekicks -- Deputies Vic Moretti and Sancho Saizarbitoria, mentor Lucian Connally, his friend Henry Standing Bear, and his dog Dog -- to solve the convoluted mystery in Junkyard Dogs.

What I liked best about this book was that the villains were not obvious from their personalities and actions. I kept being s
Ed
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This entertaining mystery gave me three nights of pleasure. I'd read an earlier title in the series, so Walt Longmire, the sheriff of a Wyoming town, wasn't a stranger to me. Battered and bruised, the big man Walt has trouble with his vision, an ailment not to dismiss lightly. Several murders crop up after a severed thumb is discovered inside of an ice cooler at the local landfill. Walt is a full-rounded, great character (I especially like the mannerisms the author uses) with a wry sense of humo ...more
Michael
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, mystery, detective
The last two Walt Longmire books were both really disappointing. The series featuring the aging Sheriff seemed to be stalling with two books pretty much self sabotaged by Craig Johnson. At least I assume it was him and not the result of some very poor editorial advice probably connected to pacing. Both books were completely ruined by being told in flashback and featured only minimal appearances of the regular cast of characters. But Junkyard Dogs sees a welcome return of the old, slow burn style ...more
Colleen
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is one of my favorite series and I am enjoying each installment. The deputies are back in this one, and with them the snark and banter I'd been missing offset with gruff affection and heartfelt concern. It's also bitterly cold out, helping set a dark tone that intensifies the hunt for whodunit. The connections between characters are curious in a way small towns can be.
Carolyn F.
I wish Walt and Vic would figure out their relationship - well at least Walt because he's the one who seems to be putting the brakes on everything.

Good story. I thought it was going to be the (view spoiler) but no. Another surprise to me ending which has once again brought down my ego guessing these mysteries. Very good book/series.
Yvonne
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western-mystery
Walt and all his side-kicks are back in this one and in fine form.
The mystery wasn't overly taxing on the brain, but "watching" the good guys solve the ins and outs of the crime was fun.

I'm going to be awfully sad when I reach the end of this series, which is fast approaching!

OK - on to #7.

Koeeoaddi
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny and fast paced, with a hilariously trashy family at the center of things and Vic at her creatively profane best. Most fun of the Longmire books, in my opinion.
Dorothy
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed something light and undemanding to read and I decided to turn to Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire series. It was a fortuitous choice.

This sixth book in the series is the best one yet, in my opinion. Johnson is on his game with the dry humor that is the best thing about the series, and the action takes place in Durant so all of those supporting characters that we've come to like so much are there and are doing their thing.

The plot is a somewhat convoluted one with a lot of subplots lurking
John
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's winter and Sheriff Walt Longmire, head of law enforcement in a small Wyoming town, is tired of the ice and snow. His latest case starts when a couple from the local junkyard inadvertently tow their grandfather behind the family car across the ice for a couple of miles. (The old man doesn't seem much discommoded by the experience, despite a dislocated shoulder.) Next there's the discovery of a severed thumb in a cooler someone's dumped at the junkyard. And next . . . well, things start to ge ...more
Harry
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

Update:
Junkyard dogs takes a look at the growing tension between Walt and Sancho...ties it in with Sancho's prison guard past, and puts Walt squarely in the face of a drug operation running beneath his nose. Every novel it seems has a beast that has it in for Walt; and in this one, we meet Sundance...a wolf hound. Great stuff...reading these novels like pop-corn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig Johnson has written nine novels in his Walt Longmire series. F
Maria
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: western, mystery
Sheriff Walt Longmire is at it again, but thankfully this time the story is presented in a linear fashion. Please tell me that I’m not the only Longmire fan that is thrilled to escape the flashbacks! I’ve commented in previous reviews that it seems that Craig Johnson plays with a different storytelling convention in each book, and I think the theme this time is humor/comedy. Not that previous the books don’t have comedic elements; it just seems that this book really focuses on this element. Ther ...more
Suzy
I was excited to reconnect with Sheriff Walt Longmire in Craig Johnson's ongoing series of murder mysteries. I was not disappointed and Johnson was back in rare Longmire form in The Junkyard Dogs. I remarked in the last book, The Dark Horse that I missed his regular cast of deputies and his longtime pal Henry Standing Bear, aka The Cheyenne Nation. Vick, Ruby, Henry, Lucien and other regulars were very much present in this story of a murder committed in the locale of the title, Durant's local ju ...more
Suspense Magazine
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud and “Junkyard Dogs” with its quirky cast of characters and oddball situations, really caught me off guard. Though well into the Walt Longmire series, anyone picking up “Junkyard Dogs” as a first look into the world of Johnson’s work, would never notice.

