Start by marking “The Art of How to Train Your Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Art of How to Train Your Dragon

The Art of How to Train Your Dragon

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  3,935 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Featuring more than 350 pieces of development artwork that includes early character designs, story sketches, and concept paintings never before released by the studio, The Art of How to Train Your Dragon offers a stunning view of DreamWorks Animation's film about an unlikely alliance between a young Viking and a deadly dragon, inspired by the original book by Cressida Cowe ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Newmarket Press (first published February 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of How to Train Your Dragon, please sign up.

Daniel Racca It's pretty good actually, it has lots of sketches of the drawing process. Really useful if you wanna use as a reference or inspiration to draw. =)

Vicky
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, art
how to train your dragon toothless photo: tumblr_lre2dzvNrS1qeifydo5_250.gif
I really like the movie so i bought the art of how to train your dragon the art is beautiful and when I take off the book cover its black with a red dragon in the middle. My favorite part of the book is toothless sketches and hiccup sketches and some of the hiccup sketches are really cute.
Kim Hannah
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Being a design student I love learning how things are created and designed. I wanted to see the thoughts the artists had during the making of this film and how it was from the initial to the final.

From the characters, to the sceneries and to the structures of their village.

Different character types, the artist wanted to stick to the way people perceived the Vikings but also stir away from the stereotypes. There were also initial sketches of the characters to the final. Some characters had drasti
Trish
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book full of lovely and impressive drawings!
I bought it after having seen the movie which was FABULOUS! It was kind of a surprise to me - I only watched the movie because afriend lent me the DVD. I watched it thrice that weekend and still couldn't stop laughing. I thought the sketches and pictures to be vivid and expressive, playful and explicit. Thus, when I ordered the DVD for myself, I saw the book as a recommendation (amazon) and after a quick look inside it, I bought it as well.
Kathleen
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Once I had watched the movie I had to see what the artists had done to get to that point in the movie. This book was amazing if you're an artist you'll be able to appreciate this book the way I did, a lot of people don't like the sketches that are in here because they don't understand the idea of concept sketches. I wanted concept art and that's what I got along with some other goodies and finalized pics. :)
Keeley
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
5 stars. Duh :)
Molly
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great art-book. The movie was a pleasant surprise (didn't expect to like it as much as I did).
Kim
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! Especially the worlds that they came up with. They were beautiful!
Kayla
I absolutely love the art books that accompany most animated movies nowadays. They're pretty expensive so I don't own nearly as many as I'd like but whenever the stars align, and the pay is good, and the price is right, one falls into my hands. I've been waiting on this one for a while. It didn't disappoint.

The Art of How to Train Your Dragon is slightly reminiscent of The Art of Rise of the Guardians, because each had a children's/middle grade book series that existed before the film was conce
Liz
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I love all the artwork, it is so beautiful. I can truly tell what a wonderful job the whole team has done to make the movie and their efforts are not wasted. I like how the different ideas not in the film were shown. Now I want to rewatch the movie to appreciate all the hard work that into it.
Teanna Byerts
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Art that Soars

First, I'll warn you I am a fan of animation. Not the loud shrieky Cartoon Network stuff that is so stylized I can't tell what that creature is supposed to be, but the detailed Art of animators like Disney, Dreamworks, Pixar, Miyazaki.

I love the behind the scenes and how they did its on the extended videos.

I love the magic of art that moves, and moves us in ways no filmed realism can.

There was a time when stories were told not for the facts they contained, but for the deep truths t
Trike
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
One of my favorite parts of this book had very little to do with the book itself. I was listening to music as I read it and just as I got to Craig Ferguson's introduction talking about how the movie explained his love of flying, which he discovered after becoming a pilot to combat his fear of flying, Phillip Phillip's song "Fly" started playing. It was a nice little coincidence.

As to the book itself, I want to like it more than I did, but it feels strangely lightweight to me. I think part of the
Rubi
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Can't really explain the awesomeness in words, but here goes my attempt:
Warning: Not for those who aren't interested in animation and technical details.
For those who are and love art and understanding how things are made/done this book is totally for you!
The artwork is incredible. The talent of these artist amazed me and to see ALL the artwork they did and didn't even use was saddening. I'm glad DreamWorks gave us a chance to see it.
I loved looking "behind-the-scenes" to the first concepts of
Kathryn
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read
This is one of my favourite movies of all time and one of the first movie books I bought when I started getting interested in the behind the scenes of movie making.

Seeing all the concept art for the characters and how they evolved though out the movie making process really re-enforces just how much effort goes into making a movie like this. It also shows all the different directions the movie could have gone in before making it to the final cut we see on the screen.

Reading about the creative pro
Joel Griswell
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Middle of the line as far as "Art of" books go. The book features lots of illustrations, from early concept sketches up to final designs, from everything from the dragons, Vikings, props and locations. Certainly a treasure trove for fans of the film, as you really get to see all the endless detail that went into the background of each frame of this film, all the care and attention to every single visual aspect and its effect on characterization and storytelling. I always find it most interesting ...more
Jen
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I just relived the HTTYD experience...and somewhat through the team's eyes.

Okay, now that I've had time to think and digest the art book, I still would not change my star rating. To me, I think most art books deserves 5 stars simply for the breathtaking work these artists do.

In this art book, you get to learn a little more about the characters, dragons and designs of Berk. You also get to meet Cressida Cowell, the author of the HTTYD series.

