Start by marking “Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)

Dream a Little Dream

(Chicago Stars #4)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  29,051 ratings  ·  1,133 reviews
A Desperate Young Mother

Rachel Stone's bad luck has taken a turn for the worse. With an empty wallet, a car's that's spilling smoke, and a five-year-old son to support, she's come home to a town that hates her. But this determined young widow with a scandalous past has learned how to be a fighter. And she'll do anything to keep her child safe—even take on. . .<
Published February 1st 1998 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Dream a Little Dream, please sign up.
Jayne Yes, you don't need to read the other books to thoroughly enjoy this one.

·  29,051 ratings  ·  1,133 reviews

Start your review of Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
5 FAT Stars!

I basically stepped on a landmine here. You see, I’m scared of books where the hero is pining after his ex. But a dead ex AND a dead child? A nightmare.

After reading Nobody’s Baby But Mine I just one-clicked this one and dove in. It turns out it’s a good thing I didn’t read the blurb. Had I read it, I wouldn’t have discovered this outstanding book. Not only did the subject matter NOT bother me at
Mo
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Heartache Mountain Stars.

This is my third time reading this book. I loved it .... again. It is truly heartbreaking. Edward, bless his five year old heart will steal your own heart away. I adored him.

Rachel, what a strong, brave heroine.

Pain sliced through him. He'd been numb inside, just the way he wanted it but the two of them were cutting him open all over again ...

Gabe, Gabe, Gabe ...

Although thiheroine.
Mysza
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-read
I swear, books in this series are getting better and better. Every next one I start I am like, wow! this is the best! And then I go to the next one and want to say the same thing about it. To be fair I have to say all of them are amazing. I can't believe it took me so long to start reading this series.

It's a classic contemporary romance at its best. The story, characters, angst and all the feels... so wonderful. Everything perfect and so well written. I recommend to all of you who lo
♥Sharon♥
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am finding by reading this series back to back I am running out of creative opening lines for my reviews. So I guess I will go back to the basics. Simply put, I loved this book. I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips writing. I love her creativity. With each one of ther books she gives you a little ‘something’ that makes the story special.

In Dream a Little Dream that ‘something’ was the sweetest little 5 year old boy who stole my heart within minutes of starting the book. For me Edward was at the heart
Ingie
Written July 9, 2015

4.7 Stars - Wonderful, touching, lovely .... simply great

The last one for me to read in this lovely Chicago Stars series. 11:30 hrs audiobook narrated by the FANTASTIC Anna Fields.

Once again; I'm happydancing
I'm not exaggerating, Susan Elizabeth Phillips is still one of the very BEST in this feel good m/f genre.

*********************************************

Dream a Little Dream from the Chicago Stars football 'world' is book #4 published 1998 and my seventh (and last book - not read in order - standalones) in this fa*********************************************
Dream2015
4.7
Karen
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS
[image error]  photo 25dee057-a325-4e81-902d-1bfd35838aa6.jpg

You know, I keep trying, but I cannot rate any of Susan Elizabeth Phillips’ books less than 5. It just isn’t ever going to happen. And each one I read suddenly becomes my favorite. And this one is no exception. Seriously, these books are FUCKING SENSATIONAL! And that is all I need to say about it.

[image error]5 STARS
[image error]
 photo 25dee057-a325-4e81-902d-1bfd35838aa6.jpg

[image error]  photo 1550_image_67990.jpg

Rachel Stone is only twenty-seven and already the destitute widow of a dead crooked television evangelist. She is a public pariah, who has lost everything, her husband, her home, all of her money, her possessions and even her faith in God. All she has left in the world is her sweet but sickly and very sad little five year old boy named Edward.

”Everybody hates us.”

[image error]  photo 30d9d4f3441f965547b0e9ca57a817b9.jpg

Everywhere she goes she is shunned and denied work. So finally after living out of her car… it finally gives up the ghost back in none other than her own hometown of Salvation, North Carolina. Where everyone REMEMBERS. And everyone HATES her.