Outsiders would imagine living in Absaroka County, Wyoming would be pretty damn peaceful. A quaint, small town with a slower pace; where you know your neighbors and people get along purely because there ar
Mark Stevens
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This one is a smile waiting to happen. Walt Longmire is bewildered but doesn’t judge. He views his crew with mild amusement. He’s a sheriff with a real-world understanding of the endless variety of human beings that could run through his life and run through Absaroka County and, well, ruin his day. He doesn't really care. He just wants to keep order.

Johnson is right there with Tony Hillerman. Like Hillerman, there is mystery but the suspense-factor needle never runs in the red zone. This makes f
Sherrie
Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, this is not my favorite of the Longmire series. It's just a little too cutesy. That said, it's still Craig Johnson, so it still gets a 4.
Erin L
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great entry in the series, but I'm not sure if it's as good as previous books.
Margaret
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another terrific Longmire yarn by Craig Johnson. Great setting, atmosphere, and suspenseful mystery-solving with the usual injuries being dispensed all around.
Sean Little
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
After forcing Walt Longmire into an unfamiliar town for the duration of The Dark Horse, Craig Johnson returns his beloved sheriff to Absaroka County, Wyoming for Junkyard Dogs, a novel that brings back the outlandish characters and intricately plotted mystery that Johnson does best.

A severed thumb is discovered in a junkyard and that thumb leads to murder. While Walt is unraveling this, he also has to deal with octogenarian romance, a deputy who has gone gun-shy and wants to resign, a second-in-
Debbie
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
"Junkyard Dogs" is a humorous mystery novel. The first third of the novel was set-up and had more of a general fiction flavor. After the first murder, though, it turned into a fast-paced mystery. The characters were interesting and quirky. The world-building was good. The author avoided my even considering to question "would police really do that?" by having his Sheriff play fast and loose with the rules (much to the dismay of the other characters).

While this was a who-done-it type mystery, the
Patty
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Craig Johnson and Walt Longmire are two of my favorite men. Craig because he writes so well, and Walt because Craig writes him so well!

This is the sixth Walt Longmire book so starting to read one is like a chance to visit with good friends. Walt is smart and funny and so real you feel like you know him personally, Vic is her normal snarky self but there is a heart of gold behind those mouthy defenses, and the rest of the cast is there in their supporting roles. Not as much Henry Standing Bear as
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • A Discount for Death (Posadas County Mystery, #2)
  • Blood Hollow (Cork O'Connor, #4)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
  • Free Fall (John Ceepak Mystery #8)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)

Craig Johnson an American novelist, short story writer, and playwright. . He lives in Ucross, near Sheridan, Wyoming, population 25.

Johnson has written twelve novels featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire: The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, Kindness Goes Unpunished, Another Man's Moccasins, Junkyard Dogs, The Dark

Walt Longmire (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1)
  • Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
  • Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3)
  • Another Man's Moccasins (Walt Longmire, #4)
  • The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire, #5)
  • Hell Is Empty (Walt Longmire, #7)
  • As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8)
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
  • Any Other Name (Walt Longmire, #10)
  • Dry Bones (Walt Longmire, #11)
“She resembled Anna Karenina, the kind of woman that if you want to kill, you have to hit with a train.” 15 likes
“As your trusted Indian scout, it is important for me to warn you that you are now on perilously thin ice” 10 likes