Start by marking “Beachcomber” as Want to Read:
Beachcomber

Beachcomber

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  2,636 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Karen Robards comes a thrilling new novel of suspense and steamy seaside sensuality set in North Carolina's Outer Banks, where a serial killer combs the beaches filled with beautiful female tourists for his next victim.
Christy Petrino hadn't planned on a vacation on Ocracoke Island, but when she learns her fiancé and boss, suave Mic
Published August 12th 2003 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Beachcomber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beachcomber

Cheri
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book held my attention from start to finish. You will go from Philly to the beaches of South Carolina. You will encounter the Mafia, FBI, Sexy FBI guy, lots of banter, a damsel in distress (she is kickass though), a serial killer, local yokel police, murder and hot sex. There is much more but I don't wanna spoil the fun! There are so many twists and turns that my heading was spinning!
SUE
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book. It combines humor, romance, and suspense. The suspense was right up to the end of the book.
Jen
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great! It's an awesome romantic suspense that makes you laugh, your heart flutter but also keeps you on edge! There are many negative comments about Karen Robard's books but it really is a great fun read! It's easy and simple but still is good and keeps you wanting to flip the pages! I loved this book and couldn't put it down!
Stacy
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like books about the mafia, but this was a refreshing twist, about a wife in the dark, and suddenly *poof* her life with her husband is not what she thought it was. Very good.
Robin
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great beach read, couldn't wait to get back to it! First book read from Karen Robards.
Christine
Exciting, fast-paced read. Everything I expect from Karen Robards. But the ending was very abrupt, and actually a little unconvincing. Still, the ride was fun. :)
cg
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author kept me on the edge of my seat during many parts of this book. This is the first hard cover book I have read from Karen Robards, however, several years ago I did listen to one of her audiobooks, which also was very good. I have been trying to remember Ocracoke Island from our last visit there many years ago. Sadly, I could not. Only that we took a boat to get there and I believe there was a lighthouse.
Debbie Davis
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Takes place in Obx.
Tish Gee
Beachy fluff done pretty well
Susannah Carleton
A good story with interesting characters and several killers running around. After finding out that her fiancé is a high-ranking member of the mob, lawyer Christy Petrino breaks her engagement and quits her job. Her mother suggests a vacation--a week or two on Ocracoke Island, North Carolina, at the beach--but it isn't the relaxing time in the sun that Christy hoped for. Her mother's boyfriend, "Uncle Vinny," who is also a mob member, demands that she do a job for him, leaving a package at a loc ...more
Samantha Smith
This book was just okay. I read this for my romance book club. I picked it because I heard it was a good example of the romance suspense genre. It was very suspenseful and a bit scary. This book just didn't do it for me for a number of reasons. First, this is a romance novel and though there was a bit of sex in the book I didn't find the scenes particularly sexy and I didn't feel a lot of chemistry between the characters. You don't really know anything about either one and even though it says th ...more
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the first Karen Robards novel I've ever read and it was a good story, but nothing to write home about.

From back cover:

"When Christy Petrino discovers that her fiance, Michael DePalma, and the law firm where she works are linked to the mob, she breaks her engagement and quits her job. But no one walks away from the DePalma family so easily. Christy's freedom comes on one condition: She must deliver a locked briefcase to a motel on North Carolina's Ocracoke Island. Her late-night drop-off
Julie Barrett
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beachcomber by Karen Robards
Love books about the seashore and with mystery intwined I though this would be a really good read.
Set on outer banks - can't wait to visit here myself, love the detailed descriptions.
Story follows the killer and their thoughts as they watch the woman in bikinis and they are his prey.
He was most taken with Liz and he stalks her as he has done to others. Also Christys' story is being told at the same time.
She's on a vacation in the outer banks when the other women have
Maria
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, this book is what I have come to expect from Ms. Robards in that it is fast-paced, suspenseful, and has a twist at the end, which I have not generally figured out ahead of time. Liz really bothered me, however. To have worked so hard, gotten so far, and then not to succeed was more than I could take. For the story line, it would have been okay to have her go into a coma or something that would effectively remove her from the action, but to take her out altogether and for no ot ...more
Stephy
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and couldn't put it down.
It was a quick and interesting read.
And the ending was a surprise.
When Christy Petrino discovers that her fiancé, Michael DePalma, and the law firm where she works are linked to the mob, she breaks her engagement and quits her job. But no one walks away from the DePalma family so easily. Christy's freedom comes on one condition: She must deliver a locked briefcase to a motel on North Carolina's Ocracoke Island. Her late-night drop-off is only the
Amy
Donna
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laura Beasley
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good story. Several surprises. Christy finds out her employer and fiancee are involved with the mob. They have sent her to the beach to deliver a briefcase and while on the beach she discovers a woman's body and when she goes for help and returns the woman is dead. Then the murderer is after Christy. Is there a serial killer? Is that who is after her or is it the mob? Her next door neighbor at the beach-- Luke - comes to her rescue but is he really who he says he is. Who can she trust?
Linda
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great suspense romance from Karen Robards. When Christy Petrino left Philadelphia to come to Nags Head for a much needed break she did not know she would end up in the middle of a FBI undercover operation. Luke Rand needed to locate Christy new ex-boyfriend who was connected with the mob so he used hidden cameras and mics to watch her every move. Unfortunately she also witnessed a killing on the beach and now the serial killer was after her too or was he?