“Ironic, isn't it, what religion does to people?"
"I guess it's more ironic what people do to religion.”

[image error]  photo tumblr_mo6ow8xgqq1s7vpd9o1_500.jpg

Then there’s Gabriel Bonner. The long lost brother of Cal Bonner (yes our gorgeous and notorious quarterback for the famous Chicago Stars). Gabe has returned to Salvation after spending a few years in Mexico trying to drink away his grief. He lost his adored wife and son in a horrible car accident a few years back and has yet to recover from their loss.

[image error]  photo drive-in-theater.jpg

”What kind of moron opens a drive-in?”

And he’s given up his practice as the local veterinarian, so he can re-open the long dead drive-in theater. But while pursuing this painful and useless task, he is faced with yet another unpleasant task… turning away the very famous, very hated, and very desperate “Widow Snopes.”

[image error]  photo tumblr_kuhu14mPf51qatmbuo1_400.jpg

“Who needs food? Your smile alone is enough to nourish me for weeks.”

And yes… love is found but not easily. Gabe must first find a way to put his past behind him, and then find a way to trust this snarky, skinny, and tenacious young girl. And even then there is a persistent little problem… named Edward.

[image error]  photo 03f82c04-458c-40c0-a99f-47ab19beeb02.jpg

He felt an unfamiliar heat in his chest and knew that his malevolence had begun to char the borders of his heart.

This book was sooooooo good… that even my updates had several people picking it back up for a re-read. And I know for a fact, that I will be doing the same thing myself very soon.

Romance books don’t get any better than this. And if they do… I’ll bet SEP is involved somehow. So from here, I’ll give a few quotes and pictures, and then, I’m on to my next favorite in the series!

”You’re not people Bonner, I’m not even sure you’re human.”

[image error]  photo 26132-Sometimesyougottapretendev.jpg

His chest burned. Her compassion made him defenseless. Just seconds earlier he’d been dreading her waspish tongue, but now he would give anything to be hit by one of her wisecracks.

[image error]  photo father-son-hug1.jpg

”Butthead.”

[image error]  photo Holyheremindedmeofbutthead_b3484ac75b60049c893a2bca6d38b88b.jpg

”Cherry was the love of my boyhood, Rach. You’re the love of my manhood. And I do love you, with all my heart. Please don’t leave me.”

[image error]  photo The-Notebook-11.jpg
Hulya Kara Yuksel
First of all somebody should kick my ass. :D
This was my 1st SEP book (I know, I'm so late for this party!) and OMG, I loved this story soooo freaking much and I'm planning to devour her books ASAP! :)

Jennifer Kyle
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A fabulous read how I adored little Edward !!
Nisha
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love a SEP book
I avoided this book for some reason. Possibly because I wasn't in the mood to read about a non athlete hero after falling through SEP's Chicago Stars. I'm glad I did get around to read it since it is one of the most heartwrenching stories I've read. Chip, Rachel's son, is absolutely adorable. Especially his relationship with Cal's daughter, Rosie. Gabe and Rachel's relationship grew slowly and pain was involved considering their pasts, but in a SEP's manner, they do end up together. Ethan and Kr ...more
Duchess Nicole
This book is intense! SEP has a knack for taking these realistic characters, putting them in unrealistic situations, and making them flop around until the situation seems realistic again. And it works! This is such a fabulous book. It just made my heart hurt. For some reason, when kids are involved, I get much more personally invested in the story. When this story ended, I wanted to crawl back inside the pages and live in Heartbreak with the Bonners. And once again, what a great ending line! Mad ...more
Peek At My Book Review
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: before2011, favorites
5 BRILLIANT STARS

description

This book is AWESOME and one of the best that I have read this year. I'm serious - Go read it if you haven't because it's that amazing. I love the narration, the characters (all of them), the story, the side stories, the way the author connects the dots - It was just the book that I needed and I'm so happy that I picked it up.