What I loved about this art book is the "b
Emily
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Not the best "Art of" book I've ever read. It's frankly a bit light -- not enough of the process or inspiration. For most items, only designs that are basically final are shown, not many early designs or even many final stills. There's no inclusion of the style or pieces which influences the work. There's little to none of the rationale behind design choices and little to no information about HOW anything's done. I also crave a little more variety in the art itself as it seems 80% of it is penci ...more
τλιϓλ
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-of-books
أول كلمة قلتها حينما رأيت الفيلم: الكتاب، سأشتريه.. هذا ماحدث لاحقا بعد فترة ما، فتح الكتاب آفاقا جديدة أمامي حينما رأيت الرسومات الأولية لأشكال التنينات المختلفة، لقد كانت شيئا خياليا بحق والبيئة الموجودة في الفيلم كانت بيئة جميلة فقط لو تم الإهتمام بها أكثر لتكون بيئة جديرة بالفايكنج فعلا.
استمتعت واخواني الصغار بتصفح الكتاب واخذت احكي لهم عن بعض الأمور المتعلقة بالأشكال والأجواء ورسوم الشخصيات وذكريات طاقم الفيلم.
لقد قضيت وقتا جميلا مع الفيلم والكتاب ^_^

It's really good book, I believe the fan
Amanda
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of two art books behind all the art and animation for How to Train Your Dragon. It's gorgeous and I found myself breathless while turning through a lot of the pages. I like seeing how the images of the character origins, with the books, shifted to become who they each became in the books. I like all the details about the dragons and how they chose what to display in locations, both that worked and had to be retooled to work better before producing the movie.

Definitely gorgeous
Krista Tomblin
I loved How to Train Your Dragon. This book shows the concept art that lead up to the Dreamworks film. From Line drawings to intricate paintings and pastels, the art featured in this book is phenomenal. I love seeing where they started with ideas, especially with the dragons and main characters and where they ended up with the final film. The scenery of the dragon world and the viking world is outstandingly gorgeous. The artists are so talented and creative.
Susie Minehan
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
While this book clearly and wonderfully demonstrates the thought-process bend the animations, to me it left something to be desired as far as preliminary drawings go- which is what I am personally most interested in. However, the book still adds fantastic insight to the making of the movie, and the thought put into not only the dragons and how they should look and act and move, but to the Vikings and the whole scenery as well. I would say this book is fitting for any fan.
Brandi
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through a Facebook giveaway. It was a nice surprise when I got home yesterday. :)

The illustrations in this book are very beautiful. I love seeing how the characters were developed. Some of the earlier illustrations are really surprising!

I think the only thing I would add to this book would be some more background or perspectives from the illustrators and animators.
Sydney
This book was not as good as the art book for the second movie. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. Again the art is amazing and it's really neat to see all the concept art. I like how this book told you a lot about the steps in putting everything together to make the movie perfect. Making an animation sounds so hard, but it was really neat to learn about! I loved this book and am so excited to have it in my own personal library :D
Sarah Schanze
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-related
I would have given it 5 stars, but it's got quite a number of labeling errors that something of this caliber should not have. Plus it just doesn't have as much character art as The Art of Kung Fu Panda, which was disappointing. The book itself is actually thinner than Kung Fu Panda. Still, I absolutely love Nico Marlet's designs, and the environment art is fabulous.
Jaimie
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
After having seen the actual film about a million times, I actually found this book to be quite disappointing. Sure, it has some great examples of preliminary sketches and concept art, and discusses the intricacies of the CG and 3D animation, but when compared to the lush complexities of the visuals from the film the book felt quite flat.
Colona Public Library
How to Train Your Dragon is one of my all time favorite movies and This book is a great to read and admire the art and hard work put into the film. I loved the parts about the lighting effects because it really is a overlooked detail that creates the mood of the film. I recommend this to any art lovers out there or fans of the How to Train Your Dragon series. ~Ashley
Cyril Anderson
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After watching this movie in theatres and buying the Blu-Ray copy, i was determined to discover the truth and the making of How To Train Your Dragon. Beautiful artwork, great deal of character designing and CG animation and realistic background!

Be sure to watch the movie before you read this, so it will help you understand the book better!
Bry
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-of-books
Everyone who loved the film and loves art of books should get this but the reason it's not 5stars for me is I was just hoping for a bit more character designs. But this book is packed is gorgeous environments and Nico Marlets amazing art
Ingrid
Aug 04, 2011 added it
Decided to treat myself to this book for my birthday. If you liked the movie than this book is the perfect addition. The artwork is awesome and it was facinating to see the progression of ideas that lead to the final ones seen in the movie. Beautiful book!
Josiphine/Tessa
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Josiphine/Tessa by: Elevetha
How to Train Your Dragon is my very favorite animated movie ever, so I was hoping that this would be my very favorite book ever. It isn't, quite, but still very good. There were too many words and not enough pictures.
Ellie
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely beautiful book! I couldn't put it down! The pictures and sketches are just amazing! Plus I really love that Creesida Cowell even wrote a small bit. Definately one to add to your bookshelf!
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2
  • The Art of Brave
  • The Art of Tangled
  • The Art of Finding Nemo
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • The Art of Frozen
  • The Art of Up
  • The Art of Ratatouille
  • The Art of The Lion King
  • The Art of Wreck-It Ralph
  • The Art of Pixar Short Films
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 2: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures
  • The Art of Spirited Away