This is a fast moving, exciting s
Anna Mcfadden
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christy Petrino breaks off her engagement to her boss Michael DePalma when she finds out that the law firm they work at is just a front for Michael 's mob family. The only way to get free from the family is to deliver a briefcase to a motel on Ocracoke Island. on the way back from the drop she stumbles a women who dies before Christy can bring help..... how she don't know if it's the mob or a serial killer hunting her down... plus every time something bad happens her neighbor Luke Rand is there. ...more
Denise
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very full suspense novel that keeps the action going all through the book. There is never a dull moment. Something like the James Bond series. Not very realistic. Constant trauma. Caused me to be in a state of constant anxiety. I had to finish it so that I could stop thinking about it. Not a read again. The heroine gets stalked by the mob and a serial killer and falls in love all at the same time.
Mary
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Mary by: it's a Karen Robards
Shelves: romance, mystery
I really liked this book. I never reread the beginning, just too creepy for me, but after that I really like the book. I like the feral cat Marvin, I love how Luke gets stuck with him. I love how he keeps trying to convince Christy that they keep bumping into each other by accident. I loved their escape from the trunk, and really loved the turtles. The villain was a total surprise, I never ever would have guessed.
Stephanie Tuell
the actions starts right from the beginning and never ends. christy is trying to outrun 2 killers, but when she runs into someone she finally feels safe with, he can get her into just as much trouble as the killers. karen robards keeps you on your toes this whole book. just when you think you might know the ending, think again.
Lisa Ahne
I thought I would like this book, but...eh. The action was pretty good, but I think the author might drag stuff out a bit much. I also found the character development to be lacking. Just could have been much better. Overall, it wasn't bad. I would not recommend it, but I would also not discourage anyone from reading it. It had some good points.
Amanda
Aug 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: James patterson fans
This book was full of twists and turns and I think anyone that reads James Patterson books think would like this book because it is also full of mystery and murder. I authur be interested in knowing what other people think after they find out who the Beachcomber really is. I would not typically read a book like this one but now I can’t wait to read more by this writer.
Joyce
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A female attorney from Philadelphia has gone to the OuterBanks of NC to get over a broken engagement where she has learned that her ex was not the man she thought he was. Her next door neighbors are a pair of FBI agents who are watching her in hopes of arresting her ex... Oh yes, there is also a serial killer who is after her. Need I say more? Fun summer beach reading.
Sandy
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok for me. Not as intense or suspenseful but ordinarly a good book and you should give it a try. I personally thought this book was a tad weaker than her other books. Especially the ending; not much happened. 3/5 stars.
Vicki
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Karen Robards book. This one has Christy Patrino leaving her fiance behind and going to the outer banks. Christy is suspicious of Luke Rand, her neighbor and someone that seems to be everywhere. A fast paced book, that I really liked a lot.
Dana
Christy and Luke

I agree, nothing to write home about. It's a decent beach read, but nothing I feel like I could read over and over again. The chemistry isn't really there, the story is eye-brow raising (but not in a good way) and slightly predictable. I give it a weak 3 stars.
Australian website for second hand books 1 4 Jul 07, 2013 03:19AM
  • Veil of Night
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Storm Warning
  • Hurricane Bay
  • Sweet Baby
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)
  • No Way Out
  • The Secret Hour
  • Kiss the Moon
  • She's No Angel
  • The Golden Chance
Karen Robards is the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of more than fifty books and one novella. She has won multiple awards including six Affaire de Coeur Silver Pen Awards for favorite author.
Karen has been writing since she was very young, and was first published nationally in the December 1973 Reader's Digest. She sold her first romance novel, ISLAND FLAME, wh
More about Karen Robards...