*I listened to the audiobook.
MRB
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a whiplash-inducing experience :) If you'd asked me to rate the first third of this book, I would have gushingly informed you that five stars just didn't feel sufficient to capture how much I loved it. I fell immediately and deeply in love with the writing style. I couldn't get over the beautifully, poignantly REAL depiction of these characters and their struggles. So we've got a down on her luck yet plucky, sassy heroine whose resourcefulness and resilient spirit enables her (and, in this ...more
NMmomof4
3.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: I love stories with kids in them! I also like the occasional grieving widow/widower story as well. So, this was right up my alley! I did enjoy it, but I didn't love it. I guess I never got over Gabe's treatment and issues with Edward. I got that he would struggle with Edward because of his grief, but his actual hatred for him never fared well with me. I also didn't like how that was all resolved. I didn't feel like it was all that believable, and it was as if a switch was/>Overall
A_Ryan
5 STARS

Another 5-star read from Susan Elizabeth Phillips!!

I absolutely LOVE this series...

Best Bits: There is so much to love about this 4th instalment of the Chicago Stars series. For me, the depth and integrity of the characters was the real winner here. My heart bled for Rachel, Gabe and Edward and I lapped up the indulgent sweetness of Ethan and Kristy as well (their story was a lot more predictable... but no less enjoyable.)

It's like an awesome bonus! Two love sto/>
valee
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
5++ stars!

Another terrific installment in this outstanding series. This book was soooo goooood! Loved it. Once again SEP surprised me big time.I still feel bad because I had not read anything from this author before, I adore her style so much now.

Do you know what's so good about this series? It's the way the author makes it seem so real. I'm usually a paranormal-romance reader so I don't care much about contemporary romance. I don't like cheesy or corny stories. So that's
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mostly sad until the end. But the ending was nice.

I’ve given 5 stars to many of S E Phillips’ books, but this book gets 4 stars because it was too sad. Most of the sadness was grieving for dead loved ones and being treated badly by others. I generally prefer uplifting or funny stories. Gabe wanted to kill himself and had a hard time after his wife and son were killed by a drunk driver. Rachel was married to an unethical tv evangelist. He convinced people to give him money that he use
Jen
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Real life is way too busy to write a proper review, but I will say that I love this series. The heros are alpha, the heroines are strong and in this book, the little boy Edward brought a tear to my eye more than once. This is definitely a series I would recommend.
F
Jun 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Downtrodden and desperate, Rachel Stone returns to the town of her youth (whose residents her deceased TV evangelical husband conned and all but bankrupted) to find a lost 5 million dollars to raise her five year old son, Edward.

The secondary plot line is just as ridiculous and insulting. Reverend Ethan Bonner (let’s not even discuss that the man hears the voice of God as three different celebs in his head) is as hypocritical as the lambasted TV evangelical, Dwayne. Attracted to scantily clad a
Sunny
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, a-contemporary
4.5 stars. This book rivals my favorite book by this author, Kiss an Angel. I struggled through the first part of the book because I could not handle how mean the townsfolk were to our heroine. I didn't even like our hero too much because I really thought, given Rachel's dire circumstances, he was taking advantage of her. I had to put the book down for a few days, that's how upset I was. Once, I re-engaged and let the story progress, it was magic.

Rachel represents the kind of heroine I love from this
Holly
Some romance books are great to read but usually they don’t make much of an emotional impact because they are just so far removed from your own life experiences. So maybe it's just because I also have a 5 year-old son like the heroine, but this book absolutely struck a chord with me (even though I don't have anything else in common with the heroine).

This is a really heartrending story about a single mother named Rachel who is more than down on her luck and is ostracized by the en
Nikki ღ Navareus
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody needing a good angst fix.
Recommended to Nikki ღ Navareus by: ~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~

