Start by marking “O Jerusalem (Mary Russell, #5)” as Want to Read:
O Jerusalem (Mary Russell, #5)

O Jerusalem (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #5)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  14,219 Ratings  ·  708 Reviews
At the close of the year 1918, forced to flee England's green and pleasant land, Russell and Holmes enter British-occupied Palestine under the auspices of Holmes' enigmatic brother, Mycroft.

"Gentlemen, we are at your service." Thus Holmes greets the two travel-grimed Arab figures who receive them in the orange groves fringing the Holy Land. Whatever role could the volatile
Published April 28th 2009 by Bantam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about O Jerusalem, please sign up.

Adiba Qonita Zahroh Sayangnya tidak ada. Masih ada tiga buku yang diterjemahkan dalam Bahasa Indonesia The Beekeeper's Apprentice, A Monstrous Regiment of Women, dan A…moreSayangnya tidak ada. Masih ada tiga buku yang diterjemahkan dalam Bahasa Indonesia The Beekeeper's Apprentice, A Monstrous Regiment of Women, dan A Letter of Mary. (less)

Anika
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this series loving them, but I have to say they are getting more and more disappointing. The characters are still the highlight, but King is having a worse and worse time with plots - this one felt so unresolved that I literally checked to see if there had been pages ripped out to explain what had just happened. I did like the descriptions of Palestine and the nomadic life of Holmes and Russell, but King's attention seemed to be so focused on that that the mystery element total ...more
Louise Chambers
What I'm beginning to learn about this series is that, while King has based these books on Sherlock Holmes, the series itself is in Mary Russell's voice and is about her.
This may be why, in reading some reviews of this book, and some others in the series, that some readers may be disappointed, or even perhaps peeved, that these books do not echo Conan Doyle's writing and plotting style, and indeed, do not use Holmes' voice to drive the story along.
Why is this a good thing? Because we can see, t
Emily
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Man. I reaaaaly had to slog through this one. I mean, REALLY. I think the last 25 pages or so I just barely skimmed, just enough to get the point so that I wouldn't feel like I'd totally wasted my time. This was definitely my least favorite of the Russell/Holmes series so far. Clearly sort of an excuse for King to get all her religious knowledge across and cram everything about the Middle East into as many pages as possible. It ended up being sort of painful to get through.

I would actually reco
Debbie
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit difficult to get into initially, because the setting - both time and place - are pretty foreign to me. I'm very ill-educated on the struggles that have been going on in the Middle East in general and Jerusalem specifically for thousands of years, and I'm aware of it.

However, King did her best to help me out with information about the language and a map of Jerusalem at the front. Russell helped me out in her narrative, being specific about the rules she was and was not following an
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
O Jerusalem takes us back in time to the first book when Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes had to flee England because of the danger they were in. The country they chose, or rather Mary chose, was Palestine.

This is the first book in the series that I didn’t quite like as much as the previous four books. That doesn’t mean that the book isn’t good. Just that it took some rereads to make me really appreciate the book. Now it’s a good book for me, and I wouldn’t mind re-read, but I was a bit disappo
Ron
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Once again Laurie King creates the sense of "being there". In this case, "there" is Palestine in 1919. Not only does she seem to get the history right, but also the geography, the sociology and the feel and smell of the Middle east.

Another good tale, well told.
Kam
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
Getting through a series of novels with more than three or four books can be, in many ways, rather tedious. It is entirely easy to simply lose interest in the whole thing if the individual novels are unable to sustain interest, or the reader simply lacks the stamina to see the whole thing through from beginning to end.

Although I do have a personal reading policy about finishing any series I start if I like the first book, I will admit that there are difficulties in seeing this through, especial
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fifth in order of publication in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series, the story line actually fits into the latter part of the debut novel in the series, The Beekeeper s Apprentice.[return][return]Holmes and the 19 year old Russell have fled for their lives from England to British-occupied Palestine, where in addition to buying time in order to deal with a lethal criminal genius, Holmes and Russell will also look into a little matter for Sherlock s brother, Mycroft, who holds a powerful but ...more
WK
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lrk
In the middle of "The Beekeeper’s Apprentice" Russell and Holmes leave England for a bit to get a breather from the relentless pursuit of there cunning opponent and agree to do a favor for Mycroft during their travels. This launches them into the world of international intrigue and the hands of the Hazr ‘brothers’. Two hard edged, unaccommodating ‘allies’?
Then there’s the walk with Russell and Holms on the path of the Good Samaritan, amazing!
Jeanne Adamek
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find this to be the best fit after reading The Beekeepers Apprentice. The three books between this one and the first of the series are very good but O Jerusalem describes the journey that Mary Russell and Holmes made in the Beekeepers Apprentice. I really loved the lush descriptions of the land and for those who enjoy reading about adventure this aspect was wonderfully well done.
Laurie R. King Vi...: O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King - VBC September 2012 97 115 Jan 12, 2013 02:41PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: O Jerusalem by Laurie King 1 3 Apr 16, 2012 10:16AM
  • Seeing a Large Cat (Amelia Peabody, #9)
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes, #6)
  • Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey, #13)
  • Good Night, Mr. Holmes (Irene Adler, #1)
  • The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes 150th Anniversary: The Short Stories
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's most recent novel, Dreaming Spies, sees Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes travel from Japan to Oxford, in a case with international players and personal meaning. The Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series foll
More about Laurie R. King...

Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1)
  • A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell, #2)
  • A Letter of Mary (Mary Russell, #3)
  • The Moor (Mary Russell, #4)
  • Justice Hall (Mary Russell, #6)
  • The Game (Mary Russell, #7)
  • Locked Rooms (Mary Russell, #8)
  • The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9)
  • The God of the Hive (Mary Russell, #10)
  • Pirate King (Mary Russell, #11)
“Using insult instead of argument is the sign of a small mind.” 17 likes
“Marsh looked at me sideways, causing a brief stir of familiarity. "You liked the library?"
"It was all I could do to keep her from bolting herself inside," Alistair told him.
With mock indignation, I protested, "I never even touched a book. I walked through and walked out."
"Her eyes were filled with an unnatural light," Alister confided in his cousin. "I feared for my safety.”
1 likes