***FIVE STARS***
My lovely friend Anna recommended this baby to me
(view spoiler),
and I couldn't have loved it more. I'm a sucker for angsty stories, and this one had it in spades. Poor Rachel was treated horrifically by an entire town for crimes she was unjustly blamed for. Destitute and emaciated, she couldn't get ahead, or get forgiveness from almost anybody in the entire town. Rachel never lost her strength, her pride, or he
Mandy
I loved this book! I have never read a book by this author before and I feel like I've been really missing out! I loved the writing, I loved the story, I loved that Gabe was the biggest asshole in the beginning (and for a good part of the book) and I loved that Rachel was one of the best heroines ever - strong, tough and smart - she was the perfect heroine. I was not expecting for this book to make me cry but it did. Little Edward <3 I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more by t ...more
Elle
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I don't cry when I read books or watch movies (apart from Air Bud, when I was 11) partly because I don't seek out stories that will make me cry, and partly because I have a cold cold heart. But with this book I found more than a few tears rolling down my cheeks.

Maybe this book caught me at a particularly emotional time, but I think not. It is more likely that the complex characters and their unfathomable situations were well written enough to touched me. Deeply. But it wasn't a hopeless type of
Denisa
As great as I expected it to be!

I started to expect great things from this author. And it continues to amaze me, never disappointing. I cried at this book like I haven't cried in a long time! And I absolutely adore the books that make me feel something.
It's a great read, really worth giving a try!
Lauren
Dream a Little Dream
4 Stars

After the loss of his wife and child, Gabe Bonner is only going through the motions of living. That is until Rachel Stone returns to Salvation, North Carolina desperate for a job to support her young son. Despite their rocky start, Rachel and Gabe find themselves inextricably drawn to one another, but can they overcome the traumas of the past to have a future together?

Series note: While books 1-3 can be read as standalones, book #4 is a direct continuation of/>Series
Snow
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

Two words: redemption & forgiveness

A solid read...
Vintage
I am on a re-read of Susan Elizabeth Phillips from quite a long time ago. This is one of her better books from the Chicago Stars series.

Rachel Stone is the despised widow of an evangelist that stole and stole and stole then blamed it all on his wife’s materialism. Unfortunately, he is dead now, and the buck stops with her. She’s on her way back to Salvation, NC to find some of the money he left behind. One, she has debts she has to pay, and, two, she has her 5 year old little boy to
Nikki
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
3 stars.

It's been quite a while between SEP reads for me hence why I picked this up off my TBR shelf last night. After such SEP beauties as Match Me If You Can and It Had to Be You, Dream a Little Dream left me a little disappointed, to be honest.

Despite such a promising storyline, the H/h didn't really capture my emotions and whilst I certainly felt for them in certain situations in the book, I found myself apathetic a lot of the time. I couldn't even stack this into any of my GR sh
Chitra *CJ*
This book..I cant even..WOW.
I mean. PERFECTION.
Two broken souls. One child. The story of finding redemption.
Rachel is the poor, impoverished widow of Dwayne, the leader of a cult group who embezzled the town, Salvation and ran away. She returns to the town destitute, with Edward- her 5 year old son who is a shy, quiet, sad boy.
Gabe, a widower whom we met previously in Cal's book is still shattered and depressed after losing his wife and child and has no drive to live anym

• Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities, #2)
  • True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team, #4)
  • Nothing But Trouble (Chinooks Hockey Team, #5)
  • Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)
  • Any Man of Mine (Chinooks Hockey Team, #6)
  • After the Night
  • Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1)
  • The Trouble With Valentine's Day (Chinooks Hockey Team, #3)
  • Simply Irresistible (Chinooks Hockey Team, #1)
  • Truly Madly Yours (Truly, Idaho, #1)
  • What Price Paradise
  • A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
  • Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3)
  • Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1)
  • About That Night (FBI/US Attorney, #3)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is the creator of the sports romance, beginning with her 1989 bestseller, FANCY PANTS. An internationally acclaimed author, her books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement A

Chicago Stars (8 books)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)
“The engine roared to life. He ran toward her. She shot our of her parking space. He rushed to the side of her car. "Stop it, Kristy! You're overreacting! Let's talk about this." That was when she did the unthinkable. She rolled down the window, thrust out her hand, and gave Reverend Ethan Bonner the bird.” 49 likes
“Ironic, isn't it, what religion does to people?"
"I guess it's more ironic what people do to religion.”
32 likes